Hua Hin to Phuket, recon

Southern Thailand and the islands
laphanphon

Hua Hin to Phuket, recon

Post by laphanphon » April 10, 2009, 7:52 pm

APRIL 2009 , out and about recon of non familiar spots, in between my familiar spots.

Just a one nighter in Hua Hin, my usual spot, as mentioned before somewhere, sometimes are full of themselves and price themselves out of my baht, so stayed at Cha Ba chalet, comfy, close to everything, brekkie inc. 700, over due price increase from at least 3 years at 600. My usual wanted, 850, then 1000 if staying fri/weekend, no thanks, no brekkie, but pool. Usual rate is 700 ish, think cheaper, but I’ll err on the high side.

Ok, recon time, plan was, emphasis on was, a few nights in Pranburi, few at a different place in Prachuap Khiri Khan (PKK), then a few nights in Ban Kruit, all close enough to each other. Slow cruise, and really investigate the places I’ve never took the time to. Well..............it turned out to be a long day, saw all of them, and decided screw it, head south then re-plan at Chumphon.

Actually, the places weren’t that bad, if you actually live in the area, and want to kill the day at the beach, sip a couple w/friends and enjoy a nice meal. Pranburi is a working fishing village, with a not very impressive beachfront, across a beach rd, with numerous resorts done or in the process of overbuilding the area. One was very nice, I’ll post a couple pics, from the car, and I’m sure their website gives a different view from pool to beach. Too funny. This place was rather full, guessing with many frustrated customers. Added note, not near this resort, but a working fishing village, with many spots thru out the town, with rows and rows of fish/squid drying in the sun, and yes, one of my favorite scents also, no thanks.

Next was PKK, a place I’m familiar with, Hathong hotel, decent, though need of minor touch up, restaurant, not up to past par, and prices rising more than practical, so figured I’d try new place I spotted on net. Ree calls, they ask how many people, ????, ok, we want 700 baht room, no have, just 900. Never mind, past town, to familiar to really stop but wanted to relax, it is a beautiful bay, non swimmer’s beach, and hotel looked nice. Out of curiosity, called back on my phone, ask for room, one person. Yes have plenty. Sorry, won’t be using you in the future. The rooms are the same, 700 1st floor, can’t see over wall to bay, 900 2nd floor w/view of bay.

Next was Ban Kruit, this a slow drive down the beach roads when available, as I wanted to take our time and check things out pretty good, with couple stops. This included a drive thru the national park, one of the nicer ones, from what I here, no fee if driving thru, but guessing if stopping at beach, check for fee receipts and either evict or collect. Had no desire to check out there special landscaped beach with vendors, as that is what I’ve been doing all day. Ban Kruit was again, more of the same, not the best beach, bungalow operations on opposite road of beach rd, so now special views, not that any to be had, as some construction and vendors really didn’t make any of the beaches more than a day out if living here. Definitely not worthy a flight to BKK, 3-6 hr bus ride for frustrating vacation, held captive by resort and their offerings.

I was quite surprised and frustrated, as I planned on a short week to kill time before heading to Phuket or other destinations.

The resort I planned on staying at we saw, didn’t bother pulling in, and this on hour outing has turned into about 4 plus, and I was ready for a soft bed. I’ve been to Ban Saphan, long before it got developed, did nothing for me then, and less now. There are 2, yai/noi, next to each other. Ban Kruit is just on top of the first. So a beeline to hwy 4, and off to a 1st roadside resort that looks comfy. Oh sh*t. Chumphon, less than 120 kms, give or take, I think, damn, familiar territory. Ring the Paradorn hotel, emergency stand by when Thung Wua Laem is too busy, which has fallen out of favor with us past couple visits, got discovered and favorite restaurants, again, falling way off par. Sad.

Ok, so less than an hour drive from Hua Hin, for a little recon, turned into a 7 hour ordeal, very informative and frustrating, but still, almost enjoyable, a very nice ride. In defense of the the whole area, the weather was not up to par, so the beaches were white capped, though i didn’t notice any high winds. Still a decent long day out, though my back had a different opinion.

So it would seem, i really haven’t missed much on those side streets with beach signs that away. Familiarity makes HH a pit stop for me when heading south, though shorter than in the past. PKK is a very picturesque bay, and if getting a good rate at Hathong, or Sun beach hotel being a little friendlier, though Hathong hotel has the best view, about 4th floor and up of the boats going and returning after an night of fishing. Just below PKK is Ao Manao, a popular military beach resort, and when they are not there, a nice place to stay also, with decent beach.

Thung wau laem (chumphom 15 kms n.), old favorite, may stop again, but not for long. The beach is one of the nicer on the gulf side, but is prone to jellies or lice on occasion. When co-operating, one of the nicer Thai beaches I’ve been to and hung out for a week at a time. Has bungalow operations, 500 and up, with cabana dive resort at end of southern beach, with all things falang, and quite hidden from view. Couple restaurants, with more coming every season.

