Mekong River near to flooding

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 14, 2008, 1:40 am

This is one of the reasons, that I am usually reluctant to post any good photographs of mine on the Forum, as by doing so, according to the Forum rules, the copyright effectively passes to Udonmap. (see rule extract below) and also people can then plagerise(?) copy/steal them, as has now happened with some of my photos on this thread..
6. All content posted on the message boards of udonmap.com is the exclusive intellectual property of udonmap.com. Copyright ownership resides in that content by udonmap.com and the Company is free to use any of the content as they wish. Anyone other than udonmap.com seeking to reprint, republish, or reproduce content posted on the udonmap.com message boards must receive the express written permission from the Webmaster of the udonmap.com forum in which the content was posted. By posting on the udonmap.com message boards you are agreeing to the above and relinquishing all copyright to the contents of the post(s) to udonmap.com.
Waterstad, be aware that although I consider the photos to be mine, when posting them on the Forum, according to the Forum rules the copyright passes to Udonmap.com. And the consent of udonmap is required before you copy/steal them and post them elsewhere. These are the rules that you agree to, when joining Udonmap and when posting on Udonmap.

When posting photos onto the Forum, I console myself with the fact that I "shrink" the originals down when uploading, so they are much reduced inferior versions of my original photos.

Waterstad

Post by Waterstad » August 14, 2008, 2:09 am

Dear Arjay

I thought it would be a good idea to put the photos you uploaded urself to the forum in miniformat from it's source, being OUTSIDE the forum, viz. theIsara forum (http://www.isarapix.org/my.php?isara=pi ... 632516.jpg) to my website. I just followed the link from your minipics. Share(!) images with Isarapics it says, that's what I did, so not 'stealing' or whatever name you would name it.

So I don't think the copyright of your pics will be stolen/taken over by this forum, as you seem to fear, as they are only in midgetformat there. Maybe you should not have added the link to the Isara forum.
Anyhow, as they are now visible on my weblog this doesn't mean that I've taken over the copyright of it, far from that! If you would like it I can add your name and 'ownership/copyright' with it. I hope you will see that I have no commercial aspirations whatsoever on these photos.

I thought it important to show people what's happening in this part of Thailand, where the media don't seem to be interested in it at all.
But if you insist I can take the pics away, up to you !

As I told before, (part of) my heart lies in this neighbourhood, so I wanted to give a signal to people outside Thailand.

Waterstad

Post by Waterstad » August 14, 2008, 2:19 am

A view of Mekong river in better days, taken last May. Free to copy and to put on any website, while eventually naming my name, Joop Schilperoord

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » August 14, 2008, 2:49 am

:evil:

or ask first !!!!!!!! if you can copy photos to your website !!!

Steve3
udonmap.com

Post by Steve3 » August 14, 2008, 3:01 am

Great reporting arjay and thank you for keeping us all informed.

And:

"6. All content posted on the message boards of udonmap.com is the exclusive intellectual property of udonmap.com. Copyright ownership resides in that content by udonmap.com and the Company is free to use any of the content as they wish. Anyone other than udonmap.com seeking to reprint, republish, or reproduce content posted on the udonmap.com message boards must receive the express written permission from the Webmaster of the udonmap.com forum in which the content was posted. By posting on the udonmap.com message boards you are agreeing to the above and relinquishing all copyright to the contents of the post(s) to udonmap.com."

that puts the nix on posting photos to udonmap in the future it seems.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

~Steve3

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 14, 2008, 4:50 am

arjay wrote:Waterstad, upon reading the link to your website, I note someone seems to have stolen MY photographs (without my consent) and posted them on their weblog!!! [-X [-X

I am not amused. :mad:
Whoops waterstad nothing like putting your foot in it on your very first post..... #-o
I am sure you didn't mean any harm, as you wouldn't of copied Arjays pics then posted a link to your site on this very topic, but obviously you should of just asked arjay out of common courtesy, sure he wouldn't of minded (with a mention of arjay himself of course), i see you did give udonmap a mention going by the image farang posted though..but looks as if they have been deleted now anyway.

Hope this won't stop anyone posting further photos on the forum, you could just go into photoshop or something and put your 'stamp' on your real good ones.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 14, 2008, 6:43 am

Is everyone hustling to make a buck off their pictures or gain something else?I agree that the rules say that the rights become the forums when posted because it is in the rules!

Why,I don't know!Maybe because it is a commercial enterprise and wants to have rights for future profits,I don't know!

Unless there are commercial benefits to this rule that have some substance(More than a few baht and an ego stroke),I think that pictures taken and posted on a public forum should be available for whatever! :?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 14, 2008, 9:07 am

For me, it's more a case of the principle and common courtesy. I doubt the photos are of any great technical or financial value. If they were masterpieces, I wouldn't post them on the Forum anyway.

What I don't like to see however, is someone then taking/copying them using them elsewhere in a public domain and leaving others to think they are his. In other words someone else obtains credit at your expense - that's pretty much theft to me.

