Hua Hin Jazz Festival

Central Thailand forum - Bangkok, Pattaya etc.
laphanphon

Hua Hin Jazz Festival

Post by laphanphon » May 30, 2009, 12:52 pm

http://jazzfestivalhuahin.com/

Dates are set and bands are committed. Link above has all pertinent information. It is a fun and relaxing weekend. I attended the 1st three, this being the 8th annual, so I missed a few. Have a opportunity to attend this year so probably will. Disregard the info of 100,000 people attending, that might be the total for the whole town population, certainly not just the attendees to the festival.

It is scaled way back from the 1st three, as they had 4 stages, then 3, and easily 25 bands. Now down to 2 stages, on beach side, one at park near everything. Both comfortable settings, as you see the beach stage pics show people sitting on their mats, so it shouldn’t be standing room only (pattaya music festival style, yuck).

Hua Hin is a decent food town, hotels start about 700 and up, most things are in walking distance, so once there, you can park the car. I do, only use it to go to one mall, if I don’t walk. Also a couple farang market, villa and another if needing something that hasn’t arrived in Udon yet.

If driving straight thru, about 9 hrs, don’t miss the bkk bypass, hwy 9. East/west, one goes to airport/pattaya, other Hua Hin and points south. Need directions, simply ask. Makes for an easy drive, leave Udon around 8, take KK bypass, as heavy construction thru town with road and central construction area in dead center and traffic nightmare. Use bypass in KK. Leaving Udon at 8-9 am will get you thru bkk before rush hour, and leisurely drive. Strongely suggest if going, arrive in Hua Hin on Thursday, as Hua Hin is a usual bkk weekender stop, so w/festival, Friday traffic will suck.

See, told you I’d be peeking back in, I would hate to miss a good food review, and of course wouldn’t be fair not to contribute, though I don’t experiment as much as I used to. And if out and about, though that will be very limited in the future also, as not much left in Thailand I haven’t or want to see. but if out there, will post if i think will interest someone.

These dates coincide with June NM meeting, so I will once again miss that, but will make an effort to be there in July.

Thank you to all the excellent comments I received via email since last post, all are deeply appreciated. Thanks again, and I’ll peek in every now and then, and post if I think something interest anyone. The 1st three festivals were fun. Not world class, but also free. Koh mr saxman is very good, bkk connection was excellent 1st time, mediocre 2nd, then seemed to be getting back on track 3rd time. Couple others should be enjoyable. Maybe see you there.

Saint knows me well, and it will be a rare occasion such as this, that i will be posting again.

best wishes to all and be safe. maybe see you out and about. :love: :love: :roll: 8) :guiness: :guiness:

saint
udonmap.com

Re: Hua Hin Jazz Festival

Post by saint » May 30, 2009, 3:12 pm

nice one L A , sounds good , wish i could get down there myself , but very difficult for us at the moment to get anywhere . enjoy yourself , and dont be a stranger .

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 20, 2009, 11:43 am

The festival was as expected, very relaxing with some very good music, some good music, and a few, well, they are much better than me, so hats off for the efforts, as it takes lots of courage to perform live, especially in foreign country. The basics, then my usual long winded view and opinions of event.

1st night at Beach stage, Infinity was up 1st, very tight rhythm section, with heavy emphasis on bass, possible original member and doing most of the writing or song picks, as most with long heavy bass playing to them. As with all bands, each player got a chance to show their talent, or not, with short solos in the songs played. A mix of Thai and western covers for many bands, with some original material thrown in. Played a very nice set, rhythm was a bit repetitive at times, but broken up nicely by the other players.

Noon was next, a very low key 3 piece band, 1 piece included the singer, wasn’t my cup of tea, but offered me an opportunity for a BK run, with plenty of time to spare.

Koh Mr Saxman didn’t disappoint. Has progressed from doing covers along with original material. the covers, which I actually enjoyed the familiarity of, but played most of his own material, which was very good. Only complaint, a couple ‘guest’ performers w/him, taking away from his own material, and man, can the locals talk to much. As stage time was limited for each performance, thoughts of ‘shut up and play’ seem to abound thru my little noodle, but very nice show by him and his very tight sounding band. Always a highlight and headliner for the jazz festival. Again, individual players getting their turn to do some solo stuff in the middle of songs, very nicely done, as expected.

