Trang Trip

Southern Thailand and the islands
parrot
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by parrot » September 25, 2013, 7:53 pm

We're planning a trip to Trang in middish December when our daughter visits. Thinking of flying Udon-Phuket, renting a car from there and driving to Trang....maybe pitstop for a night along the way.
If anyone has recent experience with that that area.....restaurants, islands, to-dos, I'm all ears. Thanks

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by Mudshark » September 25, 2013, 9:45 pm

Might be a little outside what you had in mind but I had a great trip to Koh Lipe (near Satun) last year. I'm a diver, that was my purpose but if you are looking to get away from overdeveloped Phi Phi, Koh Lanta etc, etc, it's at a sweet spot right now for just the right amount of development. It's an hour or so ferry trip to the island; not inconvenient at all.

I prefer the Sunrise Beach side of the island to the more developed Pattaya Beach side. I stayed at Adang Eco-Divers whose rooms didn't have A/C, but I was diving so I didn't care. However, for the a non-diver Castaway Resort on Sunrise Beach looked good and can be viewed on Agoda.com. Great white sand beach, no cars on the island, you can walk almost anywhere you need to go in about 10 minutes, surrounded by undeveloped islands in the surrounding national park:

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/koh_ ... d&tyra=1|6

mak
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by mak » September 26, 2013, 8:38 am

Fly to Trang. From their make trips to Koh Mook, Koh Kradan and other islands.
Sivalai Beach Resort.

parrot
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by parrot » September 27, 2013, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info.

fantom
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by fantom » September 27, 2013, 10:33 pm

If you drive from Phuket, suggest you visit (and maybe overnight) at Than Bok Khorani. Turn right off Highway4 at Ao Luk, then the park is a few kms on the left, and if you go past that entrance and take the next lane on the left you will find a small bungalow-style resort which has separate access to the park. Maybe1 and half hours from Phuket Airport. Fancy a small boat trip under a small mountain? try Tham Le Khao Kob, off Highway4 on the right about 35km before Trang. I would post some pics if I knew how, but lots available on the net.

parrot
udonmap.com

Trang Trip

Post by parrot » December 16, 2013, 11:36 am

Back from 3 days in Bangkok and 5 days down south....Trang/Krapi. First, hats off to Mak for his recommendation to stay at the Suvalai Resort on Koh Muk. A wonderful place.....on the tip of a small peninsula, beaches both sides, peaceful, no autos/trucks, very clean, lots of Scandinavians...some with kids, but none a problem. Backpackers stay in cheaper resorts around the island. Resort picked us up at the airport, van to the port, speedboat to the resort. Longtail boat trips to visit sights around the island.....caves, snorkel, hike, eat eat eat. Top notch food every day. You can buy a bottle of whatever on the island for a few baht more than the mainland....same with day to day needs.
The waters were beautiful.....calm, clear, and loads of fish. Amazing cliffs all around.

Rented a one-way from Budget to drive from Trang to Phuket. They upgraded an Altis reservation to a new Camry (also gave me an upgrade a few years ago in Chiangmai). Spent a night in the middle of Krabi......wife and daughter liked that as well. Lots of good food and plenty of touristy type shopping. Got to Phuket airport with an hour to spare.....time for one last vacation meal in the Thai Air restaurant.....very good.

In downtown Trang, the place to eat is "Richy" (owned by Sateera Poopichapong). Delicious food and the famous Trang cakes along with good coffee and a wide variety of baked goods.

Took Air Asia from Bangkok to Trang and Phuket back to Udon. Upgraded seats (1A,1B,1C) both coming and going. Upgraded baggage weight so we had no problems with daughter's massive suitcase or goods we bought in Bangkok. Ordered a nice Air Asia blanket and eye block for the wife. Final ticket prices with upgrades still very reasonable.

All in all a great vacation.....everything went smooth as silk.

Return to “Southern Thailand”