Ok if we download things from the Internet and use them for our own personal use/viewing like when you rent a Video/VCD/DVD - it's for your own personal viewing, not for you to re-broadcast publicly and allow people to think it's then your own material.

If we post material onto Udonmap's Forum, in accordance with the rules of the Forum and common courtesy/etiquette, we post an accreditation to the source - e.g. BBC News website.

I don't know the implications of our material being uploaded via Isara, somthing I have personally never favoured. I don't know for example, if Udon map's supposed copyright then passes to Isara. Maybe Lee will know the answer to that one.

I know there is a way to place a mark on the photos before uploading. I haven't yet mastered how to do that and didn't want to go to the hassle of that anyway.

Anyway here are a couple of much reduced photos (ie. courtesy of "shrink plc" - after high compression) from this morning. The river has risen a little bit more and the road is filled in, but it's not risen enough to encroach on the rising ground beyond the road.

PS. Thank you for your support farang.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 14, 2008, 9:43 am

i'm stealing all the pics and going to make a coffee table book, 'pics of isan', with me on the cover of course. going to be big seller, and it's all mine, mine, mine.

catch me if you can, cya in court. me and toxin will be fighting extradiction together. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 14, 2008, 9:54 am

for those not familiar with dry/wet season differences, especially the mekong. there are point during dry, you you could easily walk 95 % of the way across.

pics below are of the same spot, different times of year, just upstream from nong khai.

this pic, still not dry season

this one maybe a month later

here's another, during this year songkran, so still had some rain prior this, but further upriver.

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » August 14, 2008, 10:15 am

Good Photo,s LA, where were they taken, looks as though it would be good for a day !trip

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 14, 2008, 10:35 am

The forum rules have been ammended:
6. All written content posted on the message boards of udonmap.com is the exclusive intellectual property of udonmap.com. Copyright ownership resides in that content by udonmap.com and the Company is free to use any of the content as they wish. Anyone other than udonmap.com seeking to reprint, republish, or reproduce content posted on the udonmap.com message boards must receive the express written permission from the Webmaster of the udonmap.com forum in which the content was posted. By posting on the udonmap.com message boards you are agreeing to the above and relinquishing all copyright to the contents of the post(s) to udonmap.com. Photos posted on the udonmap.com forum remain property of the owner. Please remember to watermark them. Udonmap.com will not use photos posted on the forum for any other purpose without permission from the owner.
Cheers, Lee

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 14, 2008, 10:46 am

last one was pak chong, beteen chiang khan and nong khai. their beach area, nice guesthouse there also. got pre-destined to stay there during songkran weekend. poor planning and not enough gas to make it to next station, all closed at night. but nice stop.

the other two are from a wat on the river, between sri chiang mai and nong khai. directly next to river on a bend, comes up quick. but has a sign, as a tourist wat. :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 14, 2008, 11:56 am

Thanks for amending the rules, Lee. Now we can all return to our computers that contain no illegal software, watch non-pirated movies on our DVDs, and listen to non-pirated music on our ipods.

halleej
udonmap.com

Post by halleej » August 14, 2008, 12:21 pm

Found some pictures from the Laos side:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/floodlaos/

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 14, 2008, 1:30 pm

They are goodpictures halleej. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks Lee, for amending the rules and your comments. It's more an irritation and a point of principle than anything.

The irony here was that the guy - a new member - posts a link on this Forum (the Forum he copied the photos from) to his website/web-blog or whatever, and then shows several of my photos on it, leaving people to think that he took them and that they are his material.

Moving swiftly on, - You know the expression, - "There's always one"? Well I spotted one today, - thought he'd drive his Jumbo through the floodwater! - see photo below -!!! :oops:

These pics were taken lunch time today. The water outside where I am staying has now crept up onto the pavement this side, and is getting close to the electric pole.

The town is sandbagging outside shops and houses. I've even seen mini walls of cemented blocks. It's not rained locally since last night though.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » August 14, 2008, 1:41 pm

Arjay, beware of Naga coming up the drains.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 14, 2008, 2:27 pm

It seems the pumps are not working well and the drains are full throughout NK.His hasn't rained today,as a matter of fact,it has been a very hot and dry day,but the water on my deadend soi has continuosly risen throughout the day!I have no fear of flooding in my hose as we are a meter higher than the soi and probaly 2 meters higher than the riverbank!

It is a possibilty that it is still raining in the North and the river could still rise!We have bright skies but large pillowy Cumulus clouds are still about!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 14, 2008, 3:53 pm

laphanphon wrote:for those not familiar with dry/wet season differences, especially the mekong. there are point during dry, you you could easily walk 95 % of the way across.

pics below are of the same spot, different times of year, just upstream from nong khai.

this pic, still not dry season

this one maybe a month later

here's another, during this year songkran, so still had some rain prior this, but further upriver.

Good point on the 'before' and 'after' shots...
Here is one of mine, further up river, wonder what this looks like now.!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 14, 2008, 3:57 pm

arjay wrote: Image

Is he washing the wheels on his motor..?

Return to “Nong Khai”