What is there to do for all ages?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Kelsy

What is there to do for all ages?

Post by Kelsy » September 30, 2009, 3:53 am

Hi,

I'm coming out to Udon in 2 weeks for a stay of 3 weeks for Dad's wedding. Very much looking forward to it but not sure what to expect. We have been to Pattaya & Phuket before.

I am 27 with an 8 year old daughter, my sister and her husband are 30 with two children 10 & 4. Is there plenty to do & see for all ages? Us adults also like a good night out too, what is the nightlife/entertainment like?

Thanks

Kels

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: What is there to do for all ages?

Post by BobHelm » September 30, 2009, 9:53 am

I think that you are going to struggle to keep the kids amused.
In fact the only thing that I can think of that is especially aimed at children is the mini golf & climbing wall.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/m ... 14428.html
You could try & get the kids interested in fishing as there is a fair bit available in the area.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/f ... t7057.html
A hotel with a pool will be pretty much a must I would think - although some of the resorts just on the edge of Udon have nice pools as well.
Plenty of golf available if you can get them into that.
Else it is 'site seeing' really.....plenty of Wats to visit, but I guess that will quickly pale.. :D
The Mekong (& Kong Khai itself) is well worth a visit - however we are still in the 'wet season' so I, personally, would NOT suggest a boat trip on it as a way of spending your time.
There are some National Parks & other geological sites worth seeing for adults - not so sure about smaller ones though..
Udon is not really geared up for tourists, especially family tourists, so you may have to think a bit 'outside the box' to keep everyone entertained all the time.
The North of Thailand (Chang Mai/Rai) is a good days car ride away (I usually make it a two day drive myself) & might be worth considering. Equally it may be a good idea to actually spend a week of your 3 (many would say 2 weeks of the 3 :D ) at the beach rather than in Udon....
Plane tickets (back to BKK) are easily date changed in Udon & it is less than an hour away that way...

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 30, 2009, 10:04 am

What about the aquarium at the university near Nong Khai,saw it mentioned somewhere else on a post,indoors from the rain? since coming soo the rainy season could well extend into your trip.

So bring your International Drivers licence with you but remember the Thai way of driving is different to back home.If they flash at you it means they are going fast not giving you the go ahead to cross their path!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 30, 2009, 10:17 am

Hi Kelsy, welcome to the forum.

For starters I'd recommend hiring a car to explore the area.

Here are some ideas for things to do as listed in our magazine guide:

1. Visit the local museum (Map H9)
2. Evening walk and feed the fish at Nong Prajak Park (Map I7)
3. Dinner at a lakeside restaurant (Map I6)
4. Shopping at the night markets (Map P12)
5. Visit City Shrine, take photos at dusk. (Map K9)
6. Shopping at the city Mall (Map O11)
7. Enjoy a relaxing massage (Map J8, O12, 013)
8. Sample the food at the local night market ( P12)
9. Listen to live music at UD Bazaar (Map Q12)
10. Play a game of tennis, swim or work out at BB Fitness Club (Map G1)
11. Take a short Thai language course with Ajarn Shuan Tel. 085-683-3125
13. Visit a local produce market (Map L6)
14. Buy some silk from Naa Kha Silk Weaving Village (Page 55 Map D4)
15. Visit the beautiful Phu Phra Bat Historical Park (Page 55 Map C3)
16. Explore Suwannakhu Cave (Page 55 Map C3)
17. Enjoy the waterfall at Nam Tok Yung Forest Park (Page 55 Map B3)
18. Visit Ban Chiang Museum & heritage site. There is also a winery close by for wine tasting (Page 55 E4)
19. Enjoy a day out or camp overnight at Phu Foilom Park. The waterfall looks best this time of the year. (Page 55 Map D5)
20. Visit Kham Chanot forest temple (Page 55 Map E3)
21. Watch a live band play on top of the Ton Koon 22. Hotel with nice views
over Udon Map K9.
23. Enjoy fresh water BBQ shrimps and the local delicacy ‘Somtam’ by the lake (Page 55 D4) Lot's of restaurants like this on route 2 towards Nong Khai
24. Have a day out fishing at Sabai Sabai fishing park or Nongsai fishing park
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... 12772.html
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/s ... 75-30.html
25. Play mini golf or tackle the climbing wall http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/s ... 75-30.html
26. Take a day or two to visit Nong Khai for the Ta Sadet Market, temples and Sala Kaew Ku Statue Park http://www.nongkhaimap.com
27. Play ten-pin bowling 3rd floor Central Plaza
28. Watch a movie at Majorplex cinema
29. If you have young kids there are mini play parks at Nong Prajak Park, Nong Sim Park, Nong Bua Park and UD Bazaar.

