Driving license renewal at Nong Khai

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
stereolab
udonmap.com

Driving license renewal at Nong Khai

Post by stereolab » September 21, 2018, 8:53 pm

Yesterday I went to the NK Vehicle office to renew my car driving license. The receptionist told me I must go to Immigration and get a form. Went to Immigration, they say I must have a letter from the Vehicle Office before they can do their bit. So, back to VO, and eventually I receive a letter to take to Immigration. Although I had my passport with very recent extension of stay (retirement), yellow a Tabian book and countless other photocopies, they insisted on seeing my MILs blue book. So this morning with all the documents went back to Immigration and they processed all the paperwork and at the end said that I would receive a home visit in the next week to ascertain where I am staying. I have now completed 7 extensions of stay (retirement) and not a sign of a home visit, but for a driving license renewal I will receive one.

You can apply 3 months early to renew a driving license, if you are NK based, I would apply at the earliest opportunity.

I do not know if this is purely a NK Immigration requirement, or if it is a country wide policy, stop laughing at the back.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Driving license renewal at Nong Khai

Post by Giggle » September 21, 2018, 10:28 pm

Oh, No, stereolab, It must have been your tattoos, your lack of jacket, vest and tie, or the way you sat without crossing your legs. I've lived here (insert a number between 50 and 6000) years and I always get superior treatment from the kind folks in Thai officialdom. They treat me with utmost respect and often deliver my driver's license to my home if I've been forgetful and overlooked renewing it. Yes, in my long, long stay here, I've embraced the subtleties of enamoring myself to the Thai's preferred mannerisms.

For you, they will visit your house, take photos inside and out, and order you to go pickup your letter at immigration in a week's time. THEN, you will be required to return that letter back to the driver's license branch where they will, this is the great part, make an appointment for you to come back some other day to watch their video and get your license.

If you only knew how to stop being so offensive and rude, like I've learned, perhaps you wouldn't have to put up with such officious impediments. Perhaps you will learn, in a century or two...
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 22, 2018, 12:38 pm

stereolab wrote:
September 21, 2018, 8:53 pm
Yesterday I went to the NK Vehicle office to renew my car driving license. The receptionist told me I must go to Immigration and get a form. Went to Immigration, they say I must have a letter from the Vehicle Office before they can do their bit. So, back to VO, and eventually I receive a letter to take to Immigration. Although I had my passport with very recent extension of stay (retirement), yellow a Tabian book and countless other photocopies, they insisted on seeing my MILs blue book. So this morning with all the documents went back to Immigration and they processed all the paperwork and at the end said that I would receive a home visit in the next week to ascertain where I am staying. I have now completed 7 extensions of stay (retirement) and not a sign of a home visit, but for a driving license renewal I will receive one.

You can apply 3 months early to renew a driving license, if you are NK based, I would apply at the earliest opportunity.

I do not know if this is purely a NK Immigration requirement, or if it is a country wide policy, stop laughing at the back.
I would say that if you are NK based then on your next visit to Udon then renew your licence at AEK. The DLT doesn't require you to renew at the office closest to you.
Also if you apply early you get a licence that expires 1 year earlier than if you apply 1 day after your licence expires.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 22, 2018, 4:36 pm

That sounds like a good plan to go to AEK, my initial licence actually was sourced from that office.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

stereolab wrote:
September 22, 2018, 4:36 pm
That sounds like a good plan to go to AEK, my initial licence actually was sourced from that office.
Just make sure that if you are going after the license expires get somebody else to drive you. Also take your yellow book and present that, do not show them the proof of residence from immigration unless they ask for it, but do have it with you.

If renewing a 5 year to 5 year licence no medical is needed, if renewing car and bike licence only 1 set of original documents is needed photocopies are good for the other one (the copies information is specifically for AEK and given to me by them)
IMG_4927-2.jpeg

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 29, 2018, 9:50 am

Received a phone call from Immigration to say they had prepared my certificate of residence form for the Driving Licence office. On Thursday went to DL and handed in the paperwork, did the usual red/yellow/green eye test, and then a check on peripheral vision, which I have never seen before, I actually failed this first time round, but the Boss said to wait a few minutes and re-try, I did and passed, but only just. Told me to come back in the morning , I did, sat through the video, paid my fee and had my photo taken, all very painless. Staff went out of their way to assist, very noticeable the kindness being shown to Alien customers. I fear, however, in 5 years time, if this peripheral vision test is still in play, my driving days will have ended.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » September 29, 2018, 3:25 pm

stereolab wrote:
September 29, 2018, 9:50 am
all very painless.
Eight days and a minimum of three trips to LicDept/Imm ... for a simple renewal.

A breeze.
very noticeable the kindness being shown to Alien customers.
What would have been kind, is if they'd have told you to come back ONLY on Friday, as that's the only day they'll entertain the round-eyed devils. But they never tell us that -- they like to watch us dance. Why can Thais renew their license any day but foreigners only on Friday? I think we all know the answer.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 29, 2018, 4:23 pm

stereolab wrote:
Received a phone call from Immigration to say they had prepared my certificate of residence form for the Driving Licence office. On Thursday went to DL and handed in the paperwork, did the usual red/yellow/green eye test, and then a check on peripheral vision, which I have never seen before, I actually failed this first time round, but the Boss said to wait a few minutes and re-try, I did and passed, but only just. Told me to come back in the morning , I did, sat through the video, paid my fee and had my photo taken, all very painless. Staff went out of their way to assist, very noticeable the kindness being shown to Alien customers. I fear, however, in 5 years time, if this peripheral vision test is still in play, my driving days will have ended.
Could you give a little more detail on the peripheral vision test please.
And which DLT office.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 29, 2018, 8:48 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 29, 2018, 4:23 pm
stereolab wrote:
Could you give a little more detail on the peripheral vision test please.
And which DLT office.
Taken at Nong Khai. After you take the test where the instructor indicate a color on a board in front of you, which I passed easily , you have to place your nose in a wee notch, keep your eyes firmly fixed forward on a colored spot, they then flash random colors to both eyes, st the extreme periphery of your vision. A new one to me.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

Giggle wrote:
September 29, 2018, 3:25 pm
stereolab wrote:
all very painless.
Eight days and a minimum of three trips to LicDept/Imm ... for a simple renewal.

A breeze.
very noticeable the kindness being shown to Alien customers.
What would have been kind, is if they'd have told you to come back ONLY on Friday, as that's the only day they'll entertain the round-eyed devils. But they never tell us that -- they like to watch us dance. Why can Thais renew their license any day but foreigners only on Friday? I think we all know the answer.
The reason I went on a Friday was because Immigration advised that my letter became available late on Thursday afternoon. No one said I could only attend on a Friday. It would take 3 weeks or so to renew in the UK, at a much greater cost than here.

Return to “Nong Khai”