Playing Bridge

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
trekkertony
udonmap.com

Re: Playing Bridge

Post by trekkertony » April 19, 2021, 3:27 am

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back
Not having played Bridge and then read this thread, l decided to watch the attached clip to see what all the who ha is all about. Interesting and whet my appetite for learning the game.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... P_8qC2AE16

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 19, 2021, 3:21 pm

Ok, can everyone call a truce for a while?

Reality is that Age and whatever the attributes are for choosing the expat life, makes for some grouchy, irritable personalities. Conflicts happen. Bridge is a form of warfare that should avoid bloodshed but give some satisfaction to all concerned!

Anyway, for now, no Bridge because the latest coronavirus outbreak has made having a break sensible until it stabilises.

Yes, learning Bridge can take years - and there is no 'one' perfect bidding system, Some hands will work best with one system, some with another. But the basics are quite easy. You just learn a basic system and modify it over time; obviously as you play in pairs you need to play the same system (at least approximately) as your partner.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » April 19, 2021, 3:33 pm

Hi Rick,
Can you shoot me a PM when you start up the Bridge again, l love a good card game with positive repartree.

Thanks

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 19, 2021, 4:09 pm

Will do

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 19, 2021, 8:26 pm

Jim Griffin, Professional bridge player in SF bay area

The best bidding system is solely dependent on your level of experience. "Walk before you run" is a very apt expression.

If you are a beginner, simply learn to play Standard American with as few "bells and whistles" as possible. Learning judgment and how to play your cards will be far more productive than learning a bunch of conventions you will inevitably screw up.

As you progress, adding some helpful upgrades a few at a time will be useful. I would suggest the following:
(1) Learn to play "2/1 Game forcing" and knowing the differences that exist between it and Standard American. This includes utilizing a "Forcing 1NT response to 1 of a major".
(2) Learn Roman Key Card Blackwood (whether you use 1430 or not isn't that critical). The ability to know about the K and Q of trumps is huge.
(3) Play Lebensohl after the opponents interfere over your 1NT openings (or additionally after they open a weak 2 bid).

There are other systems (primarily Strong Club based) that may improve your overall accuracy, but these should not be attempted until you are intimately familiar with all the above.

My parting advice is: Don't embark on a complex bidding system with anyone other than a serious partner you plan to play many times with. You will have way too many accidents in casual partnerships by "loading up on every convention known to mankind" when you fill out a convention card.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 21, 2021, 10:46 am

Do clowns make better bridge partners?
tenor9.gif
tenor9.gif (242.33 KiB) Viewed 8547 times

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 21, 2021, 11:06 am

Tut tut Tamada ...... stop trolling!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 21, 2021, 1:12 pm

rick wrote:
April 21, 2021, 11:06 am
Tut tut Tamada ...... stop trolling!
OK... sorry.

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » April 23, 2021, 8:41 pm

Whistler, you may be interested to know that the deadly serious Acol bidder, fountain of knowledge, has caused me to also resign from the Bridge group. Early this month he unreasonably provoked a dispute by insisting on partnering Rick, when, by previously agrees rotation of partners, it was my turn to do so. I might return if he were to apologise, but I am not holding my breath. Tom

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 23, 2021, 8:53 pm

fantom wrote:
April 23, 2021, 8:41 pm
Whistler, you may be interested to know that the deadly serious Acol bidder, fountain of knowledge, has caused me to also resign from the Bridge group. Early this month he unreasonably provoked a dispute by insisting on partnering Rick, when, by previously agrees rotation of partners, it was my turn to do so. I might return if he were to apologise, but I am not holding my breath. Tom
Oh, so sorry Tom. One of the good guys and a damned good Bridge player too, you taught me a lot. I appreciate your comments very much. As you will have noticed there are quite a few on here who love to back stab, your comments back up my assertions that it is not a happy little group given one insensitive member, the rest were great. You, Rick and Ray are sorely missed.

I know my dumb playing exasperated you sometimes but I admired your patience.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » April 23, 2021, 9:19 pm

BRIDGE WARS
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 8, 2021, 7:43 pm

thewatchman wrote:
April 23, 2021, 9:19 pm
BRIDGE WARS
I suppose so, but more than a bit sad

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » May 12, 2021, 8:02 pm

Can't help wondering, Whistler, whether your perceived insult was a misunderstanding. Is it possible that you were told "You are Dummy" (partner of Declarer), and you received it as "You are A dummy" (ie a clown) ? Tom

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2021, 8:29 pm

fantom wrote:
May 12, 2021, 8:02 pm
Can't help wondering, Whistler, whether your perceived insult was a misunderstanding. Is it possible that you were told "You are Dummy" (partner of Declarer), and you received it as "You are A dummy" (ie a clown) ? Tom
Very plausible theory ...

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 12, 2021, 9:01 pm

Oh My.

So sorry I have to spell things out, but here goes.

The comment was not made during a round. It was made while we broke for a break. There was a discussion about bidding during which the comment was made by Mr ACOL where he was complaining about the bidding in the morning saying he did not know what was going on because this clown did not know how to bid.

'This clown' sounds nothing like 'you are dummy'. There is nothing wrong with either my hearing, nor my recollection.

I would suggest you have a look at the posts on this thread, multiple people have all stated that there is one member of this bridge group who has a habit of offending, and likes it his way only, and that member is not me. Not one single post on this thread has indicated that I caused any problems whatsoever.

DM you want to think it is plausible as you like to backstab, but once again show that knowing nothing is no impediment making comments about something where you are totally ignorant about the subject.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 13, 2021, 8:55 am

Thanks whizzy ... na not back stabbing. just double checking you still cant take a wee joke :lol:

Dont spit yer dummy out . :shock:

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 13, 2021, 9:25 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 13, 2021, 8:55 am
Thanks whizzy ... na not back stabbing. just double checking you still cant take a wee joke :lol:

Dont spit yer dummy out . :shock:

Dm
Russian proverb. 'WHEN PEOPLE TELL JOKE THERE IS SOME JOKE AND SOME TRUTH"

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » July 8, 2021, 4:58 pm

My enduring memory of the Udon Bridge Group - was fun while it lasted

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » August 20, 2021, 11:49 pm

Hoping we can resume activities in October

fantom
udonmap.com