information on Nong Khai

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
caradacus

information on Nong Khai

Post by caradacus » May 7, 2008, 5:58 pm

Hi everybody,

This is a great site! Looking to relocate to the NK area. Would be greatful for information/recommendations regarding apartment rentals. Also would appreciate any comments from those currently living in NK. I have been living in LOS (2 years CM, 2 years Nakhon Sawan, 2 years Kanchanaburi) for the better part of this decade so am well accustomed w/Thailand as a whole, but would enjoy hearing about the local flavor of NK with which i have no experience.

Thanks,
Caratacus

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 8, 2008, 6:45 am

Why would you move here if you don't know anything about it!The best place in Thailand!What do you want to know specifically?

caradacus

Post by caradacus » May 8, 2008, 2:15 pm

Oh I've been there a few times. Mostly as a stopping point before going into Laos. One of the things that has always struck me is it's physical beauty. Specifically, I would like some advice as to housing. There are quite a few adverts for apartments in Udon but I didn't see any for NK. But also, what about basketball courts and fitness center? Oh, and to answer the why: I like new adventures and new experiences. Not knowing anything about it means there is so much to personally discover. Didn't know much about the above mentioned places either. All terrific experiences! I'm 29 and the time will come when I will feel the urge to settle down. So while it's still in me I want to soak in as much as I can.

Anyway, thanks for the reply BKKSTAN. Any info you can send my way would be much appreciated.

Caradacus

Caradacus

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 8, 2008, 3:00 pm

caradacus wrote:Oh I've been there a few times. Mostly as a stopping point before going into Laos. One of the things that has always struck me is it's physical beauty. Specifically, I would like some advice as to housing. There are quite a few adverts for apartments in Udon but I didn't see any for NK. But also, what about basketball courts and fitness center? Oh, and to answer the why: I like new adventures and new experiences. Not knowing anything about it means there is so much to personally discover. Didn't know much about the above mentioned places either. All terrific experiences! I'm 29 and the time will come when I will feel the urge to settle down. So while it's still in me I want to soak in as much as I can.

Anyway, thanks for the reply BKKSTAN. Any info you can send my way would be much appreciated.

Caradacus

Caradacus
I know of a house,small 3 br bungalow at 4000 that has been available for awhile.The landlord is Lao and I knew the 2 people that have lived there before and have since moved away!There are several options around town including a condohotel on the river 5-7000 range.A couple of apt buildings in town 3500-4000 range.

There is a fitness center that is only open 1600-2000 and I think it is closed on the weekend.The falang oriented fitness center we had before folded recently.There are weights,benches and other apparatus at Nongtim park with a running path around the lake,very nice setting!

A couple of swimming pool options available and summer swimming in the Mekong with sandy beaches with lots of food options!

There are several schools around with basketball courts,one near me in town and I see a tall Thai with his basketball heading in that direction around 0600.Large badminton facility fairly new.

NK is a fantastic town for getting around on a bicycle!

Very quiet town after 9 PM, except during Chinese Holidays.Weekends are very quiet.

We have a nice shopping complex,with movie theaters(no English soundtracks though),Tesco-Lotus,Starbucks,Pizza,KFC,clothing,food courts etc.!There are several falang oriented resturant-bars with some good falang food and some excellent Thai resturants,plus lots of good street vendors.
Tha Sadet market on the waterfront with all the tourist ''stuff''plus!

Best of all ,friendly locals as the community is diverse and heavily influenced with Lao people.Absolutely no hassle police force towards falangs!

Great wheather relatively speaking.low humidity!

Quite a few youngish falangs as there are 2 or 3 volunteer teachers organizations based here.Travel To Teach etc.

Alot of golfers here too!There are several of us that are readers and there is a good supply of books amongst us for swapping!

Then there is Udon Thani,just 50 KM down the road with a great road to drive,several buses a day and the train!In case you want a change of pace and English soundtrack movies and the airport.

Oh yeah,there are a couple of guys in Udon worth meeting too :lol:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 8, 2008, 4:15 pm

well if I wanted to know any thing about Nongkhai I would ask Stan since he lives there and I trust he knows the area well. the only time I visit Nongkhai is when I have to report to immigration then after I go to the market by the mekong river and shop sometimes I buy some thing but not very often

Return to “Nong Khai”