Dining in Sukhumvit area

Central Thailand forum - Bangkok, Pattaya etc.
JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Dining in Sukhumvit area

Post by JimboPSM » January 20, 2009, 12:47 am

There are many places to eat on Sukhumvit, but these are a few I use on a regular basis.
  • • Mrs Balbirs – Indian, Sukhumvit Soi 11/1 (near Swiss Park Hotel), not the cheapest of places but I like it.
    http://www.mrsbalbir.com/

• Tony Romas – Ribs, Sukhumvit Road (think it’s between Soi 3 & Soi 7), again not the cheapest of places but I like it.
    http://www.tonyromas-mms.com/en/index.php?q=bangkok

• Londoner – Pub grub (excellent Steak & Kidney Pie) plus their home brewed “bitter”, Sukhumvit Road, basement on corner with Soi 33.
    http://www.the-londoner.com/

• Rosa Bieng – Thai (and sometimes has some cool jazz music), Sukhumvit Soi 11 (near Grand President Hotel).

• Additionally if only want a snack, I get a sandwich at Subway.
Any other recommendations of decent places or places to avoid?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Re: Dining in Sukhumvit area

Post by Prenders88 » January 20, 2009, 12:58 am

I also like the Londoner Jimbo.
Not far from there is a Lao/Issan place called
Baan Lao.
A great night out, with all the entertainment laid on and good food, in a themed setting.
Baan Lao
Sukhumvit 36
Sukhumvit Road - Prakhanong
Bangkok 10110
Thailand
Phone (0) 2258 6096

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2009, 6:30 am

Seems i got the same tastes as you Jimbo...done them all except Balbirs...seen it, been past 100's of times it but have not yet sampled it.

Cabbages and Condoms Suk Soi 12 is worth a visit, not just a restaurant..!

Mogahl Rooms (Near Cheap Charlies soi 11...a great soi for food that)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 20, 2009, 6:17 pm

Rosa Bieng? Jimbo, is that the place with a large garden and screen for football matches? Think we ended up there after I drove into Bangkok by mistake last month. Good Thai food there but NO Leo Beer! Bummer, had to settle for Heineken. Had a band playing jazz out in the garden.

Anybody been to Neil's Tavern for a steak? Been around for a long time so must be doing something right.

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » January 20, 2009, 6:29 pm

My best friend owns chequers english pub in soi 4 (Nana) just past the plaza.. he does the very best english breakfast and all roast dinners etc bangers and mash, you name it, also good thai food, pool table upstairs. 2 big screens and does all the popular sports even a lock in if they are on late...his name is nick if you ever go there say hello from me..

Dave

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » January 20, 2009, 6:47 pm

polehawk wrote:Rosa Bieng? Jimbo, is that the place with a large garden and screen for football matches? Think we ended up there after I drove into Bangkok by mistake last month. Good Thai food there but NO Leo Beer! Bummer, had to settle for Heineken. Had a band playing jazz out in the garden.......
PH, sounds like the same place, Rosa Bieng has a garden area in front of the restaurant for al fresco dining with a small stage area for the musicians and there is a projection screen for the football - the bar in the garden looks like a small train carriage.

A notable feature inside the restaurant is a working model train set in a glass display case.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2009, 8:19 pm

Yes and 'Rosabieng' is Thai for a Train Carriage that serves food the Mrs informed me when we was there last... ...a good place, Soi 11 is a must for a visit for resturants.

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » January 20, 2009, 8:39 pm

Baan Khanitha (Suk Soi 23) - Best Thai

Dubliner (Opposite entrance to Suk Soi 33) - Best Pub Food

Beruit (Basement of Ploenchit Tower) - Best Food of All! (Lebanese)

Kashmir (Near gas station on Suk between Soi 23 & Asoke) - Best Indian

La Gritta (Suk Soi 19) - Best Italian unless you're loaded

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 20, 2009, 9:06 pm

Gulliver's (Soi 5) - a favorite of mine with the rotating '57 Chevy hanging from the ceiling, great hamburgers and Beer Lao. Found a smaller scale version of this bar/restaurant in Pattaya on north end of Beach Road.