Popsanova, closed the evening with some very unusual picks of songs for a foreign jazz show. The crowd seemed to like them, as they picked very easy to understand western pop songs, and attempted to put them to jazz music. Didn’t do much for me, then to add to the ‘confusion’, ok, i'm very far from a jazz purist, but, jazz would be a stretch for their style of playing. They sang a few songs in Portuguese, better sounding vocals, as her native language, but English is a stretch for some local to understand, so thought that strange.

A good night, Ree enjoyed it, which was a concern, as not always a fan of my music choices at the house. Though I was surprised at some of the songs she picked for her mp3 player when loading it up from my collection. She has a wide selection of styles on it, so very flexible to her listening choices.

2nd night we stayed closer to hotel, and park stage, not that either were far, again, everything in walking distance, no need for taxi mafia. The one major disappointment, as Ree was looking forward to the 1st band on the line up, Ford & the Band. Besides a nice version of Lennon's Imagine, seemed to play Thai covers, that’s fine, band sounded good, and also had that ‘guest thing’ going with a popular vocalist joining him for a few songs. The disappointment was, he is supposed to be a talented sax player, which he only played for about ½ of one song, which the keyboard player could of easily dubbed in. hmm, why carry the sax all that distance and not play. Hopefully a lung infection and not his usual show, but Ree was a bit let down, as was I. Took a break from music, as next 2 bands we saw, little food and relax time. Took advantage of the Heineken promotion, 6 half liter cans, on ice, in promotion cooler for mere 420 baht.

Next up, well, let’s say if I knew before hand, I wouldn’t go to see them if free tickets were given out, oh wait, it was free. To say the least, once again, not my cup of tea at all. Old, very old, swing, bebop, hip, 30-40’s heavy horn, throw the gal over you shoulder dance style music. Way before my time, or a glimmer in dad's eye. To start, they all had zoot suits on, neglected to check to see if wearing spats. One of the horn players even had the gold chain hanging from belt to lower thigh. The Brass Monkeys, from Philippines, started their set, and kept me thoroughly enjoyed the whole set. What a pleasant surprise. Excellent show, players all, 4-5 piece horn section, stand up bass, just really good tight performance. Vocalist had style to him and excellent play list, some even familiar. A surprising highlight to the weekend. Though I didn't take long before they started dressing down, jackets coming off half of them, even shirt of bass player, down to his undershirt, but he was working it good, and that is no light instrument to be hopping around stage with. Early evening heat was taking it's toll on their clothes, but not their energy, hopping cat daddy.

Since Mr saxman was up next and already saw him, we strolled down to the beach stage to check out the closing act there, Shakatak, UK band, many of you may be familiar with. As they started out, playing a few of the songs of 1st album from way back when, which didn’t inspire me to even a foot stomp. Then announced a new song off new cd, don’t know what the consider new or when released, but sounded exactly the same as the 1st three songs, so we made and early exit.

Next day was relaxing time, even though still having half the beers, so no heavy drinking, but just a chill day. With the exception of Bangkok Connection, playing halfway thru the beach stage line up on Sunday, we didn't make much effort to see any other bands. Bangkok Connection was as good as always, again, that ‘guest singer thing’, for a few songs, then back to there very tight, and relaxed fun playing. In the beginning of the set, did couple Stevie Wonder songs, which were a pleasant surprise, as strange as it was. As it happened, thai time of course, sets running late, we were fortunate enough to catch most of Brass Monkey again, as they played a set before Bkk Cnx. A slightly different set, which was nice, and apparently, they only brought one set of zoot suits, or the cleaners couldn't do a rush job...............or, common sense, a suit in 30 degree weather, just doesn't feel comfortable. This time they looked like a caribbean band all with beach/hawaiian shirts on, a drastic contrast to the previous evenings attire. Looking much more comfortable and sounding just as good.

