Seeking advice

Udon Thani Forum help, support, rules, & announcements
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Re: Seeking advice

Post by mathusalah80 » September 10, 2017, 5:14 pm

I have sent you a pm. Hope it helps. Good luck for the future.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

ozzybill wrote:
September 9, 2017, 2:44 pm
Hello sometimewoodworker. Big tks for the advice. Yes I understand that I cannot own any of the land, the security I need with the house is that sometime in the future, whoever owns the land that it is on, which most likely will be a family member, can decide to move in with their extended family or they may ask me to leave. Or as my stepdaughter says, there is no problem leave things as they are, Only the future will confirm that. My time for decision does not finish until May next year so there is still time to decide on what to do. Big tks again, BILL
The possible problem with any land owner is precisely why I encourage you to investigate the possible getting of an Usufruct. If you can get one, and only the land office can decide, and if whoever you sell/give the land to will also agree to granting one to you, then in law you are protected from any new owner having a change of mind.

You do not own the land but you have complete control as if you were the owner while you live.

This will not stop local people making you feel unwelcome and trying to persuade you to leave, but then nothing will do that.

If you have a good relationship with your stepdaughter then she could be a perfect owner. You will need to get her to understand what an Usufruct is and why you want one (your security in Thailand, that has become your home) any land office will insist on informed consent from both parties.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

ozzybill

Post by ozzybill » September 11, 2017, 4:34 pm

Hello Sometimeswoodworker, tks again for the advice. I am showing my ignorance here but can you explain what a Usufruct is. What is required to "apply" for it.
Tks again BILL

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 12, 2017, 7:03 am

ozzybill wrote:
September 11, 2017, 4:34 pm
Hello Sometimeswoodworker, tks again for the advice. I am showing my ignorance here but can you explain what a Usufruct is. What is required to "apply" for it.
Tks again BILL
An Usufruct is a contract that you and the land owner sign and is then registered by the local land office.
If granted you have all the rights of the landowner (except actually owning the land) until you die. The actual owner can sell the land to someone else but that doesn't change your rights over the land. Usually nobody will buy land with an Usufruct on it.

The land must have a chanote or Nor Sor Sam title

Land officials have discretion as to whether they will allow an Usufruct to be registered, 1) some will, 2) some will not, 3) and some may depending on circumstances (if your land office is type 3 you have a good chance). This is why, if you decide to try to use an Usufruct your next step should be to talk to the land office with an independent professional interpreter explain all of your circumstances and ask if they will register one. Then find someone (possibly your stepdaughter) who will buy / accept the land as a gift and will allow an Usufruct. Then use a lawyer you trust to draw up an Usufruct for you ( costs can vary some law firms may charge over 40,000 Baht others less than 10,000 Baht) and register it at the land office

Further if your land officer is type 2 you can hope that he is transferred in the near future ( regular transfers are standard in the land office) then try again. This is Thailand and NO can change to YES if given time and persistence, be very careful about trying to change minds with gifts you could get a very bad reaction

For what it's worth my land officer is type 3 and SWMBO and I managed to get him to agree

For more information
https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/17 ... -thailand/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 12, 2017, 10:46 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 12, 2017, 7:03 am
ozzybill wrote:
September 11, 2017, 4:34 pm
Tks again BILL
An Usufruct is a contract that you and the land owner sign and is then registered by the local land office.
If granted you have all the rights of the landowner (except actually owning the land) until you die. The actual owner can sell the land to someone else but that doesn't change your rights over the land. Usually nobody will buy land with an Usufruct on it.

The land must have a chanote or Nor Sor Sam title

Land officials have discretion as to whether they will allow an Usufruct to be registered, 1) some will, 2) some will not, 3) and some may depending on circumstances (if your land office is type 3 you have a good chance). This is why, if you decide to try to use an Usufruct your next step should be to talk to the land office with an independent professional interpreter explain all of your circumstances and ask if they will register one. Then find someone (possibly your stepdaughter) who will buy / accept the land as a gift and will allow an Usufruct. Then use a lawyer you trust to draw up an Usufruct for you ( costs can vary some law firms may charge over 40,000 Baht others less than 10,000 Baht) and register it at the land office

