NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com
Posts: 178
Joined: September 6, 2012, 4:53 am

NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 8, 2019, 1:05 pm

The Tesco at NongKhai has been having "no plastic" days, I'm not sure whether this is a nation wide deal or not, but when the wife and I go to the NongKhai Tesco in the mornings on those days then we will receive our goods in paper bags, but if we go in the evenings they are out of the paper bags and refuse to use plastic, this results in customers having to carry their goods to their cars in their hands or else in the bottom of the shopping cart. The first time this happened was no big deal, but when it happens every "no plastic" day it becomes a pain. When we asked the cashiers why this happens, they tell us that the manager only allows them to use so many paper bags during those bags and refuses to let them revert to plastic bags. The last time my wife went there on a no plastic day she said there were hardly any other shoppers.



User avatar
Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 525
Joined: August 31, 2010, 11:49 am

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by Wee Jimmy » June 8, 2019, 1:13 pm

If no bags why not walk away and leave them with the messages to stack back on the shelves??

User avatar
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com
Posts: 2510
Joined: July 10, 2005, 8:53 am
Location: Ban Dung or Perth W.A.

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 8, 2019, 1:16 pm

I bought a number of Coles and Woolies insulated, reusable, shopping bags back from Aust. Went to use them in Makro Udon but was stopped at the door and told I could not bring them in.

Effin slow learners - got a lot of work to do. Obviously STILL a 3rd world country!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11591
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2019, 1:38 pm

Visited Tesco (old) Udon on 3rd (remembered no bags on 4th) they managed to break their previous record by giving me 34 plastic bags with my shopping :roll: AND that was having 2 x cashier (1x ringing up and 1x packing) [-X
I think that if i'd been allowed to pack the bags myself (as I did 20 years ago in UK) I would probably have managed to save 10 or 15 bags :-k If they are so worried about the over use of plastic bags why not just send the staff on a course of how to pack a bag [-X

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by Barney » June 8, 2019, 2:02 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Visited Tesco (old) Udon on 3rd (remembered no bags on 4th) they managed to break their previous record by giving me 34 plastic bags with my shopping :roll: AND that was having 2 x cashier (1x ringing up and 1x packing) [-X
I think that if i'd been allowed to pack the bags myself (as I did 20 years ago in UK) I would probably have managed to save 10 or 15 bags :-k If they are so worried about the over use of plastic bags why not just send the staff on a course of how to pack a bag [-X
So if you packed still 20 bags full?
I’ll assume you are shopping once a month.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11591
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

It did include 8 (12 x B5) pack crisps/popcorn for the kids which are pretty large :lol:

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3009
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by Barney » June 8, 2019, 3:13 pm

stattointhailand wrote:It did include 8 (12 x B5) pack crisps/popcorn for the kids which are pretty large :lol:
Ok
Case dismissed Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1470
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 9:14 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 8, 2019, 1:16 pm
I bought a number of Coles and Woolies insulated, reusable, shopping bags back from Aust. Went to use them in Makro Udon but was stopped at the door and told I could not bring them in.
I usually leave the insulated ones in the pickup or car, leave the cold shopping to last and just bring in the Ikea ones, because although you can get an enormous volume in them, they roll up into a tiny space. It's one of the Best Buys from Ikea.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on June 9, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stereolab
udonmap.com
Posts: 256
Joined: June 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by stereolab » June 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Barney wrote:
June 8, 2019, 3:13 pm
stattointhailand wrote:It did include 8 (12 x B5) pack crisps/popcorn for the kids which are pretty large :lol:
Ok
Case dismissed Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How big are the kids?

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11591
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2019, 2:06 pm

stereolab wrote:
June 9, 2019, 9:16 am
Barney wrote:
June 8, 2019, 3:13 pm
stattointhailand wrote:It did include 8 (12 x B5) pack crisps/popcorn for the kids which are pretty large :lol:
Ok
Case dismissed Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How big are the kids?
Bigger than they were 15 years ago :lol:

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com
Posts: 178
Joined: September 6, 2012, 4:53 am

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 9, 2019, 2:13 pm

Wee Jimmy wrote:
June 8, 2019, 1:13 pm
If no bags why not walk away and leave them with the messages to stack back on the shelves??
Actually we have seen people do just that, one fellow just walked away and said, "keep it then". I feel bad for the people on motorbikes, what are they supposed to do?

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10115
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by 747man » June 9, 2019, 2:32 pm

Big C In Nong Khai DON'T Have any problems Just been there for a " Smallish " Shop Spent like 700 Baht but they put it in 14 PLASTIC Bags......Amazing !!

