Vegetable Festival Phuket

Southern Thailand and the islands
bumper
udonmap.com

Vegetable Festival Phuket

Post by bumper » September 14, 2008, 10:05 am

Make getting nailed to a cross like in the P.I. look like childs play. A lot more then a veggie diet.

I was bored last nihgt watched a thing called Taboo's on discovery channel and to my surprise up pops Phucket.

Ok this from the memory of an old Git. A few hundred years ago a Chinese ballet troop wa perfoming in Phicket, when they cae down with a very serious decease. Don't really which one. But began a viggie ionly diet adn scarificed ti thie gods, by impaling thier faces and such a I understood it. They survived.

So now each year some pay to the gods for the well being of the isalnd, by doing the same to themseleves a highly religous act to as I remeber nine Chines Gods. This as explained is practiced by the Thai Chinese inhabitants of the island.

When I say impale their face we are talking oblects as large as broom sticks through both cheeks. One guy flails himself wih a sword, untill he bleeds not a little a lot. He has been doing it to for twenty years. The follow this up with stroll to the beach some five miles away in the un.

Then certain ones will climb a ladder of swords 64 feet high. Followed up by fire walking.

I was really amazed that this happens in Thailand i ha never heard of it before. This is one I will pass on. [-X

Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Vegetable Festival Phuket

Post by Paul » September 14, 2008, 6:00 pm

It is extremely famous in phuket and this year falls at the end of this month. I aim to be there for this one as in 24 years of going to Phuket have never seen it !
If I get any good photo's I will post them but I want to see the cheek piercings and the walking on knife edges and hot coals at the very least.

And as this topic is about Phuket and nothing at all to do with udon - I will move it from the 'General Topics on Udonthani' Section !

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 14, 2008, 6:14 pm

Well it sounded like an all day event to me. Have fun, not my cup of tea :yikes:

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 14, 2008, 10:14 pm

Hooray...the Vegetarian Festivals are coming next month. Vegetarian goodies will be on sale all over Thailand, including Big C and Tesco here in Udon. Its a nice change. =D>

And there will be special vegetarian menus all over Bangkok the first 10 days, which covers the time I go there to extend my visa!
:razz: :razz: :razz: Image =D> :razz: :guiness:

Return to “Southern Thailand”