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » September 30, 2009, 10:23 am

Kels,

Being an upstanding member of the expat community I wish to offer my services as local guide, translator and all around super hero for you upcoming stay in Udonthani.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 30, 2009, 10:26 am

Here are a couple of pages from our magazine you may find useful. There's not much in Udon geared towards children I'm afraid.
page16.jpg
page16.jpg (291.94 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
page18.jpg
page18.jpg (279.57 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 30, 2009, 10:26 am

Kels,he needs the money to open his new enterprise, coming soon to Udon,decline his services immediately :D

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » September 30, 2009, 10:38 am

Da, Da, Da Pomps, strange comment from the man who begged me to open a gay bar and said it was just what Udon needed!

In all seriousness Kels you will be stretched to find something for the kids to do unless they like walking up stairs or going belly down in caves, all of which are a good drive away.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2009, 10:48 am

Go to Erawan Cave.....700 steps up, then inside a large cave at the top of the mountain. Bring a rechargeable LED flashlight, available from Lotus for <150 baht.

On the same road as the Ban Chiang Hotel, just around the corner from Phosri Rd, there's a large market. No photo album from Udon would be complete without a photo of the pig faces (they're real) on sale along the sidewalk.

Bowling at the complex or at Big C.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 30, 2009, 10:50 am

Kelsy wrote:Hi,

I'm coming out to Udon in 2 weeks for a stay of 3 weeks for Dad's wedding. Very much looking forward to it but not sure what to expect. We have been to Pattaya & Phuket before.

I am 27 with an 8 year old daughter, my sister and her husband are 30 with two children 10 & 4. Is there plenty to do & see for all ages? Us adults also like a good night out too, what is the nightlife/entertainment like?

Thanks

Kels
Hi kels.. keep ya eye out for Roy during your stay in sunny Udon,,, cant miss im he floats like abutterfly and stings like a bee and yes he does wear his undies on the outside of his troosers.

I ve been in Udon only 6 months and have an 8 yr old son seriously difficult to keep kids occupied here , the parks are all really nice , and the mini golf n climbing wal is ok. ref night life - i think its ok but im an old fart.

One thing to add to your list of things to do is a visit to the world famous CHERN CHIM deli cafe and have a fatboy !! the two young lads who run it are top geezers and very handsome .

hope u have anice time.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 30, 2009, 11:30 am

As parrot mentioned there is bowling at Big C.
Also at the Complex as well - although I have always found it quite expensive by Udon standards there.
There is also a multiplex cinema in the Complex (features are advertised on the first floor as you go in). Although you will be lucky if you can find an English language film, or even one with English sub titles - the films are released at the same time as in USA so before UK release for most big box office items - so a chance to see the latest James Bond before anyone else in UK, even if you can't understand a word of it... :D
Adult night time activity is really around bars & restaurants for visitors.
There are some good quality Falang restaurants & also some excellent quality Thai & Issan offerings - it is sometimes necessary to be not to fussy about 'hygiene' (well as required by H&S in UK) for the later.
The 'bars' are really concentrated in two areas now - within easy walking distance from each other. Nutty Park & Day & Night. I would normally have recommended Nutty Park to visitors over D&N. The later was a bit of an 'in your face' establishment when it opened. However I paid it a visit earlier this week & was pleasantly surprised at the change in there. A lot of the bars have recently seemed to change hands & many of the new owners seem to be trying a little more relaxed approach (& less noisy) to the trade. The original owners who remain seem (to me) to be the ones that wanted to make a good business out of it in the first place & are developing it along more suitable lines for Udon Thani.
Could still do with MANY more customers though....
There are also some nice bars worth dropping into on the walk between D&N and NP - also some others (like Fiddlers Green) that are just off the direct route which are worth a visit...

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 30, 2009, 11:55 am

If you don't mind a 1 hour's drive there is a fresh water beach at Ubonrat lake reservoir. I beleive you can hire boats too.

Take Route 2 south towards Khon Kaen, look for the signs to Ubonrat Dam (approx 85km), turn left and follow for approx 10km. There are some nice resorts there too.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 30, 2009, 12:34 pm

One of the restaurants, I believe it is Jingoes, has a good stock of western films they show on a screen to the customers. They let you select what you would care to see. The Thai tv is very limited in foreign films.

You can rent bicycles at Nong Prajack Park and either ride about the lake or tour the side streets.

There are many internet shops where kids play computer games for about fifty cents an hour. Some have the play stations or whatever those things are.

If you go to the popular Maya restaurant the kids might have a chance to feed a baby elephant at the enterance. You pay 20 baht for the bananas or other to hand feed it.

Staying at a hotel with a swiming pool is likely the best bet for keeping the kids occupied. Maybe buy a badmitton set.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 30, 2009, 12:42 pm

A few random thoughts about some of the really good info above.....

