Non Wat Kum.

Central Thailand forum - Bangkok, Pattaya etc.
trubrit
udonmap.com

Non Wat Kum.

Post by trubrit » March 20, 2013, 12:45 pm

This impressive Temple building must be the most beautiful in Thailand .It is located at Amphoe Sri Kew, Korat . It is actually alongside the main A2 Bangkok highway.It was built as an act of merit by the Thai film star Sorapong Charchate.
It is unusual in that although there are numerous Buddha images, there are no monks. So its not actually a Wat, more a museum.It is estimated over a million visitors go there each month to make merit. Mind you it may also be because they have a free restaurant serving delicious ladna every day .The entire complex is dedicated to the memory of Phra Somdit.
Weekend trip 110.jpg
Weekend trip 113.jpg
Weekend trip 120.jpg
Weekend trip 123.jpg
Weekend trip 132.jpg

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Non Wat Kum.

Post by Prenders88 » March 20, 2013, 2:33 pm

Worth a look.
=D>
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Non Wat Kum.

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 20, 2013, 7:01 pm

I have been there twice. Yes, it is a museum but it is also serves as a place to make merit (tam boon). Yes it is a memorial and museum site too. There is also a monument to Yaa Mo. The area has a nice little souvenir shop where one can purchase t-shirts to show off back in Canada.

It is a very impressive site, but there are lots of those in Wats all over Thailand from Wat Phra Kaeo in Bangkok to Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to the That Phanom near Nakhon Phanom, and Wat Yaa Mo in Khorat that are just as impressive and holier to the dedicated Buddhist.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Non Wat Kum.

Post by WhoUrDaddy » March 20, 2013, 7:22 pm

You forgot Wat Yai, short name, Phit. The one in Korat took forever to build, and I think started before I even got here, 2000. Didn't realize it was finished, hmm, free lunch. Will be driving by tomorrow.

Return to “Central Thailand”