Surfing?

Southern Thailand and the islands
Stu
udonmap.com

Surfing?

Post by Stu » March 2, 2006, 1:18 am

Hello all. Thanks for the good forum. Some very useful information here. I'm going to Thailand in May. Use to surf a little in my younger days and would like to give it another go after many years. Was wondering if you guys or ladies might know of any beaches where surfboards are rented -- other than Pattaya or Phuket (don't care much for those places, really). Looking for something a bit lower keyed with waves suitable for a beginner. Any help would be much appreciated. Have a good day.

Stu

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » March 2, 2006, 2:26 am

Welcome Stuart,

Hmmmm Thailand is not really surfing country; it's almost on the Equator so minimal moon/tide influence.

So no big waves on a beach here.... No Tsunami/Earthquake jokes I hope......

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » March 2, 2006, 2:58 am

crap surfing in thialand mate ,best get yaself down to nias island ,fly from penang(malaysia) to medan (sumatra),then fly from medan to nias ,nothing better in this part of the world mate, nias island :wink:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 2, 2006, 3:11 am

it was possible to do a bit of body surfing in chawang on koh samui certain times of the year i used to love it till i lost me shorts one time then never went back. but as for surfing with one of those ironing board type things as said already no good in Thailand sorry. :wink:

and that nias island surf sumatra web site loooooks nice. 8)
Can You Dig It Dug.?

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » March 2, 2006, 3:23 am

yes can body surf a boogie bord in samui,beach break,but dumps anywhere,no real wave,no good for sufing,but fun body surfing if ya dont mind sand in every orifice lol....
nias has a right hand reef break and fast!!! :P
take some wax with you !

Stu
udonmap.com

Post by Stu » March 2, 2006, 4:14 am

Well, it looks like the surfing idea is a big wipe-out. Guess I'll have to be content with some sea kayaking and body surfing. Thanks for the information, though. Farang, Nias looks great but I can't make it this trip. The old time and money problem, you know. BM, you let losing your shorts stop you from body surfing? It's much more fun without them, lol.

Thanks again,
Stu

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 2, 2006, 4:50 am

yeah sand in all the wrong places you will be f**ting sand for a day or two. :roll:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 2, 2006, 10:54 am

They do a bit of surfing in low season at Kalim and Kata in Phuket, but it isn't up to much. Kalim is also all rock and quite shallow.

It's not worth coming to surf, but if you are there anyway and want to try it, you can hire body boards. :(

Stu
udonmap.com

Post by Stu » March 2, 2006, 11:44 pm

Thanks for the links, Farang. Those are some good sites. The Thai site pretty much confirms what you guys have said -- that there isn't much surfing in Thailand, but I'm not a pro or anything, just looking for a spot to give it a try again after many years. The site listed a few nice beaches that sound like they might be off the beaten path a bit. Even found a place where I might be able to rent a board. Thanks again. Stu

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » March 3, 2006, 12:14 am

dont surf over rock or coral to start with mate,surf sand first ! beginners guide and
http://www.sexwax.com/site/chill_zone/i ... video.html
www.udonmap.com

Return to “Southern Thailand”