Times being displayed incorrectly

Udon Thani Forum help, support, rules, & announcements
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Times being displayed incorrectly

Post by stattointhailand » August 24, 2016, 11:50 am

"The year one is strange as well... While, in most cases, reference to years would start at 0, I am not sure in the old (now apparently no longer used :( - AD/BC) system that there was a year zero. "

Better ask mat80, he will remember :-"

Another thing came to mind whilst dealing with silly subjects :-k

If am stands for BEFORE MIDDAY, why is 3am not 09:00 or 3 hrs before midday :confused:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 24, 2016, 2:26 pm

stattointhailand wrote:"The year one is strange as well... While, in most cases, reference to years would start at 0,(actually Statts, I disagree with this statement but, since that is not your query, I will ignore it),I am not sure in the old (now apparently no longer used :( - AD/BC) system that there was a year zero. "

Better ask mat80, he will remember :-" The simple answer Statts, thinking back on my childhood years \:D/ .
There was NOT a year zero, within the context of your query. Thus, BC1 = (IN/During) the year preceding the birth of Christ. AD1 = (IN/During) the year immediately following the birth of Christ.

Another thing came to mind whilst dealing with silly subjects :-k .If am stands for BEFORE MIDDAY, why is 3am not 09:00 or 3 hrs before midday :confused:
am/pm: Your premise is at fault and also, within this sentence there appears some contradiction, (changing from referring to 3am being the same as 0900HRS is patently incorrect). Thus 3am = 3 hours after MIDNIGHT & 3pm = 3 hours after MIDDAY; in then referring to 0900hrs you have changed the topic from am/pm to the 24hr time reference. :-"
Inevitably, my post will bring forth a long winded, computer researched dissertation, from the Forum's 'Fount of All Knowledge" proving to HIS satisfaction, my views are absolute rubbish. I will not be replying since, to paraphrase Rhett Butler: "I simply don't give a damn, my dear!" ;) :D :lol: \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 24, 2016, 2:36 pm

Thanks M80 BC

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 24, 2016, 3:03 pm

Mat, we already agreed the latin for am/pm .... AM stands for Ante Meridiem (or before midday), and PM stands for Post Meridiem (or after midday), so any reference to a time being after midnight is nothing but a red herring (or blue mackeral) [-X

I only used the 24 hrs clock to highlight the difference between what we call 3 am and what should actually be 3 am (3 BEFORE MIDDAY) do try to keep up :lol:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 24, 2016, 5:18 pm

wazza wrote:Thanks M80 BC
Actually Wazza, , to be correct, using THAT time frame, is as follows:
MBC= Mat before birth of Christ. MDC= Mat during the time of Christ. MAC= Mat after the death of Christ. As for the imminent future :( : ADM= After the death of Mat.

Statts wrote: Mat, we already agreed-- I DIDN'T, nor was I even consulted! [-X -- the latin for am/pm .... AM stands for Ante Meridiem (or before midday), and PM stands for Post Meridiem (or after midday), so any reference to a time being after midnight is nothing but a red herring (or blue mackeral) [-X

I only used the 24 hrs clock to highlight the difference between what we call 3 am and what should actually be 3 am (3 BEFORE MIDDAY) do try to keep up :lol: Do you have the remotest idea of just how difficult that is for me? :oops: :(

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 24, 2016, 5:44 pm

Mat, take it as read (and even verified on wiki :-" ) that they are the translations of am & pm :lol:

As for keeping up, I (seem to have lots of those problems myself :lol: especially in the 59 mins after midnight whatever they are called 8-[ )

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 25, 2016, 6:59 am

I really cannot believe that so-called intelligent men who have done many things and worked a vareiety of jobs are arguing about what is so simple 10 year old Thai children can understand .
it is as plain as the nose on your face

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 25, 2016, 10:32 am

Ohhh I see what the problem is KP . .... No Nose :^o I've only got TWO HANDS on my face \:D/