Bowling at Big C? Thought they shut that one down due to lack of business? Would be good to hear that they have re-opened. There was a fine snooker room up in that area. Do your kids shoot snooker, Kels? For money? [-o<

Movies at the mall? Yeah, hard to find one with English soundtrack or subtitles. Better off to find the stalls that sell the latest cheap :pirate: DVD movies and some timeless classics including lots for the kids to enjoy. I like the place across from KFC on bottom floor of Big C.

One of my favorite features about Udon is the highway going south that will take you to the beaches several hours away. Life can be beautiful here. 8)

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » September 30, 2009, 1:24 pm

Lots of good suggestions so far. I would add the Sirindhorn Dinosaur Museum. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it if your kids are into dinosaurs. Another good idea would be to spend a few days in Chiang Mai. There are elephant parks, tiger zoos, whitewater rafting, and you can get excursions to some of the hill tribe villages. Hard to say what will turn them on without knowing them, kids are so different from each other. Be sure to bring lots of books and games to keep them occupied for down time in the hotel (when you want to relax and they get bored). Have fun. Since you've already been to Pattaya and Phuket, you will find Issan a VERY different part of Thailand.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » September 30, 2009, 2:17 pm

Hi Kels, as parrot mentioned the caves a erawan worth a visit and on the way back stop off for lunch at Phu pa pai not far from the caves a lake with floating rafts where you can enjoy freshly cooked fish, chicken, som tam ect. this is also available at ubonrat dam another great location also mentioned by other members.also driving through loei plenty of places to stop off and admire some excellent views.
Whatever you do have a great time and if you need help udonmap and its members are always there to help. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2009, 2:49 pm

Phufoilum for an afternoon......maybe even rent a tent and camp out.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 30, 2009, 3:28 pm

Ubonrat Dam the kids will love it, amazing place you'd think your on the coast.
Banana boat rides and tubes for the kids.

individual Cobra Show in Ampur Phong/Kranuan, not that far from Ubonrat.
The kids will love getting up close to the snakes, and lots of photo oppotunities.

A day at Nong Khai and shopping at the Indo-Chine Market, repair to one of the many riverside cafes for lunch.

Nightlife.

Mr Tongs.

The UD Center, live music good food and a wide selection for the kids. Nice clean toilets.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 30, 2009, 4:38 pm

Kelsy, it might take a couple of days to settle in but as soon as the kids click with the village kids, no problem they will just run around having fun and do what kids do without adult interference. Amusing yourselves will be the biggest problem. Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet, or go to a bar and kick your feat up, but don't expect to be entertained like the Tourist spots. Life can be very beautiful in Udon if you don't expect much :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 30, 2009, 5:15 pm

Kelsy,
Like others have said,your main problem in Udon will be keeping kids of 4,8 and 10 amused.
Personally,I think it would be very difficult and we wouldnt want a situation where your Dad gets married but both you and your sister end up getting divorced ! 8)
If I were you I would just stay one week in Udon and have two weeks on the coast.Hua-Hin is on the opposite side of the Gulf of Thailand to Pattaya and has 4 miles of beach.Plenty for the kids to see and do and the nightlife is a lot tamer than Pattaya but plenty of bars/restaurants for a good night out.
When you stay in Udon I reckon a central hotel with a pool is a must.....possibly the Charoen or Centara hotels.
From either of these hotels you are within walking distance of shopping,restaurants and bars.
The Central shopping complex has ten pin bowling and also a multiplex cinema.You might be lucky and get a film with English sub-titles.
Nong Prajak is worth seeing in the evening and is where the locals exercise.Plenty of small restaurants on the far side of the lake but for foreigners,Good Everything restaurant opposite the main park gates is the best.Nong Prajak is nearly 2 miles to walk around and you can hire bikes for 20 baht per hour.Transport from the centre to Nong Prajak will cost between 80-100 baht.
As others have said,good day trips will include Nong Khai,Ubonrat dam near Khon Kaen (maybe stay 1 night at the Sofitel (Pullman) in Khon Kaen,the only 5 star hotel in Issan) and Phuprabhat park.
Nightlife in Udon is OK....centred mainly around Nutty Park,Nightmarket/UD Plaza and Soi Samphan where there is the Irish Clock bar/restaurant if you want a taste of home !
Another place mentioned for good english food is Chern-Chim on Adunyadet Road but the two guys that run the place support Scunthorpe and Sunderland,so be careful ! :D
A decent outside restaurant is at the Charoen Hotel that does western and thai food,also live music and live Premiership football if you are into that.
Eating for the kids includes KFC,Pizza Co,Sizzler and Svensens ice cream in the Central complex also Black Canyon at Tesco's out on the ring road if you wanted another reminder of the UK !
Good luck and have a good time whatever you choose.I do think 3 weeks in Udon with small kids is too long,though.
What does your Dad think ??

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”