Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 14

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » December 1, 2006, 4:15 am

[quote="rickfarang"]Generally, I dispise the death penalty being imposed by a court...quote]

I have to agree with rickfarang. I suppose I have to go a bit further and say that I have moral and spiritual qualms about the death penalty. I certainly could never, and would never, serve on a jury on a death penalty case (of course, that would be the question that eliminated me from jury eligibility).

I've talked long and hard about this with my Dad, who is a lay deacon. His position (and he admits he has struggled with it) is that no human has the right to take the life of another as long as there is a chance of redemption. That is a very religious position, and not in line with many of the rest of his denomination's positions.

However, I do think there are some who could be so incorrible that they should be placed in exile on an island (or someday on another planet) with no hope of escape.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » December 1, 2006, 10:39 am

I to agree Shara. To take one case and read only news reports and opinions is not a way to say one is for or against the death penalty. I don't know if I would sit on a jury for a death penalty or not. When they ask me if I could give it, my reply will be along the lines of I can not give the death penalty unless I feel like I could give the injection, throw the switch, etc. Beings as how I believe we should respect all for being human, it would take a dastardly deed of some sort for me to want to or care to do it. My only concern is I would have to make sure I am not doing it for revenge. IMHO that is wrong. The person would have to be a detriment to society.

That is my opinion only.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 1, 2006, 2:59 pm

banpaeng wrote:I to agree Shara. To take one case and read only news reports and opinions is not a way to say one is for or against the death penalty. I don't know if I would sit on a jury for a death penalty or not. When they ask me if I could give it, my reply will be along the lines of I can not give the death penalty unless I feel like I could give the injection, throw the switch, etc. Beings as how I believe we should respect all for being human, it would take a dastardly deed of some sort for me to want to or care to do it. My only concern is I would have to make sure I am not doing it for revenge. IMHO that is wrong. The person would have to be a detriment to society.

That is my opinion only.
Apology accepted but none necessary.

Yes, I was there at the trial but had to wait for the court transcript (translation into English, judges comments 24 hours, whole transcript 72 hours) to be sure of the circumstances and evidence presented.

I would like to know though, "what dastardly deed of some sort...", would sway your opinion to execute a person. PM me, if feel it is not for public consumption.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » December 1, 2006, 3:57 pm

I don't know the answer to that one. As stated, once I had heard all the evidence, I would have to answer tthree question to myself.

1. Would I kill this person our of revenge?

2. Is this person a threat to civilization? Yes I have to think this person will be out on the streets one day due to parole or such.

3. The main question. Could I carry out this excution myself?

Like I said, if I could answer these three question with 1. being no and 2 and 3 with yes, then I could do it.

I guess that is why I ask my first question about the axe to grind. The question is quite frankely slanted. Think a few others thought so to. As anyone that says anything to the contrary, you seem to be overboard on setting them straight.

YOu have your opinion and I respect that. I can tell you feel real strong about it and that is a good thing to be. On something like this you have to leave it alone somewhere or it can consume you.

An old man told me once, "Worry about the things you can change and leave the rest alone or you will die of ulcers." So far I do not have ulcers.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 1, 2006, 4:42 pm

Interesting reply...

I believe this to be an interesting topic and hence started the thread, I still believe it to be and one that will unfortunately rear it's head again and again in the months and years to come, perhaps my writing style is not to your liking but that is the least of our problems metaphorically speaking.

Fear not that I will consumed by ulcers or other worrisome aberrations, you'll be glad to know I hope, that I'm a way to relaxed individual for that to happen.

You were quite right to assume that some of my posts were slanted and as stated it is clearly a subject that is difficult to balance and you can read that yourself in your own comments, that is what makes the thread interesting because it creates dilemma and hopefully pause for reflection, and if that is the case it has served it's purpose. :)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » December 1, 2006, 7:08 pm

Damn are you saying we did something good. Will be a first for Moderators as we are the ones causing all the problems in the world. :shock: :D :D :D

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 4, 2006, 12:45 pm

banpaeng wrote:Damn are you saying we did something good. Will be a first for Moderators as we are the ones causing all the problems in the world. :shock: :D :D :D
No, I'm not saying you/we did something good (after all you are a moderator :wink: ), nice try but no banana.

