Keeping yourself sane in retirement

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
nmp
udonmap.com

Keeping yourself sane in retirement

Post by nmp » August 31, 2010, 6:57 pm

I am looking forward to my retirement, though I am also a bit scared...what will I do? I have worked hard my whole life and I suppose since retiring from sport 20 years ago I haven't done much apart from a bit of fishing and watching sport. I've thought about volunteer work, but you need a work permit for that I believe. I have dabbled in golf, I supppose I could do that. Did anyone ever see that British show Last of the summer wine with the old guys getting into trouble etc? I'd like to think of myself wandering around UT with a few friends like those guys, 5555555555555.

Any thoughts or suggestions about keeping sane in retirement?

Tafia
udonmap.com

Re: Keeping yourself sane in retirement

Post by Tafia » August 31, 2010, 7:57 pm

I read a bit more, not having had time for it with long shifts whilst working, I attend Thai lessons and ride out with a few mates on a bicycle, nothing too much just a steady pedal around the city exploring different areas, surprising what's around when you have the time to look.
I exchanged my watch for a calender and still the days merge into each other.
I remember all the times I promised myself a laid back, relaxed retirement, well I have it now.
I dabbled in golf years ago and have been toying with the idea of maybe trying again and I'm thinking more about taking up fishing, having never done it...keep your mind open to ideas and opportunities there's always something to do and its surprising how quickly the time goes.
One rule I did make when I came here was that I wouldn't become a breakfast time drinker; and I've maintained it by not taking a drink until around 8-9pm..it's an easy road to go down. I know its each to their own and to some my life will be quite boring but it suits me.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2010, 8:16 pm

I found that joining and participating in a well rounded and moderated local forum, with a good balance, range and tolerance of different ages, personalities and opinions has helped. :D

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » August 31, 2010, 8:18 pm

Can you recommend one?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2010, 8:20 pm

Not one that would have you as a member. :lol:

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » August 31, 2010, 8:42 pm

JS...what makes you think you're wanted?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2010, 9:03 pm

Probably all the PMs I get NOLA.

But it seems we are going off topic. Can you add anything? :D

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 31, 2010, 10:04 pm

Although not near retirement, Ive found there are lots of things to do in Udon and while on holiday there the days do seem to meld into one another!

JS, not nice when someone implies that you are no good is it?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2010, 10:10 pm

Water off a duck's back Dermot - I can give it, and I can take it. \:D/

I adopted that policy when I was a "newbie". :D

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 31, 2010, 10:14 pm

Im not taking the bait JS! hahahhahahh

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » August 31, 2010, 11:20 pm

brothels >booze>hammock ,continue this process every day

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 31, 2010, 11:36 pm

izzix wrote:brothels >booze>hammock ,continue this process every day
Congratulations izzix, for two things : giving up posting on the ---- UT forum, and secondly, gathering the strength to post without copying and pasting.
Talking about something else, I remember being at a Night Market get together and everyone took the p1ss out of you, a little bit, and took the p1ss out of beer monkey relentlesly because he's on a disabled pension. I'm not sure how true that is but the whole of the UT forum said he was some kind of flid.

OT.......grassing up...... \:D/

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » August 31, 2010, 11:56 pm

thanx for your kind words OT ,i am not proud i will post anywhere .
its when people stop talking about ya you have to worry .

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 1, 2010, 3:18 am

Some of my plans for retirement to the LOS include items to bring from the U.S. to Thailand:

Books - I've been building a library of a few hundred books. I enjoy reading history. Macro-economics, philosophy really, is another interest and I like to talk about economics or finances. There are a dozen or so cookbooks that I use. And others.

CDs - Music I like from the mid-50s to mid-70s. Some quality films I can rewatch (High noon, Gigi, White Christmas, To Catch a Thief, Harvey).

Kitchen stuff - Cooking is my recreation and I have quality items such as All-Clad pots that will go with me.

Golf clubs - If I got them maybe I'll use them.

