Ajax Error?

Udon Thani Forum help, support, rules, & announcements
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Ajax Error?

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 22, 2017, 3:57 pm

What is an "Ajax Error"?

For the past two days every time I try to mark "Forums Read" I get this error message and do not get a clean sheet! :-k

EDIT: And yes I have cleaned out the cookies.

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: Ajax Error?

Post by Nigglyb » March 22, 2017, 4:16 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:What is an "Ajax Error"?

For the past two days every time I try to mark "Forums Read" I get this error message and do not get a clean sheet! :-k

EDIT: And yes I have cleaned out the cookies.
Funny you should say that. I found opening the forum had got really slow a couple of days ago so thought I'd delete board cookies & got the same message but decided to ignore it. The forum seemed to open quicker a couple of hours later so I forgot about it.
I've just tried to delete board cookies again after reading your post & everything is tickety boo so that suggests its not an issue with global settings
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 22, 2017, 5:45 pm

Visits to Udon Map's website have been increasing gradually over time. We have now reached the point at which the server occasionally becomes overloaded, particularly at peak usage times, resulting in several problems including slow response time. We have been working with our hosting company to determine how big a server we should get; and I expect that the upgrade will happen within a week, or so. I'll report back here when the upgrade is complete.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » March 22, 2017, 5:47 pm

Udon Map wrote:Visits to Udon Map's website have been increasing gradually over time. We have now reached the point at which the server occasionally becomes overloaded, particularly at peak usage times, resulting in several problems including slow response time. We have been working with our hosting company to determine how big a server we should get; and I expect that the upgrade will happen within a week, or so. I'll report back here when the upgrade is complete.
Is that an "Ajax Error" then?

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » March 22, 2017, 5:52 pm

Offcourse ajax jou use voor cleaning the ---- in holland.
That is neccesary in the stadium they play. Totally ---- \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 22, 2017, 5:58 pm

Nigglyb wrote:Is that an "Ajax Error" then?
Possibly, -- as I understand it, Ajax is a protocol that has something to do with changing background data for a page display. Interestingly, during the course of my conversations with our hosting company I found out that Udon Map has been running for so long in the same configuration that our server has now become one of the oldest they have. Our new configuration will include new hardware, as well, which certainly can't hurt.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » March 22, 2017, 6:00 pm

I just used this Ajax to clean my computer & haven't got an errors yet

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 22, 2017, 10:24 pm

Nigglyb wrote:I just used this Ajax to clean my computer & haven't got an errors yet

Many years ago, I was a technical geek for a commercial computer timesharing service. Polaroid was one of my customers. Our contact there was an insufferable guy (initials EG) who thought that he knew everything. He once called up and complained to me about the speed of his applications. The salesman on Polaroid and I drove into Boston to see him. After he ranted for a bit about the response time, he told us that he had determined what the problem was. The disk drives were dirty, he said. (This was back when disk drives started at the size of a two-drawer filing cabinet.) He insisted that we clean the platters inside the drives.

A week later we went back. I carefully explained (throwing in a lot of meaningless technical jargon) how we had opened the sealed disk pack, and took a fine camel hair brush and carefully brushed the top and bottom of each platter. He completely bought it!!

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » March 22, 2017, 10:38 pm

This story appeared on my book of face news thread earlier. If its true or not I don't know, but it certainly sounds like some of the staffers I've had to deal with in the past. Sorry, its a bit long......
This is a true story from the Word Perfect Helpline, which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department. Needless to say the Help Desk employee was fired; however, he/she is currently suing the Word Perfect organization for 'Termination without Cause'.
Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee. (Now I know why they record these conversations! ):
Operator: 'Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?'
Caller: 'Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect. '
Operator: 'What sort of trouble??'
Caller: 'Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.'
Operator: 'Went away?'
Caller: 'They disappeared. '
Operator: 'Hmm So what does your screen look like now?'
Caller: 'Nothing.'
Operator: 'Nothing??'
Caller: 'It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type.'
Operator: 'Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out??'
Caller: 'How do I tell?'
Operator: 'Can you see the C: prompt on the screen??'
Caller: 'What's a sea-prompt?'
Operator: 'Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?'
Caller: 'There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type.'
Operator: 'Does your monitor have a power indicator??'
Caller: 'What's a monitor?'
Operator: 'It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on??'
Caller: 'I don't know.'
Operator: 'Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??'
Caller: 'Yes, I think so.'
Operator: 'Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.
Caller: 'Yes, it is.'
Operator: 'When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one??'
Caller: 'No.'
Operator: 'Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.'
Caller: 'Okay, here it is.'
Operator: 'Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer.'
Caller: 'I can't reach.'
Operator: 'Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is??'
Caller: 'No.'
Operator: 'Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over??'
Caller: 'Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark.'
Operator: 'Dark??'
Caller: 'Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.
' Operator: 'Well, turn on the office light then.'
Caller: 'I can't.'
Operator: 'No? Why not??'
Caller: 'Because there's a power failure.'
Operator: 'A power....... .. A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now.
Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in??'
Caller: 'Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.'
Operator: 'Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.'
Caller: 'Really? Is it that bad?'
Operator: 'Yes, I'm afraid it is.'
Caller: 'Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them??'
Operator: 'Tell them you're too f --- ing stupid to own a computer!'

d1gromet
udonmap.com

Post by d1gromet » March 23, 2017, 7:56 am

Yes Nigglyb, good story. Read same story when I bought my first PC in the 80's. only it was a Microsoft helpline person.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 23, 2017, 9:31 am

Instructions: Press any key to continue
User: Which key is the any key?

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 23, 2017, 9:39 am

Udon Map wrote:I'll report back here ....
As you may have seen, the server is being upgraded over the weekend, beginning at 1 a.m. local time on Monday. That should resolve problems like this.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » March 23, 2017, 3:18 pm

d1gromet wrote:Yes Nigglyb, good story. Read same story when I bought my first PC in the 80's. only it was a Microsoft helpline person.
Yeah the oldies are goodies!

Well, maybe not in this case

Return to “Forum Help, Support, Rules, & Announcements”