Ornithology Udon Thani

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Ornithology Udon Thani

Post by chopperjoey » April 25, 2020, 6:26 pm

Udon Thani Bird Watching.

Last week i did buy a simple compact 1000 baht 10x22 binocular.
Some common city birds are easy to spot without binoculars like the Coucal bird (magnificant chicken sized tree dweller), Red Whiskered Bulbul, Mynah Bird, Asian Magpie Robin (amazing little fellow hopping and singing around), Zebra Dove, Black Drongo, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow.

Other city birds are not easy to spot because they tend to keep a distance from people, and are overlooked but they are common here in Udon Thani City (within the ring road.)

Just a few casual bird watching moments with my new binocular; Red Turtle Dove, Spotted Dove, Sooty Headed Bulbul (bird with the cutest ass in town!), Open Billed Stork, Asian Golden Weaver, Moor Hen, and a handfull of unidentified birds...

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Re: Ornithology Udon Thani

Post by chopperjoey » December 2, 2020, 5:47 pm

Peregrin Falcon spotted in Udon Thani.

any birders in Udon Thani? Its amazing how many beautiful and interestingbirds there are in Udon Thani city.

This week almost everyday spotted a peregrine falcon wizzing around near the Makro. Today, punctual as ever, late afternoon there he was, taking a ten minute break at the high Makro sign. Today could take a photo, its not very clear but enough to positively identify the bird as a peregrine falcon.

According to the bird guidebook of Thai birds, this bird hasnt been spotted yet in Udon Thani. Other birds i've seen also have noyt yet been seen in Udon Thani according tho the guidebook. Still a lot of exciting birding to do in Udon Thani.
Attachments
FOTO_20201202_171301.jpg
FOTO_20201202_170928.jpg
FOTO_20201202_170928.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 3646 times

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 2, 2020, 7:24 pm

A few years ago we had this raptor hanging around our home in tambon Ban Jan. Not sure which one it is but nice to watch. The photos are not so great as had to use the zoom. I think it might be a common kestrel.

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » December 3, 2020, 7:23 am

Awesome photos, the bird doesnt seem to be afraid of people.

According to my birding guidebook its a Eurasian Kestrel and not yet spotted here in Udon Thani.
Attachments
IMG_20201203_070426.jpg
IMG_20201203_070413.jpg

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 3, 2020, 11:43 am

I Googled Eurasian Kestral and came up with this:

In Thai: เหยี่ยวเคสเตรล, yiew khestrel

Binomial name: Falco tinnunculus, Carolus Linnaeus, 1758

The common kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) is a bird of prey species belonging to the kestrel group of the falcon family Falconidae. It is also known as the European kestrel, Eurasian kestrel, or Old World kestrel.

Appears to be one and the same.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”