Clothes - Shoes found in the U.S. are more comfortable, sports shirts better looking.

Money - The U.S. and other western nations will have higher inflation. Exchange rates will not improve.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 1, 2010, 3:51 am

old-timer wrote:
izzix wrote:brothels >booze>hammock ,continue this process every day
Congratulations izzix, for two things : giving up posting on the ---- UT forum, and secondly, gathering the strength to post without copying and pasting.
Talking about something else, I remember being at a Night Market get together and everyone took the p1ss out of you, a little bit, and took the p1ss out of beer monkey relentlesly because he's on a disabled pension. I'm not sure how true that is but the whole of the UT forum said he was some kind of flid.

OT.......grassing up...... \:D/
:badteeth: ...you know you can't use the other forum as you are banned.....that still digs away at you..amazing really that something like that has affected you so bad, its only a forum after all...don't take things so hard, and you know dick all about me..there are very few people that do..and you ain't one of em... plus you regularly mention to everyone how well off you are so you probably don't need one you look like you should be on one..

BM...working most of the time... \:D/

(They finished that 10000baht temple yet old chap..?)

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 1, 2010, 5:45 am

beer monkey wrote:
BM...working most of the time... \:D/

(They finished that 10000baht temple yet old chap..?)
Which megathread relates to this cheaper than chips Temple,can you post a link.ta vely much 8)

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 1, 2010, 7:05 am

Well, to get back on how to keep sane.

1. A good woman, or a few bad ones!
2. An internet connection - if you have not got one, an excuse to go into town for a bit most days.
3. Fishing - there are a number of places to go, good a couple of times a week.
4. Gardening. There is always something you can do, a gardeners work is never done.
5, Books, music, Tv, films - as you prefer.
6. The grand project - that book you always meant to write, do some research (I used to be a freshwater biologist years ago), painting, something else artistic.
7. Meet friends and chat, or fix the world.

If i get all that done, there will be no time for the wifes shopping expeditions and all the visits to family she has planned.

As a last resort, sitting by your self in a bar with a bottle - If that happens, revise list above and start again.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » September 1, 2010, 7:26 am

With hindsight as my guide,I would say the first thing to do is learn to take long relaxing breaths,do some medatative slowing down and relaxing!Start out with a long easy vacation attitude,then each day or so,expand your new routines of living retired in Thailand!

Many things will seem almost 180 degrees different than what you are used to in your home country,don't react negatively w/o understanding the difference,the reasoning behind it,then,incorp it into your life ,or not,but ,above all accept the differences!

Your retirement ''niche'' will slowly develop over time and you will find that the hours of the day get shorter and shorter! :lol:

Above all,don't rush anymore,remember that you are retired and don't have to!Like anything in life ,some time is needed for adjusting,relax and enjoy!You will eventually find more than enough things to get rid of the projected fear of ''going insane''! :lol: :lol:

Legally all work including volunteering,requires a WP,but if a gov't or community asks you to volunteer,you will not encounter any problems about a WP.If you are offending or competing with Thais,flagrantly blocking their ability to earn,you will have problems concerning WP's!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 1, 2010, 11:31 am

Some good 'things' to do from rick & TJ and a nice retirement 'attitude' post from stan..
I think there has been some good pointers on slowing down & enjoying life at a slower pace too. Thailand has quite a variety of different place to see for a small country. The odd trip away (Chang Mai/Rai, some of the islands etc.) can be interesting. Remembering that time is your own & that part of the fun is in the planning & organising, it can be done inexpensively as well. Some of LA's trip reports around Thailand (plus another interesting one I can remember about a boat trip down the Mekong) are well worth the read to give some inspiration.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » September 1, 2010, 12:01 pm

Don't think too hard about it. It's not a job. Just let it happen.

I marvel at UM posters telling me how to dress when I visit a brothel-bar, how to retire, how to make a proper breakfast.
Damn, what's next? A thread on how to breathe?

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”