So that’s my story, a week planned, and now, well, headed out of Chumphon, since not getting a firm answer when and how long Ree could visit with friend for Nakhon Si Thammarat. Which isn’t exactly on the way to Phuket, plus, due to that one day week, we were way ahead of schedule, as planned to spend part of songkran with her. Oh well, next year.

So since my back just loves long drives, did one of my favorites, Chumphon to Khao Lak, again, more than i wanted, but the ride and road, much improved though decent before made for a much faster trip. Even though spots of rain and a bit a traffic, plus leaving late. But made it to Khao Lak, just before nightfall.
This drive compares with the best, it is such a lush area, the wettest in Thailand, a beautiful drive, up there with phuket/phangna/krabi, and the lower drive out of MHS, just beautiful, unique countryside. Really not to be missed.

So in Khao Lak now, 2nd night, not really my thing..............meaning, way out of my budget. Actually not bad unless staying beach front. Khao Lak is one of the more beautiful beaches I’ve been to, just a nice day today at the beach. But restaurant options aren’t up to par, and for the price, i can be 5 min walk to everything/food/beach in Kata, so off tomorrow early, for at least 5 nights at Sereene Resort, nice price w/brekkie from latestays.com. A bit of a surprise for songkran week. So they are hurting again this year. Trying to verify a after songkran special they may run, a slight discrefency on website, sawadee, about date, but if a typo, which i think it is, i will repost and fill you all in. Hard to beat, and still few weeks till school.

Sorry it wasn’t a more positive report for the gulf ride down. Was hoping for a positive change myself. TIT.

Going to try to leave before 9 am tomorrow, beat the drunks waking up so not too many in the streets if deciding to start songkran early, hoping not, should be couple hours ride to Kata beach. Will report in a few days from now, let you know how things are, crowded or not, surf up to par and hopefully good weather.

laphanphon

Re: Hua Hin to Phuket, recon

Post by laphanphon » April 10, 2009, 7:52 pm

actually pics from our car, which you can see some of the window frame, there closeness to the road and traffic, not a good road at that, rather dusty, next pic, rd actually passes between their chair set ups, too strange. and the lovely rocks they get to climb over if actually wanting to stroll on beach, which wasn't the finest sand, and as mentioned, not a good beach day, vis looked bad, the whole stretch, though i've stayed for a week near chumphon with perfect water, so maybe just bad timing for them.

this last one i'm not sure about, but sequencial numbers close enough, should be same beach.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 10, 2009, 8:05 pm

please disregard info about discounted stay at sereen resort after songkran, their website was accurate, and showing 2010 dates, :yikes: , little planning in advance, though if nothing changes, a great deal.....................next year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » April 11, 2009, 7:34 am

Thanks for the info LA,
keep on posting.
I for sure will check out some of your places when I will make a trip with the family to Hua hin and Chaam next month.... :D :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 11, 2009, 4:04 pm

if in the area, sure many worth checking out on a better day than we were having. was expecting much more and put a crimp in my game plan, so a little more negative than maybe deserved. but not a special trip location, but as you'll in and about, worthy of side trips w/overnighter if enjoying yourself.

pranburi beach area, main town is on hwy 4, but small beach town, as said, working fishing village, then southern part of beach area is starting developement for tourist.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 11, 2009, 4:19 pm

Prachuap Khiri Khan, littel one during sunrise, bay pics and also before bay front walkway done.

after walk way done, took forever, but nicely done

Ao Manao military beach

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 11, 2009, 4:24 pm

how Mods, how come we can't edit our own post, after we reply to them. easier for me and to view if added seperately, but an oops every now and then, and can't get back...............yea, i know, proof read and preview. but used to be able to edit own post anytime, within reason. oh well.

the other one of pranbure, instead of dupe of boats, lol. for sipping and munching pleasure.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 11, 2009, 4:35 pm

LA, I've had a go at reducing the over-exposure of the face of "the little one".
95787556.jpg
95787556.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 8081 times

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 11, 2009, 6:34 pm

thanks, she was about a meter in front on the balcony. should of had ree work her magic. nice to see her face though. lol.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 16, 2009, 7:46 pm

Oh sh*t. Chumphon, less than 120 kms, give or take, I think, damn, familiar territory. Ring the Paradorn hotel, emergency stand by when Thung Wua Laem is too busy, which has fallen out of favor with us past couple visits, got discovered and favorite restaurants, again, falling way off par. Sad.
oh sh*t, a warning, just stopped at Thung wua laem, a past favorite............stay clear of this sewer, somehow in a mere 2 years it has been ruined. i drove there for place to chash tonight, turned around and left. was looking forward to my morining coffee as the sun rose, a favorite of mine there. now the view is the same as any trash transfer stataion that buys plastic for resale, w/a nice sunrise................simply amazing. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Joshuatom

Hua Hin to Phuket recon

Post by Joshuatom » July 15, 2016, 6:33 am

When news reports identified the tourists as Japanese, Komsak took to Twitter to apologize for his assumption they were Chinese.

“I would like to apologize to China for accusing your tourists of stripping on Hua Hin Beach Saturday,” he wrote.

Return to “Southern Thailand”