Moderators alas bring their own bias or point of view, or modus operandi particular to any forum or debate; just like the posters being moderated, it would be very hard for both groups not to do so unless modus vivendi was not in operation although some may not see it this way. :lol:

Clearly writing in a dispassionate way about such a n emotive subject would be a redundant exercise. :roll:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » December 4, 2006, 2:53 pm

Not sure what all that means but you said it. Don't see where you have been moderated. I stated my opinion. As long as you don't attack someone or be vulgar, basically go for it. One thing I do not understand is why everyone thinks if you are a moderator you have no opinion. If someone else would like the job send Lee a PM and ask him to drop me. If you take that salary away, I will miss it sorely but will survive. :lol: Lets see now:

Using the Jethro style of accounting (hope some know what I am refering to) naught times naught is double naught. :D :D

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » December 4, 2006, 2:57 pm

banpaeng wrote:If someone else would like the job send Lee a PM and ask him to drop me. If you take that salary away, I will miss it sorely but will survive. :lol: Lets see now:

Using the Jethro style of accounting (hope some know what I am refering to) naught times naught is double naught. :D :D
Now I'm feeling guilty for letting you buy me a hamburger and soda the other day...
Ain't Easy Being Me

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » December 4, 2006, 3:01 pm

Hey I'll let you buy next time. Will make me feel better anyway. :D

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 4, 2006, 3:13 pm

I am not saying I have been directly moderated but what does an 'axe to grind', a 'slanted view', 'don't want to be argumentative' mean if not moderation, this selection of different pieces of your posts must be your own personal opinion, right?

Unfortunately, posters may confuse the two - moderator and opinion writer, how are we posters meant to ascertain if a mod is in mod or IMO mode?

Anyway, it seems we have strayed off topic - 'poster self moderation' whatever next.

But don't give up your day job as Jethro might not find a cheaper worker.

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Execution or Life Imprisonment

Post by dtammakhung » October 23, 2014, 9:11 pm

TIT 5555555555555555

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 23, 2014, 9:24 pm

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » October 23, 2014, 9:24 pm

dtammakhung wrote:TIT 5555555555555555
You are one sad man . :roll:

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » October 23, 2014, 11:46 pm

dtammakhung wrote:TIT 5555555555555555
what kind of stuff do you smoke?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 24, 2014, 8:14 am

To execute or not is always and has always been a very emotive subject, the pros and cons of the argument have gone on for decades and will continue to do so.
Some particular grisly and needless murders should automatically incur the death penalty as life imprisonment is not what we think, it is not life but a considerable time often as short as 15 years, NOW that in my book is not justice for the victims family but just a way of saying well we did it so he /she can have their rights. So the counter-argument then goes but what about the rights of the victim, the chance to grow up, have children and contribute to society as a whole they have been snuffed out by an act.
Then we have the accidents the mistakes should those incur the death penalty, I think not if it is proven it was a mistake or an accident.
However stabbing/shooting or just fighting them to cause a death or any other pre-meditated way is not an accident but murder and as the Good Book says and eye for an eye, and that I believe should be the case.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 24, 2014, 8:20 am

Perhaps KP the cheapest way of the UK getting rid of convicted murderers would be to push them out of a plane with a parachute over the Islamic State with their British passports? Let's really head back to the dark ages in style. [-X
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 24, 2014, 8:29 am

There was although many years ago that an island far north off the scottish coastline which was used for anthrax testing and is still polluted today, could be used as p[rison for lifers. Clean a square mile and dump them their with building materials etc. feed them by resupply once a month problem solved. Nothing is cut and dried these days of of the 21st century, oft times we hear of those convicted of murder after realesae do it again, the sheer cost of keeping them alive JUST to dsatisfy the do-goodes etc is astronomical, easier just to shoot them cost about One poind for the bullets. `

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Cryogenics, get the best of both worlds.
Snap freeze for 25 years and then thaw them out, if they wake up all well and good. Off you go son. Sentence served. Win Win \:D/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 24, 2014, 8:44 am

Streuth Barney if it was safe I wouldn't mind being frozen each NZ winter. The unemployed might want to be frozen during recessions.

20 or 30 years ago my impression from the media of many murderers in NZ was that they were decent people who made a bad mistake. They'd get sentenced to life imprisonment and in those days be parolled after 10 or 12 years. They'd be released and then never cause any trouble again. It would be front page of the newspaper if they did and that was almost never.

It's a bit different now. Many more nowadays are evil bastards that are too dangerous to release until they're old and frail. However the great bulk of them will be fine to release. However I would say I'd be hesitant to employ one of these gentlemen.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Southern Thailand”