All in all, a very nice jazz weekend, of music and relaxing.

Long winded part.

Went to the beach stage the 1st night, as I wanted to see Infinity and Koh mr saxman, weather good, just in case it rained next time they performed, and no bands sounded familiar or I couldn’t find any info on them at the park stage (Jazz Royale Stage). All things Thai time, I passed on the opening ceremonies, or so I thought, they ran easily an hour over. Of course everyone’s name had to be mentioned and something giving to them on stage. When walking on beach the day before if found it strange they had plastic chairs set up in sand, which of course I tested and sunk about 10 cm, at least, so not the best idea. Then realized they were for opening ceremony for those who thought they needed special treatment for being so important. It seems as soon as most got their free little box, not sure what in them, ½ of the important people left. After long winded, yes, longer than myself, opening ceremony was over, the fun began, on Thai time as usual. Eventually, all that sat in the ‘I’m important chairs’ left and they were eventually removed, opening up seating, mat laying space for the concert goers. First night at beach was very relaxed, plenty of room to stretch out on your mat and not infringe on anyone’s space.

The usual vendors cruising the crowd, not to annoying, especially if wanting something. Which I never do, always suspect. There was plenty of sponsored vending going on, so beer and food everywhere. Fairly well organized event.

The park stage was little shy of crowd, will follow with some pics of show and crowd. Did not take any pics of Saturday beach area, which was packed, easily 15000 in attendance. Friday and Sunday nights seemed empty in comparison. Though still very far from the new report of 100,000 estimated concert goers expected to converge on the city for the festival.

It will probably be the last jazz festival for me, my 4th, and the same headliners, so don’t see the point unless happen to be in the area. But if you never attended, I would strongly recommend it, as it is a relaxing weekend, with some talented players. Guessing the regulars will always be in attendance (koh mr saxman, infinity, bkk connection), and always a pleasant surprise as there was this year with Brass Monkeys. Plenty of not so talented/experienced bands, so strolling around with a little background music is good also. Crowd well behaved, and with exception of Saturday beach crowd, easy getting around town and the shows, along with short lines at all the vendors, sponsored or walk around locals. We missed quite a few bands, so maybe a few more good surprises we missed, or not, but enjoyed what we did see. They mix up the schedule pretty good, so you can see most bands, as they play both stages on different nights.

Some pics to follow, excuse some of them, as night time and distance from stage, or, i simply suck some times with a camera. As the pics show, friday and sunday beach stage, and every show at park stage was very relaxed an could actually use a few more spectators. saturday beach stage as mentioned, was very crowded, tho me and Ree managed to stroll down to within 50 meters of stage. so not standing wall to wall, most sitting on the beach but not with their mats spread out to max. a couple on exit were nice enough to give is their temporary bought mat for the evening, as we watched the 2 bands on sunday in mat laying down comfort. as we didn't bring our mat, since didn't expect to see 2 bands, so that was nice, and we passed on the favor as we left after bkk conx, and 2 more bands were scheduled to play.
Last edited by laphanphon on June 20, 2009, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 20, 2009, 11:44 am

see if i can almost put these in order and label them properly as we saw them. opening event and the massive crowd, and one little cutie, the bands to follow.

the all important people, at opening ceremony

below, the masses of tourist struggling to find seating on friday and sunday, beach and park stages.

of course the professional photographers, along with myself. think this little cutie was with Rolling Stone Rag.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 20, 2009, 11:44 am

the bands, 1st up

Infinity

Noon

Koh Mr Saxman

this 14 yr old kid was amazing, as he did a song to open the park stage on saturday night, in honor oh HMS individual, in case you don't know, was quite the jazz player in his day, even winning an award and playing with some of the more notable jazz bands of the time.

Horn, the disappointment, one shot of sax playing, only shot.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 20, 2009, 11:45 am

Brass Monkey

the dressed down beach stage version, same band, beach attire/no zoot suits (sh*tty pic, but you get the idea)

Bangkok Connection (sorry, no current, but one from 1st festival, same lead players in band)

Return to “Central Thailand”