Further if your land officer is type 2 you can hope that he is transferred in the near future ( regular transfers are standard in the land office) then try again. This is Thailand and NO can change to YES if given time and persistence, be very careful about trying to change minds with gifts you could get a very bad reaction

For what it's worth my land officer is type 3 and SWMBO and I managed to get him to agree

For more information
https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/17 ... -thailand/
The chanote can not have any mortgage or financial debt registered on it. Banks wont allow a mortgage on a usufruct

OzzyBill - Sometmewoodworker has explained this situation very professionally for you.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 13, 2017, 9:19 am

as I see it, normally the OP would own 1/2 the house as is normal in a marriage ( but not the land under the house ) maybe you now own all the house. but if no Will I cant guess as to what a court would do with your late wifes supposed half share. does that 1/2 share now belong to the family?

ANYWAY this gives you abit of a bargaining chip with the family. they cant have your share of the house ( or house ) and you cant have the land it sits on, unless you and them work a deal..

I think they would want the house after you are departed this earth..so they may well play ball as to your idea..
you have been with the family for some time so I think they will be kind..

thanks for your post, as others like me might one day end up in your position. so it food for thought ..I have asked my missus to get a Will so the drunken family dont try and take off me and her little boy, but she is dragging her feet, mainly because she does not know what a Will is or does.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 13, 2017, 10:05 pm

maaka wrote:
September 13, 2017, 9:19 am
as I see it, normally the OP would own 1/2 the house as is normal in a marriage ( but not the land under the house ) maybe you now own all the house. but if no Will I cant guess as to what a court would do with your late wifes supposed half share. does that 1/2 share now belong to the family?

ANYWAY this gives you abit of a bargaining chip with the family. they cant have your share of the house ( or house ) and you cant have the land it sits on, unless you and them work a deal..

I think they would want the house after you are departed this earth..so they may well play ball as to your idea..
you have been with the family for some time so I think they will be kind..

thanks for your post, as others like me might one day end up in your position. so it food for thought ..I have asked my missus to get a Will so the drunken family dont try and take off me and her little boy, but she is dragging her feet, mainly because she does not know what a Will is or does.
AFIK On death of an intestate spouse you immediately own ½ of all your joint assets (this includes land) you also are entitled to the same share of the estate as children, if no children then it gets much more complicated. See section 1735

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/ ... -laws.html

Intestacy is a very messy situation and can cause immense hardship and family feuds. The local amper has simple will forms. As a minimum GET YOUR SPOUSE TO COMPLETE ONE and don't forget to make a will yourself

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 15, 2017, 4:57 pm

From 2 cases I have witnessed here in Ban Dung - Usufruct - is not what it appears to be. For a start the recipient, if successful, normally only gets 30 years. Strangely, the cases I know of relates to the same home contracted to 2 different Farang, over a period of about 8 years, where both crashed into Thai occupation through corruption and typical Thai wheeling and dealing.

Beware!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 15, 2017, 8:19 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
September 15, 2017, 4:57 pm
From 2 cases I have witnessed here in Ban Dung - Usufruct - is not what it appears to be. For a start the recipient, if successful, normally only gets 30 years. Strangely, the cases I know of relates to the same home contracted to 2 different Farang, over a period of about 8 years, where both crashed into Thai occupation through corruption and typical Thai wheeling and dealing.

Beware!
I have, and a friend in a different area has, lifetime Usufructs.

An Usufruct is a contact, sometimes people break or try to break contracts. Sometimes the lawyer drawing up the contact is less than honest. YMMV

ozzybill

Post by ozzybill » March 18, 2018, 1:50 pm

Hello everybody, tks again for the previous info. As my 12mth period, following the death of my wife, is drawing near I have a question regarding the contents of my house. If I was to move am I entitled to take all the furniture, linen, crockery, electronics ect, the whole capoodle, all of which I paid for. Any ifo greatly appreciated.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2018, 2:13 am

Yes all the content is yours

ozzybill

Post by ozzybill » March 19, 2018, 11:30 am

Tks stww, nice to know that hopefully I still have something. Thanks again, Ozzybill.

Return to “Forum Help, Support, Rules, & Announcements”