Taladpa Nakha

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Taladpa Nakha

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 17, 2023, 2:31 pm

There is a very interesting wat located here. Here is just a block from the Nong Khai-Udon Thani highway at Nakha heading toward Ban Dung. The monks have built a temple complex and animal figures made from rice stalks. In fact, they are in the process of adding new features. If you are ever in the area, and want to see something different, I would recommend this place. The market is the usual, but there is some good food to be had including papaya salat.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Re: Taladpa Nakha

Post by Old Grumpy » February 18, 2023, 12:41 pm

It's called the Sakrai rice festival and is held every year about this time from the recent crop.A few photos from a previous year showing the size of the constuctions.\
rice2.JPG
rice3.JPG
rice4.JPG
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 18, 2023, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the information on this. I found it quite interesting, and hope that some day, I can figure out how to post photos on here. I hope you had a great birthday, and best wishes for your next journey around the Sun.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 18, 2023, 3:57 pm

No guarantee this is the same event, but judging by the home cable video and translation from Naka, I believe it it.
https://www.homecable.co.th/news/local/news_65301/

I believe it's all part of paying homage to the rice goddess (แม่โพสพ). When the planted rice is getting 'pregnant', villagers will call on the rice goddess to protect their fields. In Dec, after the rice is harvested, the ceremony invites the rice goddess to watch over the harvested rice in villagers' rice 'banks'. Sakhon Nakhon seems to be another area where this sort of rice sculpture is practiced.
http://www.mcc.cmu.ac.th/graduate/Agro7 ... lture.html

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 18, 2023, 4:57 pm

It looks the same to me. Thanks for this, Parrot, and the accompanying links. This is fascinating to me. You and Old Grumpy have made my day.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 6, 2024, 9:54 am

A revered temporary rice husk pagoda at Wat Nakathewi in Udon Thani province was engulfed in flames last night, leaving behind a charred metal framework.
https://thethaiger.com/wp-content/uploa ... 2/4-6.jpeg

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”