Baan Khanitha.....ah, yeah! We've eaten there a few times and the Thai food was always delicious. Easy to see why they win that award nearly every year. Baan Lao also sounds like our kind of place.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2009, 9:21 pm

Yes Agree La Gritta is good for a lunch time nosh.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 20, 2009, 9:25 pm

Where is Baan Khanitha Polehawk.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2009, 10:35 pm

banpaeng wrote:Where is Baan Khanitha Polehawk.
Their website...never been but gets excellent write ups, Suk Soi 23...same side of suk as Soi Cowboy,

http://www.baan-khanitha.com/

I also Like the real old place corner of 13 or is it 15 next to what was the old Mercedes Garage (Manhattan Hotel), always packed and been around 300 years i think...cheap and good...but very basic and old .

Also Suda .Suk Soi 14. informal place.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 21, 2009, 2:13 am

I am not sure of the market but it is on Soi 5. It has a diner counter and for the price some of the items are good. Not gourmet dining at all but quick and cheap.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » January 21, 2009, 3:22 am

banpaeng wrote:I am not sure of the market but it is on Soi 5. It has a diner counter and for the price some of the items are good. Not gourmet dining at all but quick and cheap.
I know the place you mean, it's in the Foodland Supermarket, opposite the Amari Boulevard Hotel.
Me and the Mrs always stay in the Royal Benja Hotel and the end of Soi 5, because it's convenient for the Skytrain and MTR.
The excellent buffet breakfast sets you up for the day. Gulliver's Bar is there as well for Beer Lao and burgers.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 21, 2009, 5:29 am

Yes Foodland store...that is one popular place starting quite early in the day, any time i have been in the 'super' the food bar in rammed.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 21, 2009, 8:12 am

For several years my favorite resturant was New Srifa located at Sukhumvit, Soi 27. It was fairly small and run by a Thai-Chinese family. Lots of late-night traffic there as it was easy walking distance to Soi Cowboy. The menu was pretty extensive and the food was quite tasty and at a very reasonable cost.

Two or three years ago they moved the restaurant (I think to soi 33), and I have not been able to find it since. I have walked soi 33 looking for it, but no luck. Does anyone remember this place or know where to find it since it has relocated?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 21, 2009, 9:17 am

it's been a while, but the Federal Hotel Coffee shop on suk soi 11 was rather good for thai fair, and reasonably priced. villa market on that street also. skytrain stop (nana) there, walk up street, it's on the left 100 plus meters, pass villa on other side, 7-11, suk 11 guesthouse, then up a bit further. Loft food court on 7th floor of Chidlom Central department store is very nice also (chidlom skytrain stop, exit 5). wide international selection and comfortable seating. very nice caesar salad and decent pizza at italian station, decent pasta on the high end price, but tasty. a mandatory stop for myself, decent desert station, but again, high end. brownies and cheesecake are nice

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 21, 2009, 4:44 pm

Shado wrote:For several years my favorite resturant was New Srifa located at Sukhumvit, Soi 27. It was fairly small and run by a Thai-Chinese family. Lots of late-night traffic there as it was easy walking distance to Soi Cowboy. The menu was pretty extensive and the food was quite tasty and at a very reasonable cost.

Two or three years ago they moved the restaurant (I think to soi 33), and I have not been able to find it since. I have walked soi 33 looking for it, but no luck. Does anyone remember this place or know where to find it since it has relocated?

Ahhh yes the Sri Fah (Old location) every other night in there years back,(When lived Soi 22)sometimes in the small hours 2-3 am for a feast, didn't bother with the AC room , either on the pavemant or through to the rear....excellent place must be around 15 years since i was last there, thanks for the memory shado.

And The Fed Coffe shop along with its sister Hotel The Honey soi 19 are great value....never saw a price change in that place for many years.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 27, 2009, 10:32 am

to add, plenty of food courts, Siam Paragon has excellent one, mid to high end price and quality, along with Emporium's. the Central chitlom also has one downstairs (1st), besides the one on 7th floor.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 27, 2009, 10:46 am

Had a meal in The Fed.CS About 6 weeks ago,Still very tasty & Good value,Price still OK for Bangers !!

Return to “Central Thailand”