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 25, 2016, 11:31 am

stattointhailand wrote:Mat, take it as read (and even verified on wiki :-" ) that they are the translations of am & pm :lol: This 'wiki' bloke; where does he come from, and what are his qualifications, which you consider justify your decision to embarrass me in front of Khun Paul by accepting his opinion over mine. [-X :( :oops:

As for keeping up, I (seem to have lots of those problems myself :lol: especially in the 59 mins after midnight whatever they are called 8-[ )
- Don't know anything about those hours to which you refer. Obviously I have more commonsense, (if not more academic nonce :-s ), than you; I am always in bed no later than one hour before midnight - 11pm- or, put another way, before 11 hours after midday - which, put even another way before 2300hrs. Hell, after getting addicted to this world changing discussion by the UM intellects, henceforth my life will be spent in total confusion, never knowing what time of the day, (or should that be night :? ), it is.
Mercifully, I can always turn for help to our intellectually superior fellow member, Khun Paul, who has clearly demonstrated, by his perceptive contribution, that he fully realizes how deeply serious & concerned we other contributors to this thread are about this problem. :-" ;) :roll: :lol:

Enough now this topic, Statts, less we cause Khun Paul further unnecessary distress [-X . Pray do not hesitate to inform us, should you be beset by any other problems blighting you life and with regard to which, you feel in need of our invaluable assistance/advice. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 25, 2016, 12:22 pm

Funny you should mention that Mat80 .... I woz just sitting here pondering the fact that me glass was half empty ....... but that's another refill :guiness: ..... must shoot .... clocks ticking ..... toodle pip pip pip :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 25, 2016, 1:45 pm

M80 AD and Statto et al

We have closure on I think ?

I have just 1 comment

Gregorian Calenders vs The Others lol

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 25, 2016, 3:43 pm

Which GREGORIAN CALENDER wazza?

Different countries changed at different times from mid 16th cent I think the earliest, to Germany at the start of 18th cent to England in 1752 ...... I still cannot get my family tree computer prog to accept that someone died in Feb xxxx and was born in Nov of the same year :lol: as was common under the julian calendar.

If you have any hair left, you have my permission to start pulling it out now :-"

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 25, 2016, 8:02 pm

wazza wrote:M80 AD and Statto et al

We have closure on I think ?

I have just 1 comment

Gregorian Calenders vs The Others lol
STIRRER! [-X Still got that big wooden spoon I see, Wazza. ;) :lol:
I have just 1 question...... AD = Anno Domino?.... :-" \:D/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 26, 2016, 6:47 am

Just to add another side to this post, the 24 hr clock used in conjunction with the NATO alphabet ( on numbers ) means that when spoken over the radio ( used in days of yore) it was easier to distinguish the correct numbers which led top more accuracy in military affairs, which at time was predominate factor in many peoples lives. Cold war etc etc. used with gay abandon by all forms of transport worldwide, unfortunately not used generally until the time of digitisation of time pieces.
Many Thai teachers I have seen stumble over problem of AM/PM and Hours, coupled with their 6 hr Thai clock ( spoken ) it is even more confusing . So for many to get tripped up over the way to say it and how to say it , is not surprising especially when you consider that even in the AM/PM mode you can say NOT write ( well you can if you really want to )
6.40am, or twenty to seven ,in fact there are as many as three ways using the AM/PM clock to tell some times, so that is confusing enough . anything else is simplicity in itself or is it. ???????
At least with the 24hr clock there is only one way to tell any particular time , no( pasts ) or ( to ) no need to even mention morning/ afternoon/evening . But hells bells it can be confusing when like here they use the 24 hr clock and tack on Am/PM which can be contradictory to what the numbers say .
As they say anything easy can be completely cocked up by a semi- intelligent government official. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 26, 2016, 7:44 am

Romeo Oscar Golf Echo Romeo

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 26, 2016, 8:53 am

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ......

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 26, 2016, 10:17 am

Uniform papa..yankee oscar uniform romeo sierra. .!!

another way :
ssip ffo. ( oops impolite )

Return to “Forum Help, Support, Rules, & Announcements”