Another fishing query

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
cambsangler
udonmap.com

Another fishing query

Post by cambsangler » December 13, 2009, 5:04 am

I am looking to move out to Udon Thani within the next year and love to do a spot of fishing wherever and whenever possible.
I have seen on the forum a few posts about fishing in parks and lakes but no mention of the rivers that flow to the north of the city. Anyone know anything about the potential of the river system?

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Another fishing query

Post by rick » December 14, 2009, 10:10 am

Well, i have not actually found out much about the river fishing, but the impression i get is that:-

1. because of the dry season, most small streams, rivers and ditches dry up, therefore rarely many fish in them; due to local subsistence fishing, any fish there are usually small. hence not much serious angling.

2. Mekong has potential and have seen Thais fishing; but do not know how successful they are. i suspect that again commercial fisherman ensure that good fishing is not that common.

3. The rice paddies (when wet) and surrounding permanent waters have fish in them; any seasonal running water nearby is probably worth a try.

4. All the anglers i know stick to lakes/ponds.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 14, 2009, 10:42 am

I have never tried fishing the rivers around Udon either.
My reluctance stems from the fact that I would have no idea when & where I would be stepping on the toes of a local person's livelihood or taking their food supply. There are undoubtedly some very large fish in the Mekong & would probably be good fishing, but you would probably need to seek local advice as to where it would be acceptable. The fishing parks are easy & you know you are helping local businesses rather than, maybe, inadvertently, causing resentment.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 14, 2009, 8:00 pm

I watch the fishermen in Nong Khai fishing the Mekong everyday,I rarely see them catch anything!When I have seen them catch something,it is not very big.The same with the guys in the boats trying to net fish,rarely anything in the nets! :-s

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » December 21, 2009, 5:40 pm

certainly the Mekong itself is pretty much 'fished out' and most stretches where you can fish (albeit small ones) are 'owned' by local fishermen who, I'm sure, would not be best pleased to have a falang 'muscling in' on their 'private fishing areas'. There are several good fishing parks around the area - check out irishclockudonthani.com website for regular fishing updates/tip/ pictures from local venues.

cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » December 30, 2009, 10:51 am

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I visited Nong Kai just a few days ago and found the Mekong to be a somewhat daunting looking bit of river,much to much water.

Maybe the commercial fisheries are where I need to focus my attention I guess

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”