anyone been down to Phuket recently?

Southern Thailand and the islands
ady
udonmap.com

anyone been down to Phuket recently?

Post by ady » November 6, 2007, 9:09 pm

Has anyone been down to Phuket recently?

I plan to visit there for a few days over this coming xmas, but am now having a few doubts.

These doubts have come about the increasing reports of violent robberies, machete attacks, and general lawlessness of the place. Notwithstanding the general ineptness and attitude of the keystone kop

what happens next?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 6, 2007, 10:29 pm

Ady, there's a been a spate of incidents in one particular area, Rawai, down in the very south of the island. Otherwise no problems, in Patong, if that's where you're heading.

ady
udonmap.com

Post by ady » November 6, 2007, 11:15 pm

arjay wrote:Ady, there's a been a spate of incidents in one particular area, Rawai, down in the very south of the island. Otherwise no problems, in Patong, if that's where you're heading.
Aye, cheers for the up on that. I thought I
what happens next?

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » November 7, 2007, 12:34 am

Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Cholera ‘under control’ in Phuket

PHUKET: With 110 cases of cholera reported in Phuket so far this year, the possibility of an outbreak of the disease has raised fears of the threat posed to tourism. Authorities say that the situation is “under control” and that the high season will not be affected.

Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit and Dr Wanchai Sattayawuthipong of the Phuket Provincial Health Office held a conference call yesterday with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and Dr Prachit Prarachit, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Public Health, to discuss the cholera situation in Phuket.

Dr Prachit said that between January 1 and October 31, there were 600 cases of cholera spread across 36 provinces. All provinces have been put on alert to help control the severe diarrheal disease, which is caused by ingesting contaminated food or water.

Dr Prachit said, “Khon Kaen [221 cases] and Phuket are the areas with the most reported instances of cholera, although the disease is now under control. The Ministry of Public Health has worked in each of the provinces to raise awareness of the disease by asking people to avoid eating raw food and meat for now.”

The last recorded case of cholera in Phuket was November 1. In Khon Kaen, a patient suffering from cholera was hospitalized October 17, although there have been no cases since, added Dr Prachit.

“We will stay vigilant to avoid an outbreak of cholera so that the disease will not have an effect on the high season,” said Dr Prachit.

Dr Wanchai said, “The Phuket Provincial Office and Phuket Public Health Office have been concerned about cholera and how the disease might affect tourism, but the situation is under control.

“Phuket implements strong measures regarding the cleanliness of restaurants and associated businesses. There have been no cases of tourists contracting the disease.”

Send Letter to Gazette Editor
dont forget your tabs or jabs

Loaded
udonmap.com

Re: anyone been down to Phuket recently?

Post by Loaded » November 7, 2007, 4:04 am

ady wrote:Has anyone been down to Phuket recently?
Yes, had a 2 night

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 7, 2007, 5:58 am

Boring and greedy add Machete wielding yobs and a cholera outbreak coupled with dancing katoeys don't think i will be going back for a while. :lol:
Anyone been to Leam Sing beach recently, same as it was 13 years ago ?...doubt it !!, anyone ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 7, 2007, 10:49 am

That's the first I had heard of Cholera in Phuket. Like anywhere I guess you get relatively isolated incidents of such things.

Yes BM, been to Laem Singh recently, same as before, - 20 baht to park at top, steep walk down, upon arrival they pounce on you to sit on one of their beach chairs or eat in their expensive restaurants. Fried rice can top the 100 baht there! Sandwiches 150+ baht. You can't just stroll along that small beach without being continually molested!! Otherwise very scenic.

Patong always has been money orientated and it gets worse every year, along with the ever present scourge of street side tuk tuks, tailors and massage girls + katoeys.

Bars don't seem to bother with menus anymore. You're expected to know what you want and be prepared to pay (whatever) the price. Lady drinks (not that I buy any) normally 150-160 can often now top 200 is some places, - under Tiger.

I live in more sleepy Kamala and even there the beach chairs have jumped from 50 baht to 100 baht this year.

Phuket is a tourist resort for sure.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 7, 2007, 11:25 am

just returned from kata/karon beaches, always a pleasant visit. nice mix of everything. when at phuket, don't go out of this area except for an occasional drive around rawai and cape area to see if any changes and nice afternoon out for a little scenic drive. i stay away from patong, nothing interest me there. i'm good for 2 visits a year to phuket from one to two weeks, then ready to move on. i could stay there for couple months, but the rest of the family has a very low attention span :shock: 8)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 7, 2007, 3:20 pm

Arjay wrote:Yes BM, been to Laem Singh recently, same as before, - 20 baht to park at top, steep walk down, upon arrival they pounce on you to sit on one of their beach chairs or eat in their expensive restaurants. Fried rice can top the 100 baht there! Sandwiches 150+ baht. You can't just stroll along that small beach without being continually molested!! Otherwise very scenic.
sounds same same..apart from expenchip resturants...and no major hassles/molestation though.parking was 10baht :( :lol:
loved riding the route there from Patong. :D

Artfullmover
udonmap.com

Post by Artfullmover » November 7, 2007, 5:41 pm

One thing Ive learnt about Phuket Island is there can lot af violence there from time to time some of it quite bad. A lot of instances you dont even hear about.. even from the " now it all " Expats based in Patong and surrounding areas.

One thing though ... regardless of how much people put down the "Tuk Tuk" drivers were ever they are or congregate it seems to be a safety zone. A great sort of nieghbour hood watch.... or just the " Mafia " looking after there interests ... the outcome is all the same .... a safe zone.

Anywhere in the world.. were there's an easy dollar to be made throught lawfull or unlawfall practices all sorts of people will gather there... its all about who controls what.... Long live the Tuk Tuk drivers of phuket .. even being arse oles that they are.

Kev
udonmap.com

Post by Kev » November 8, 2007, 7:41 am

Spent 6 days in Patong last month with the mrs. It was my first and last visit. Really not much there to see IMHO, more like a small Pattaya to me. So why go to Patong when you can have the real thing by going to Pattaya. Yep the beach is still there and so are the jet skis at 1,000 per half hour.

Btw did go and see the Fantasea show, which was Ok and the huge restuarant before the show is a must to see.

Kev

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » November 8, 2007, 2:24 pm

Its a shame about whats happening in Rawai,because it used to be an uneventfull fishing village.There are some wealthy people there.Because its not heavily populated and well lighted at night,its become a place where predatory thugs feel they can get away with armed robbery.Whats needed is some good old fashioned western justice.If you want a nice beach,Ban Kamala is less than 10km away,but there is no nightlife.That was the beauty of Rawai,a few beer bars to satisfy your hunger,but no starbucks and Macdonalds like Patong.In other words a nice quiet place with a few beer bars,if you needed to satisfy your primoral needs.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 8, 2007, 4:50 pm

To update you on the stories in question, these are some recent editions of the Phuket Gazette, which covered the topic. To view further news from subsequent pages, just scroll down after opening.:-

http://www.phuketgazette.com/digitalgaz ... 259&Cat=34

This one for the main index of previous editions:-

http://www.phuketgazette.com/digitalgaz ... 1025173535

Return to “Southern Thailand”