Day of the Dek

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
tamada
udonmap.com

Day of the Dek

Post by tamada » January 13, 2023, 3:29 pm

Children's Day tomorrow 14th.

The RTAF will be doing some showing off at the airport apparently. They've been practicing these past couple of days.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Day of the Dek

Post by parrot » January 13, 2023, 3:48 pm

Super Gymkhana races at TungSriMeuang tonight until 9PM and tomorrow as shown on the photo
Attachments
321486228_1219433055666921_4656597319672780342_n.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 14, 2023, 10:10 am

Sure was crowded at NP this morning, especially the area around the Fire Station.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 14, 2023, 8:35 pm

Didn't get to Wing 23 as early as promised so about 1 hour between leaving the house and getting parked just before 10 am. Mrs tam and the bairns bailed out during the gridlock and walked ahead like many others so they would get some actual show time. After parking, I had a beast of a job finding the entrance and made the mistake of entering where I saw a crowd of folk entering...into the 'food court' which was OUTSIDE the perimeter fence! Eventually, I got inside in time to see some dummy bombing runs, then some nice low passes with barrel rolls that had the crowd oohing and aahing. Some vertical climbs with pyrotechnics fired, great stuff for the kids. Then after the 3 'aerobatic' planes landed and parked up, there was a chopper with a couple of blokes abseiling. The RTAF ground troops then took on some 'insurgents' in a firefight. Apparently there was a K-9 display earlier while we were stuck in traffic.

Plenty tents and chairs set up as it was damn hot on the tarmac and they also let families squat under the wings of aircraft on display while the kids clambered over them. These were the older, semi-retired jets and trainers I guess as some newer aircraft were guarded with barriers set around them.

All in all a good show when we bailed out around noon-thirty as more and more people poured in for the afternoon session (repeat of the morning show). Escape was via some back lanes onto the south ring but it took an hour to get to Pizza Company in UD Town with huge gridlock at the ring-road/Khon Kaen lights: traffic for Wing 23 was backed up that far.

Top marks to Pizza Company for having extra staff on hand to keep the churn going and TBH that's the fastest, hottest pizza I've had in-house.

Kids still raising hell here at Casa tam but that ends at midnight!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 18, 2023, 12:17 pm

Good job, you did not have a Naval Helicopter dropping sweets etc fom above as down South, a few injured by the helicopters downdraft.

Personally the Thai Government should find alternatives to using the Military for childrens activities, but Youth groups here ae mainly school based and poorly run at that

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 11, 2024, 1:22 pm

Children's Day this weekend.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2024, 2:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
January 18, 2023, 12:17 pm
Good job, you did not have a Naval Helicopter dropping sweets etc fom above as down South, a few injured by the helicopters downdraft.

Personally the Thai Government should find alternatives to using the Military for childrens activities, but Youth groups here ae mainly school based and poorly run at that
Some of my most fun days out when I was a nipper was at "Air Day" at RNAS Lossiemouth. It was once where my dad forked out any eye-watering twenty quid so I could have a five minute loop of the airfield in an ancient, yellow Avro Anson with some other kids, one of whom wet himself. Apart from the Fairey Gannett that crashed spectacularly in front of the public gallery one year, it was a grand day out. Got to stand within a few feet of The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Charles and Princess Anne one year when my dad managed to get us into the wrong enclosure.

I learned recently that some high schools and colleges here have "army class" where attendees get to bypass the national conscription malarkey. Not sure if it's akin to OTC in the US or what.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2024, 2:15 pm

I'm in Bali this weekend. What's on for the kids back home?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”