getting pickles in nong khai!

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 17, 2008, 9:51 am

beer monkey wrote:
747man wrote:
jingjai wrote:OK, tell this American pickle lover, what's the difference between a "branston" and a dill pickle. :D

FYI, Rudy's Bakery on Meechai Rd. in Nong Khai has homemade dills. 042-413072 or 089-577-9143. His other deli items and breads & pastries are good too.
O.K Jingjai, You know what a Dill is !! Branston Pickle is chopped up pickle in a Brown Sauce ( Similar to H.P ) But it is Branston Sauce.....Very tasty on Cheese,Ham,or Corned Beef Sandwiches,Got It ??
No ...but he might want some. :lol:
Yes,He will after he tries it the 1st time, BM...I see youre stuffing your face with McVities,I Like the Dark Chocky ones dunked in my Coffee !!!

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 17, 2008, 10:24 am

BRANSTON PICKLE! WOW! How I miss that stuff! also brookbond 'real" tea! LIPTONS TEA? no thanks I go without. Oxo,marmite,gravy granules,Mature cheddar cheese,fish and chips,salt n' vinegar crisps,harvester bread.English sausages.(not that plastic tasting crap they have here) smoked back bacon then there is chestnuts,crisp apples, cherries,peaches,plums,rasberries.strawberries, and them blackberries Mmmm! I loved go out on a sunday picking them.
I stocked up 2 years ago with most things. All I have now is few tea bags!
Problem is most stuff has a shelf life so only lasts up to about 2 years or so.
I will go back september and stock up again.Get just main items.
These are the only things I miss from My country.Except my family of course. 8)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 17, 2008, 10:29 am

mortiboy wrote:BRANSTON PICKLE! WOW! How I miss that stuff! also brookbond 'real" tea! LIPTONS TEA? no thanks I go without. Oxo,marmite,gravy granules,Mature cheddar cheese,fish and chips,salt n' vinegar crisps,harvester bread.English sausages.(not that plastic tasting crap they have here) smoked back bacon then there is chestnuts,crisp apples, cherries,peaches,plums,rasberries.strawberries, and them blackberries Mmmm! I loved go out on a sunday picking them.
I stocked up 2 years ago with most things. All I have now is few tea bags!
Problem is most stuff has a shelf life so only lasts up to about 2 years or so.
I will go back september and stock up again.Get just main items.
These are the only things I miss from My country.Except my family of course. 8)
Mortiboy,With that lot better mind you dont FOLLOW through,When in FARTY Mode !!

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 17, 2008, 10:38 am

OH I forgot! .......HIENZ BAKE BEANS! :fart: .......PHEW!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 17, 2008, 11:29 am

mortiboy wrote:OH I forgot! .......HIENZ BAKE BEANS! :fart: .......PHEW!
The LAST thing YOU need with YOURE condition !!!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 17, 2008, 1:46 pm

Sounds good! I'm always up for a new eating experience. :D
Guess I'll have to try some next time I make a Duty Free/Nong Khai run.

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » June 17, 2008, 2:19 pm

Jing Jai, I guess a cheese and branston pickle sandwich is to the English what the peanut butter and jelly is to the Americans.

You should use thick sliced crusty bread and good quality mature cheddar, mmmm lovely
=P~

Think I need to drive to NK now to "Bring Out The Branston" :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 17, 2008, 3:41 pm

ok, baked beans 101, if out of a can, so sad. I know you brits like them things for breakfast, hmm, strange brew.

first, drain the slop off they call tomato sauce. now you have beans. dice up some onions, peppers (green and/or red), add you favorite bbq sauce, little ketchup (tomato sauce) if straight bbq sauce is too much for you, little maple syrup, dash of Wisk shire sauce, and wee bit of spicy mustard. I throw a little garlic powder, very little, and some cayenne pepper powder in. now this sauce should simply cover the beans, you're not making chili or soup. then this goes into baking pan, and bake till bubbly and top just starting to dry at spots. if not having an oven, the quick fire bbq is excellent, though you will have to control the temp, and indirect heat. (place cookie sheet on grill, then wire rack, then bake bean pan on top that, cover with tin foil if wanting moister beans. a mere 15 minutes, and delicious. I usually use 3 small cans, 30 baht range, cheapest, all you want are the beans, and I usually mix to different bbq sauces and no ketchup, personal taste thing, then maple syrup 1/4 of bbq sauce amount, wis saus, just a splash or 2, the rest is personal choice. onions and peppers, sliced no larger than the beans, maybe a little sausage, spicy, or ham/bacon if preferred. the onions and peppers should be about 1/3 amount of beans, at least. if you chopped too many, well, make and omelet tomorrow. bbq some sausages, then throw them in whole with the beans, or not, man, your living high.

haven't made them in a while, last time burned the hell out of the pan, which was a small Teflon bread pan, perfect for 3 small cans and extras. soaked the pan in water for a week, still would loosen up and couldn't get in clean, trashed, need a new pan. 8) was also my lasagna pan, though with the price of cheese now, i don't think i'll be making that anytime soon. higher dairy products, healthier eating for me. lots of cheese and butter of past, cut way down. 8)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 17, 2008, 3:51 pm

L A little tip, soak your pan in hot water and washing powder, not detergent, overnight, will loosen anything. 8) 8)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 17, 2008, 5:11 pm

chemisty project, that sucker was baked. all elements combined due to longevity of high temp. sucker sat in soapy water for week, at least, that crusty coating didn't budge. nice pan too. oh well, next. 8)

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » June 17, 2008, 5:39 pm

Baked beans 101 (UK)

Open tin, heat up and have with breakfast yum yum :lol: :lol:
Free the Doug 1

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 17, 2008, 9:46 pm

if having breakfast with mortiboy, open tin, heat up, have with breakfast, and retire to a safe distance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 17, 2008, 10:02 pm

Baked beans on toast! Yum yum yum!
When I eat the whole tin, run run run! :fart: :fart: :fart:

scouse

Post by scouse » June 17, 2008, 10:06 pm

baked beans on toast with grated cheese and vinegar and a poached egg on top :lol: one of my all time favourites
mix a bit of english mustard in with the beans too (got mine from the above mentioned shop at the bridge,bloody hot though)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 17, 2008, 11:34 pm

mortiboy wrote:Baked beans on toast! Yum yum yum!
When I eat the whole tin, run run run! :fart: :fart: :fart:
Can as well...?

and pickles can cause gas. :|

scouse

Post by scouse » June 18, 2008, 2:32 pm

im getting sadder......i scanned the label when i was fully pickled!!! :oopsImage:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 18, 2008, 3:19 pm

they have missed the 'e' off of 'old'...its gotta be 'Ye Olde English Branston' .
Can You Dig It Dug.?

scouse

Post by scouse » June 19, 2008, 12:57 am

maybe the supplying country is england and theyre out of date! :lol: :lol:

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 6, 2008, 11:39 pm

I couldn't believe it, I came across this recipe today, while searching for another:
http://www.practicallyedible.com
Branston Pickle and Sardine Sandwiches

1 tin Sardines
2 tablespoons Branston Pickle
dash White Wine Vinegar
Bread

Est. Prep Time: 10 minutes

Mash the sardines with the Branston Pickle, and stir in a few dashes of the vinegar.

Make a few pieces of toast, butter the toast, and spread the sardine and pickle mixture over. Eat straightaway.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 7, 2008, 1:19 am

Oh... my mistake. I thought the topic was "Getting Pickled in Nong Khai" (with apologies to Rose Rosannadanna, AKA Gilda Radner).

Return to “Nong Khai”