User avatar
UdonExpat
udonmap.com
Posts: 1427
Joined: June 9, 2007, 10:30 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by UdonExpat » June 9, 2019, 3:49 pm

We often have a hard time with change. Plastic bags are on the way out around the world, as are other single use plastic products. Admittedly it's sometimes an inconvenience. The wife and I keep cloth bags in the trunk of the car and take as many in to the store as we think we'll need for our shopping. At Makro we leave them in the trunk and bag our items there. I think they object to bagged items because they can't easily count the number of items in the cart. We're bound to see more of this as the larger companies become more sensitive to ecological damage of single use plastic.
When in the US when I purchase an item in those nearly impossible to open plastic containers, I ask the sale clerk to cut it open for me and leave the plastic with them. I don't want it.
I have used the walk away method in the past, but not because of a lack of bagging my stuff, but rather because of long lines at the check out counters when they have lanes that are not open. I have just walked from my cart and gone to another store. One of the advantages of retirement and no time constraints.
Invest in some good shopping bags and congratulate yourself for contributing to the health of the planet.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9247
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by parrot » June 9, 2019, 4:05 pm

No need to put it into a bag.....ไม่ต้องใส่ถุง Today while my wife was buying veggies at the Nongwahsaw market, I bought milk at 7-11, snacks at mini-Big C, incense at the Buddha store, a coconut at the fruit vendor, and some flowers at the flower vendor. No plastic bags......no problem.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11591
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2019, 4:24 pm

parrot wrote:
June 9, 2019, 4:05 pm
No need to put it into a bag.....ไม่ต้องใส่ถุง Today while my wife was buying veggies at the Nongwahsaw market, I bought milk at 7-11, snacks at mini-Big C, incense at the Buddha store, a coconut at the fruit vendor, and some flowers at the flower vendor. No plastic bags......no problem.
Last time I bought flowers from the flower vendor they had 3 sheets of plastic wrapped round them, the only milk i've seen in 7/11 is in plastic bottles, most "snacks" in Big C are wrapped in at least 2 lots of plastic and the last time I got a coconut it came complete with plastic straws, so I suspect that even with NO PLASTIC BAGS there are still plenty of problems :-$

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9247
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by parrot » June 9, 2019, 5:18 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2019, 4:24 pm
parrot wrote:
June 9, 2019, 4:05 pm
No need to put it into a bag.....ไม่ต้องใส่ถุง Today while my wife was buying veggies at the Nongwahsaw market, I bought milk at 7-11, snacks at mini-Big C, incense at the Buddha store, a coconut at the fruit vendor, and some flowers at the flower vendor. No plastic bags......no problem.
Last time I bought flowers from the flower vendor they had 3 sheets of plastic wrapped round them, the only milk i've seen in 7/11 is in plastic bottles, most "snacks" in Big C are wrapped in at least 2 lots of plastic and the last time I got a coconut it came complete with plastic straws, so I suspect that even with NO PLASTIC BAGS there are still plenty of problems :-$
I'm not out to change the world......just trying to set an example and make a dent.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1522
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by Doodoo » June 9, 2019, 6:10 pm

"I'm not out to change the world......just trying to set an example and make a dent."

Thanks Parrot
We can all make a dent BRAVO

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9247
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by parrot » June 9, 2019, 6:56 pm

Many moons ago while homeschooling a few American children in Udon, I took them on a field trip to Erawan Cave. We had a bag of candy in the truck, and while at Erawan, the students wanted to give the children there some of the candy. The lucky kids promptly ripped off the wrappers and tossed them on the ground. One of the students picked up the wrappers....in plain view of the kids. She didn't say anything....just picked them up and tossed them into a nearby bin. After we came down from the cave, the same kids were at the foot of the mountain. Test time. The American girl handed out another round of candy and the kids promptly ripped off the wrappers and tossed them into the bin. Mission accomplished.

timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 553
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by timmy » June 10, 2019, 6:55 am

NongKhaiLee wrote:
June 9, 2019, 2:13 pm
Wee Jimmy wrote:
June 8, 2019, 1:13 pm
If no bags why not walk away and leave them with the messages to stack back on the shelves??
Actually we have seen people do just that, one fellow just walked away and said, "keep it then". I feel bad for the people on motorbikes, what are they supposed to do?
I mostly go shopping on my motorbike and keep a " cloth beach bag " under my seat , when going into the old Tesco or Makro I show security its empty and shop away … I have never been told I cant take it into the shop and the ladys on the till will smile and say " good, good " when I don't need any plastic bags ...

User avatar
UdonExpat
udonmap.com
Posts: 1427
Joined: June 9, 2007, 10:30 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: NongKhai Tesco No Bags Problem

Post by UdonExpat » June 10, 2019, 7:04 am

parrot wrote:
June 9, 2019, 6:56 pm
Many moons ago while homeschooling a few American children in Udon, I took them on a field trip to Erawan Cave. We had a bag of candy in the truck, and while at Erawan, the students wanted to give the children there some of the candy. The lucky kids promptly ripped off the wrappers and tossed them on the ground. One of the students picked up the wrappers....in plain view of the kids. She didn't say anything....just picked them up and tossed them into a nearby bin. After we came down from the cave, the same kids were at the foot of the mountain. Test time. The American girl handed out another round of candy and the kids promptly ripped off the wrappers and tossed them into the bin. Mission accomplished.
Great example. None of us are going to change the world. The best we can do is play our part in the drama that is constantly unfolding. By doing our best to be responsible people the world may change on its own.

Post Reply

Return to “Nong Khai”