fishing in the northeast

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
mike-maulicino
udonmap.com

fishing in the northeast

Post by mike-maulicino » December 1, 2007, 8:27 pm

hi to all
anybody do any fishing in this area,if so any info on where and what type and size fish are there,before i moved here in nov this year i owned and operated a fishing business in spain SALOU SPORT FISHING, as you can see from the name i was based in salou in catalunia,my customers were tourists in salou,i fished the river EBRO the best river in europe for catfish and carp, the catfish went up to 226 lb and the carp to 76lb,my personal best is 180lb cat and a 37lb carp,i think i can bust both my pb,s in thailand.
ive bought a bit of fishing equipment with me from spain enough for 3 people ,so if anybody has an intrest and would like to try a day out fishing ive got the gear,a motor ,and the time

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » December 2, 2007, 9:49 am

Mike
There is a small fishing pond that has large catfish up to 50 to 70 kilos. If you start at the Nong Khai highway at ring road go towards the airport and at the second light turn right, away from Udon and maybe 2k turn left. The sign is in thai and I would have never found it without wife and is hard to find still after having been there. They are open everyday but have fishing tournaments Fri, Sat and Sun. The big one is Sun with 10k baht first prize and 200 baht entry fee. 4 to 7 kilo pla suay are common and the larger fish are pla duk. Sunday it is very crowded and have never seen another farang there. Last time I was there 36 kilo pla duk won the Sunday tourney. The fish are catch and release only and bread crumbs with differnts flavors and smells added seem to be the most common bait they use. Rod rental and bait are available and food and drink as well.

Keg

mike-maulicino
udonmap.com

Post by mike-maulicino » December 2, 2007, 10:51 am

cheers keg
just going to have a look
mike

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 2, 2007, 7:38 pm

Fishing venues in the Northeast (Isaan) are a bit limited, but fishable waters do exist. If you have not already done so, you might check out the attached link for possibilities. There is nothing specific to the Northeast, but it my provide you with a starting point. Best of luck. http://www.megafishingthailand.com/

Fawn
udonmap.com

Re: fishing in the northeast

Post by Fawn » July 11, 2009, 5:45 pm

Bob H wrote:There certainly are earthworms in LOS...
I dig them up in the garden whenever I want to go fishing.
What fish are you looking to catch with earthworms or is it just a generic bait?

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 11, 2009, 6:21 pm

Fawn wrote:What fish are you looking to catch with earthworms or is it just a generic bait?
My son caught these fish using worms and bread today. Although not the biggest fish in the world - the bowl they are in is an average breakfast bowl to give some idea of the size. You will also note that they have already been prepared for tonights dinner.
fish.jpg
fish.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 3093 times

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 11, 2009, 6:24 pm

I'd rather have a catch that size than sit about all day with no bites. Enjoy dins dins O-T.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 11, 2009, 7:17 pm

Pretty generic really Fawn. What you are fishing for in Thailand depends a bit more on the depth you are fishing at rather than the bait. :D
That is only talking lake/pond fishing mind, I have never ventured to the might Mekong to drown any worms there :D :D That can be exciting I am told as there are some huge fish in there.. The local (to Udon) fishing lakes do have fish up to 5ish kilos, but I think most have only been in business for a short time. Give it a year or so & there will be some big ones there as well!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2009, 7:22 pm

Looks like tilapia (ปลานิล)! They fry up nicely....sort of like sunfish back in the US. Somewhere I read that an individual introduced them to the waters of Thailand. They're very common in this area of the country.
Enjoy!

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 11, 2009, 7:38 pm

BobHelm wrote:Pretty generic really Fawn. What you are fishing for in Thailand depends a bit more on the depth you are fishing at rather than the bait. :D
Funny, I've never really considered bait with respect to depth but it makes sense. I've seen my brother-in-law use chicken guts to fish for Catfish in the lakes around Udon and it seems to work.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 11, 2009, 7:54 pm

Yes, I think that catfish like just about anything that can be described as meat/fish. They are bottom feeders though.
The ones OT's son caught are, I think, Panine and are better caught on a float.
I often wondered about fly fishing here in Thailand. There are so many insects that you would have thought fish would go for flies. I have never seen anyone doing it though...
As I previously reported I did have a completely wasted afternoon spinning. Something that I have done with great success on lakes in the UK....
SO, as it seems to work, have reverted to float & worms - plus it is not too energetic & gives time to sup a beer while waiting.... :D :D
Oh the joys of an afternoon fishing, especially if something large & edible is caught...

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » July 11, 2009, 8:00 pm

Have you been to Samon Farm Bob? There are some very big fish in there, seen it with my own eyes, the missus caught a 25 kilo monster #-o and from all accounts there is one or two 50 kilo :shock:

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 11, 2009, 8:05 pm

Where's Samon Farm? :-k

The thing about fishing is that you continue to cast even though there's not a cat in hell's chance of getting a bite sometimes, it's addictive.

I used to sea fish off a harbour in NE Scotland on the high tide and I'd still be there some five hours later waiting for a bite, crazy. :confused:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 11, 2009, 8:11 pm

No never been there Roy...sounds a tad dangerous to me (I am less than 70 kgs :D :D ).
Could be fun though, as Fawn says any directions??

It is not quite so bad fishing in the lakes here Fawn. It is not exactly that you are fishing for "fed & captured" fish, but you can be certain that there are some fish out there :D :D

Roy
udonmap.com

Post by Roy » July 11, 2009, 8:19 pm

Here's a link to the previous thread on it http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... 38&start=0
Unfortunately the pic's of the wife with her hands on the monster have gone :lol: but I believe good directions can be found on it.
And as with all good fishing stories her catch has gone from 21 kilo's to the 25 kilo's I just quoted.

Roy
udonmap.com

Post by Roy » July 11, 2009, 8:22 pm

Ps If you plan on going avoid the weekends, they have competitions and it will be packed.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 11, 2009, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the link to the previous thread Roy, & the tip about weekends...
Are they still "catch & release"???

Roy
udonmap.com

Post by Roy » July 11, 2009, 8:45 pm

Yes Bob, they do have that thing were you can buy what you catch but always seemed a tad expensive to me. They did give me some free one day as I think they felt sorry for the stupid falang, not my finest hour in fishing terms :oops:
If you go on a Wednesday there is usually another Bob there who catches 10 to my 1 so be prepared to have your ego pummeled.
I am sure Ralph went a few weeks back and his son nearly pulled out one of the mythical fifties, 1 & 1/2 hours playing and lost it on a snag right at the bank #-o

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Post by BarnicaleBob » July 11, 2009, 10:43 pm

What about fishing licenses, are they required in Thailand? Has anyone fished any of the rivers or maybe even the Mekong?

BB

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 11, 2009, 10:52 pm

I've never had to get a licence when I've been fishing with the brother-in-law, BB. Maybe Bob Helm could tell you different.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”