V.S. Fishing Park Nong Khai

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
DermotC
udonmap.com

V.S. Fishing Park Nong Khai

Post by DermotC » February 23, 2011, 9:30 am

Hi All,

Myself and Wee Jimmy headed up to V.S. fishing park in Nong Khai yesterday to give it a go. We were not dissapointed. In about a 5 hour session we had 14 decent size fish between us, 13 being Pla Sawai and the other one Ive attached a photo of in the hope that someone can Identlfy.

The one bad thing about the park is it is not looked after properly, there are empty whiskey bottles, ring pulls from water bottles and other debris lying about the place.

Any fishermen out there I would encourage to give this place a go and dont forget to let me know if you can identify the fish in the pic.

Tight Lines

21again
udonmap.com

Re: V.S. Fishing Park Nong Khai

Post by 21again » February 23, 2011, 10:08 am

Is it a Mrigal? Picture obscures tail, could be the Bighead carp a.k.a. Tongstan, not sure about the spelling of that.Looks a good place to fish though. Oh and i could be totally wrong.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 23, 2011, 10:53 am

Hey 21, it did have a rather wide tail on it! At least I have some idea of what to look for on the net now to see what it is, thanks!

If anyone else has any input, always welcome!

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » February 23, 2011, 11:14 am

A Cod?

Looks a nice powerful fish anyway...!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 23, 2011, 4:31 pm

DermotC, your fish is a "big-head carp" also know as an Asian carp. Nice catch. One of the more difficult carp to put a hook it. Congrats.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 5131 times

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 23, 2011, 4:37 pm

Cheers Shado, I was hoping you or Brick would come to my rescue. I had done some research on the net and I was coming to that conclusion myself but always nice to have someone confirm!

We were fishing with rice and bread there, I got this bad boy on bread, different take than the Sawai and decent fight. Love to catch one like you have there!

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » February 23, 2011, 5:37 pm

Anymore info on this place ,Directions,facilities?Thanks

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 23, 2011, 6:59 pm

DermotC wrote:Cheers Shado, I was hoping you or Brick would come to my rescue. I had done some research on the net and I was coming to that conclusion myself but always nice to have someone confirm!

We were fishing with rice and bread there, I got this bad boy on bread, different take than the Sawai and decent fight. Love to catch one like you have there!

Point of clarification. That is not me holding the big-head carp. That is just a pic I attached to show the species. Probably should have pointed that out when I posted.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 23, 2011, 11:30 pm

No worries Shado, nice fish anyway and thanks again

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » February 24, 2011, 5:50 pm

red67 wrote:Anymore info on this place ,Directions,facilities?Thanks
Is it a secret then? :roll:

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 24, 2011, 11:17 pm

Hey Red,

Sorry missed your post!its by the chinese temple in NK! Its on the right hand side of the road and isnt signposted but you can see the lake. Wee Jimmy drove so he can give you exact directions. If he hasnt by tomorrow evening Ill give him a bell so he can post them for you.

It has a restaurant but we didnt eat there as it didnt look the cleanest place Ive ever been. I only had to Pee and I used the old toilets there as it was just behind where i was fishing. Im sure they have a proper bathroom if you need one but I cant say for sure. The place itself is quite dirty with empty bottles of 1000 pipers all over the place and ring pulls from water bottles so make sure you wear proper footware. Ill go back because the fishing was great (Catch and Release) but I wouldnt be going for the food. Hope this helps. by the way use a clear leader on your line. One of us was using a coloured and didnt catch until we changed it to a clear one. I had 20lb line on and it was fine for there.

Dermot

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » February 25, 2011, 12:35 am

Cheers Dermot might take a look ;)

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 25, 2011, 7:44 am

At the traffic lights in Nong Khai turn tight, go along that road until you think you are just about out of Nong Khai which would be about 2 kilometres. On the left you will see a double junction, take the second opening and the fishing lake is about 200 yards on the left.
Another route and probably the easiest would be to go into Nong Khai and go straight to the end of the main street until you come to the end of that road and turn right. (Chinese Temple will be at the end of this road on your left) Turn right after the Temple and about 100 metres on your left you will see the fishing lake. You can't miss it.
I wouldn't eat there, as it's not the cleanest place we have seen. You can buy drink’s. Take bread as bait and if you want to try rice as bait you can buy a bag of sticky rice there for 20 Baht.
Good fishing. I was using coloured line and was fishing along side Dermot using the same bait but caught nothing until I change my trace to a clear line trace.

Have a good day.

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » February 25, 2011, 8:01 am

Thanks for the info jimmy might check it out soon ;)

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 25, 2011, 10:07 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:At the traffic lights in Nong Khai turn tight, go along that road until you think you are just about out of Nong Khai which would be about 2 kilometres. On the left you will see a double junction, take the second opening and the fishing lake is about 200 yards on the left.
If I may clarify the above:

Coming into Nong Khai you reach the main intersection with the traffic lights (the one with the Phaiyana [Naga] facing you above the road), turn right there onto the bypass (as referred to above by Wee Jimmy) and follow that to the far side of Nong Khai - about 3kms, then take the second of the two turnings on the left (as referred to above). (The turning is immediately preceding "Coffee and Tree" restaurant). The fishing lake is then 600-700ms down that very straight road, on the RIGHT. ;)

Return to “Nong Khai”