What is there to do for all ages?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
robyd

Re: What is there to do for all ages?

Post by robyd » September 30, 2009, 6:31 pm

Thanks for all ur comments guys - u have all been really helpful! x

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 30, 2009, 7:01 pm

Well I can't comment on the kids fun, but my English daughter certainly enjoyed the atmosphere at Tawang Daeng, opposite the Chareonsri Grand, and she's nearly fifty. :lol:

robyd

Post by robyd » September 30, 2009, 11:02 pm

Hi All

My sister in law was shocked by the amount or replies! (2 posts up was her)

The common theme from everyone was that it is not the most ideal place for kids but to be honest our experiences from the past and the amount of suggestions i think they have more to do then before!!

Thanks all for the effort of replying and i really fancy camping out overnight!!

Just incase any of you know him, Gordon Payne (grandad/dad) lives in Baing chaing so were be around the area. Also FYI we are staying at the Happy Resort for a week and then to a Hotel for the last week (Bangkok for first 4 days)

Cheers Rob

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » October 1, 2009, 9:25 am

Golly, is that all- what are they going to do on the second day,55555 :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 1, 2009, 10:03 am

I think it did get mentioned earlier, but 10 pin bowling in the main shopping compleks (complex) is one to keep in mind, particularly if they feel the heat, as it is Air Conditioned, as of course is the shopping complex. ;)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 1, 2009, 10:44 am

arjay wrote:I think it did get mentioned earlier, but 10 pin bowling in the main shopping compleks (complex) is one to keep in mind, particularly if they feel the heat, as it is Air Conditioned, as of course is the shopping complex. ;)
Should you decide on bowling, lanes 1-3 have have rails for the kids. Just ask to have them raised.

Kelsy

Post by Kelsy » October 2, 2009, 5:13 am

jimboLV wrote:Lots of good suggestions so far. I would add the Sirindhorn Dinosaur Museum. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it if your kids are into dinosaurs. Another good idea would be to spend a few days in Chiang Mai. There are elephant parks, tiger zoos, whitewater rafting, and you can get excursions to some of the hill tribe villages. Hard to say what will turn them on without knowing them, kids are so different from each other. Be sure to bring lots of books and games to keep them occupied for down time in the hotel (when you want to relax and they get bored). Have fun. Since you've already been to Pattaya and Phuket, you will find Issan a VERY different part of Thailand.

Think my nephew would looove this, definitely!! Thanks x

Kelsy

Post by Kelsy » October 2, 2009, 5:14 am

Ter wrote:Hi Kels, as parrot mentioned the caves a erawan worth a visit and on the way back stop off for lunch at Phu pa pai not far from the caves a lake with floating rafts where you can enjoy freshly cooked fish, chicken, som tam ect. this is also available at ubonrat dam another great location also mentioned by other members.also driving through loei plenty of places to stop off and admire some excellent views.
Whatever you do have a great time and if you need help udonmap and its members are always there to help. :D
The rafts sound good, cheers for the info! x

Kelsy

Post by Kelsy » October 2, 2009, 5:16 am

Aardvark wrote:Kelsy, it might take a couple of days to settle in but as soon as the kids click with the village kids, no problem they will just run around having fun and do what kids do without adult interference. Amusing yourselves will be the biggest problem. Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet, or go to a bar and kick your feat up, but don't expect to be entertained like the Tourist spots. Life can be very beautiful in Udon if you don't expect much :D
I fully intend to, thanks, cant wait to chill x

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » October 2, 2009, 3:43 pm

youll find the nightlife ok in udon but difficult with young kids as its not really a tourist place.
plenty of day trips mentioned by others but one other you should consider is over the bridge from nong khai into laos.the capital vientiane is only 20 kilometres away and plenty of transport available from the border.
vientiane right on the river,plenty of good foreign restarants,hotels not too expensive,old french colonial city.worth the trip if you come this far.

sean

redgoglac
udonmap.com

Post by redgoglac » November 17, 2009, 5:39 pm

I am taking my 6 year old daughter in the New Year and will be staying in Nong Wua So and would like to know which are the closest hotels with good pools and how to get to the beaches mentioned above. Thanks in advance.

redgoglac
udonmap.com

Post by redgoglac » November 17, 2009, 5:42 pm

Sorry to sound thick but when is the rainy season?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 18, 2009, 9:13 am

redgoglac wrote:Sorry to sound thick but when is the rainy season?
Not until around May !

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 18, 2009, 9:42 am

redgoglac wrote:I am taking my 6 year old daughter in the New Year and will be staying in Nong Wua So and would like to know which are the closest hotels with good pools and how to get to the beaches mentioned above. Thanks in advance.
You might want to start a new topic related to your search for pools and beaches! :D

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 18, 2009, 10:37 pm

The Mekong has various beaches. They last a few months and dupe the locals into thinking they're cool for a while. They hire in banana boats and offer massages. It would be quaint or cute it it weren't so sad.

Sorry, I'm drunk. Tomorrow it'll be normal.

Yes, everything in Isaan is wonderful. It's all pretty. It's all lovely.

Gulp

redgoglac
udonmap.com

Post by redgoglac » November 19, 2009, 5:07 am

This is a really good site, it's like a talking encyclopaedia of Udon, thanks.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 20, 2009, 3:23 pm

I hope we hear some feedback from the OP,as she should be in the area now.It would be inteesting to hear about the daily activities of both the adults and children ,and how it all worked out! :D :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 20, 2009, 8:07 pm

Udon is holding its annual fair at Tungsrimuang 1-15 Dec. Not an especially exciting place to go, but there are rides, food, music, and a variety of things to buy.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » December 2, 2009, 10:22 pm

Stan, I think she has been so overwhelmed by Udon and is now exhausted both from the wedding and from all the sites and places she has been to here! Maybe we will get a travel report once she is back home. :|

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 3, 2009, 10:02 am

JR wrote:Stan, I think she has been so overwhelmed by Udon and is now exhausted both from the wedding and from all the sites and places she has been to here! Maybe we will get a travel report once she is back home. :|
Sure,no hurry!Good first hand info is always valuable and I appreciate it!Hope she had a great trip! :D

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”