Any interest in a Quiz night

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Any interest in a Quiz night

Post by MusicalBars » July 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Talking on Thursady a few people seemed intrested in starting a twice monthly Quia night in central Udon most likely a Wednesday is there any interest?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Any interest in a Quiz night

Post by stattointhailand » July 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

Probably trying for once a month would be a better idea, then if there was enough regular support increase it to twice monthly. Glyn had a monthly quiz back in the day, and that attracted anywhere between 10 and 30 with a solid base support each month and many others who came when they could. Sadly several of those regulars have passed away over the years or left the district, but it could certainly be a winner if the correct quizmaster were chosen and the questions didnt favour one Nationality over another......... eg 5 cricket questions and only 1 US football or Baseball etc etc or vice versa

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » July 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

I would certainly be interested, and agree that it might be better to start with a monthly quiz and then make it twice a month if there is sufficient demand.

Bouph
udonmap.com

Post by Bouph » July 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

[-X
Last edited by Bouph on November 7, 2018, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 28, 2018, 8:54 pm

Bouph wrote:
July 28, 2018, 8:05 pm
One of the benefits of Glyn's quiz was it's location in what is now Empire Villa in Nongsamrong.
Facing the increasing amount of evening traffic in the town is going to dissuade some people.
It's a nice idea, though.
I'm sure Glyn would have said completely the opposite ........ he would have got far more attending if the Retreat had not been so "off the beaten track" ........ people didnt want to have to drive home at 11pm or midnight and the chance of a tuk tuk back into town was virtually nil, as opposed to loads ready to bring punters out of town.

calliet
udonmap.com

Post by calliet » November 2, 2018, 3:33 pm

Did the quiz night push through? I'm quite interested...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 3, 2018, 12:04 pm

Last I heard, the last effort for an inaugural Soi Sampan quiz night was a bit of a damp squib since despite decent advertising that built up over several weeks herein, it apparently clashed with longer-standing, largely unadvertised and totally unmentioned quiz night somewhere over in Romyen. Only after the damp squib fizzled, was the other quiz ever mentioned in dispatches.

I suspect quiz nights will be a bit like sausages and pies...

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » November 3, 2018, 4:34 pm

no no suport for the quiz night the other place that was doing it every thursday was los amigos not sure if its still going

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » November 3, 2018, 5:06 pm

If you really can't find the other quiz night venue I wouldn't bother turning up!
It is certainly widely advertised

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » November 8, 2018, 7:29 pm

So I understand that there IS a regular quiz night in Udon Thani. I have also read that it is certainly widely advertised. I do not live in Udon town, although I would be prepared to visit for the quiz, so could someone please let me know when, where, and how often it is held.

I have always maintained that any city that does not have a regular quiz and a Hash House Harriers is not really a city.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 9, 2018, 7:33 am

caducus wrote:
November 8, 2018, 7:29 pm
So I understand that there IS a regular quiz night in Udon Thani. I have also read that it is certainly widely advertised. I do not live in Udon town, although I would be prepared to visit for the quiz, so could someone please let me know when, where, and how often it is held.

I have always maintained that any city that does not have a regular quiz and a Hash House Harriers is not really a city.
We'll need to wait for hairyharry to give us a link to the 'widely advertised' quiz night.

As for the HHH, there's been a recent spark of life reported and I believe Jingjoes is the new hash venue but I am buggered if I can find a link to the quite recent thread on their revival.

Maybe things are widely advertised but as far as this forum goes, the placement of some of the adverting may be a bit strange.

That and search engines that suck.

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » November 9, 2018, 8:48 am

Actually I think the bar that hosts the weekly quiz night should be responding as they do not advertise on this site any longer. There is little chance of my winning as it is so I certainly don't want any extra competition. :D

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 9, 2018, 9:28 am

I was told there was a quiz held on a Sunday afternoon as Tamada said somewhere near Romyen.
Will try to find out the location & time.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 9, 2018, 2:43 pm

Quiz is held at JB Resort at 4 PM on a Sunday.

At the moment there are only about 4-5 teams so I would think more would be welcome.

JB Resort is about 50 meters past T Bar.

It is actually Steve & Malees old place which has been converted into a small resort.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 9, 2018, 11:00 pm

I heard a monthly quiz was at Amigos (or the establishment formerly known as Amigos?) but that was second-hand/anecdotal so anyone seriously into quizzes (I'm not) knows where to start asking.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”