Australian Election

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Australian Election

Post by Whistler » May 22, 2022, 10:52 am

papafarang wrote:
May 22, 2022, 8:02 am
makes me laugh, everyone getting excited over an election. the way i see politicians are just all self serving bshitters. they don't care about you , just smile ,make all the right speeches and promises that they break afterwards. people are just sheep because its always the same same . don't matter if you vote black or white your still voting for the same Zebra.
Dean, Albo is a thoroughly decent human being, It's about time we had a bloke like him in The Lodge.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 22, 2022, 11:48 am

I see the French have just given Morrison a few more kicks. Not the best of weekends for Morrison.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 22, 2022, 12:00 pm

Pretty sure Scooty not worried about a few frogs and their comments

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 22, 2022, 1:12 pm

noosard wrote:
May 22, 2022, 12:00 pm
Pretty sure Scooty not worried about a few frogs and their comments
That would not worry Scotty, water off a ducks back, the French deserve a bit of a pasting now and then. That sub deal with them was a shocker, $50b blown out to $90 billion. Happy the Oz Govt done a deal with the UK & US, better subs, that will make the greens and teals happy with nuclear in our waters.

Looks like Albo may have a majority Govt. I hope he takes care of Australia like the Morrison Govt did over the past 2 yrs.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 22, 2022, 3:16 pm

Peter Dutton the early favourite to take the poisoned chalice, and become the Leader of the Opposition.

Which is great news for the incoming government, and most of the new Independents, as he will ensure their longevity.

It seems that Pawleen is likely to lose her Senate seat, and the Cane Toad's reported $100m election spend came up blank. :D

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 22, 2022, 3:34 pm

BBC: Australia election: Anthony Albanese signals climate policy change

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61539426

Climate change has been controversial in Australia more so than Blighty, apparently.
Mr Albanese, who will be heading Australia's first Labor government in almost a decade, also promised to adopt more ambitious emissions targets.
However, he has so far refused calls to phase out coal use, or to block the opening of new coal mines.
The difficulty is jobs, not sure how he would attack this one. Rather like the UK Labour Party being reluctant to define what a woman is. :D
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 22, 2022, 3:42 pm

With Pritti Patel sat staring at them every day from the front benches, it not surprising to hear they are confused =;

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 22, 2022, 4:09 pm

Earnest wrote:
May 22, 2022, 3:34 pm
BBC: Australia election: Anthony Albanese signals climate policy change

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61539426

Climate change has been controversial in Australia more so than Blighty, apparently.
Mr Albanese, who will be heading Australia's first Labor government in almost a decade, also promised to adopt more ambitious emissions targets.
However, he has so far refused calls to phase out coal use, or to block the opening of new coal mines.
The difficulty is jobs, not sure how he would attack this one. Rather like the UK Labour Party being reluctant to define what a woman is. :D
It is not a difficult task at all. It is a wonderful opportunity. You do not close coal mines or natural gas projects without having renewable energy sources ready to fill the need for electricity, you cannot phase out fossil fuel for motor vehicles until a practical alternative source is available.

I have a client called BZE (Beyond Zero Emmissions) who has several tailored plans to manage the transition. Build renewables in those areas that will have to phase out fossil fuels. Setting up the infrastructure creates a huge amount of jobs, engineers in coal mines can become engineers in the renewable sector.

Australia has vast amount of land, huge amounts of solar power, plenty of wind power. It also has great scientists, engineers and a well educated, skilled workforce. The Great Dividing Range is the fifth longest mountain range on earth, water can be pumped uphill using solar, and drive turbines when it runs back down, 24 x 7. Energy can be stored in so many ways without batteries.

Pilot systems are being built now, with a determined government this is all possible in a reasonable timeframe. Australia could lead the world in Hydrogen power.

I think we are going to see a power revolution grow over the next few years, and about time.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 22, 2022, 4:34 pm

Yer a bit late there matey ..... Bojo promised that Britain would lead the world in Solar/Wind/Hydro/Methane and every other energy source years ago.
Now you lot kick out Bojo's mate Scotty in favour of some Ali Barba guy who didnt even go to Eton (how the f*** is he supposed to be in charge without an Eton Education?)
Well we promised first so its our ball, we get first dibbs and you lot aint playing ... so there

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 22, 2022, 5:48 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 22, 2022, 4:34 pm
Yer a bit late there matey ..... Bojo promised that Britain would lead the world in Solar/Wind/Hydro/Methane and every other energy source years ago.
Now you lot kick out Bojo's mate Scotty in favour of some Ali Barba guy who didnt even go to Eton (how the f*** is he supposed to be in charge without an Eton Education?)
Well we promised first so its our ball, we get first dibbs and you lot aint playing ... so there
Silly me

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 23, 2022, 2:12 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 22, 2022, 3:16 pm
Peter Dutton the early favourite to take the poisoned chalice, and become the Leader of the Opposition.

Which is great news for the incoming government, and most of the new Independents, as he will ensure their longevity.

It seems that Pawleen is likely to lose her Senate seat, and the Cane Toad's reported $100m election spend came up blank. :D
I was concerned Dutton might be a good wrecker like Abbot. Some politicians are very capable when in the opposition but useless when in government. Abbot comes to mind. Dutton is too much of a lunatic even by Abbot standards?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 23, 2022, 2:58 am

The ALP elected with a lower primary vote than Bill Shorten’s failed attempt in 2019. The younger generation of Australians have spoken, demanding that climate change be front and centre of any future policy decisions by the government. Good luck to Anthony Albanese as he walks the tightrope of competing interests within his party and those on the cross benches.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 23, 2022, 5:33 am

trekkertony wrote:
May 23, 2022, 2:58 am
The younger generation of Australians have spoken, demanding that climate change be front and centre of any future policy decisions by the government. Good luck to Anthony Albanese as he walks the tightrope of competing interests within his party and those on the cross benches.
Mostly all talk, no action.
Even then , as from pre-election, dribble, dribble dribble.

I have a pie chart on the wall here that was issued with my last tax return.
I often wonder how many actually take a look.
Scary stuff, 1/3 of all spending welfare alone.
Until the gov start to rein in social security and welfare, we're up the creek for the long haul.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 23, 2022, 6:06 am

Whoops, Abbott. I'm thankfully forgetting the dork's name.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2022, 6:31 am

trekkertony wrote:
May 23, 2022, 2:58 am
The ALP elected with a lower primary vote than Bill Shorten’s failed attempt in 2019. The younger generation of Australians have spoken, demanding that climate change be front and centre of any future policy decisions by the government. Good luck to Anthony Albanese as he walks the tightrope of competing interests within his party and those on the cross benches.
No Tony,

It was not the younger generation that spoke, it was the whole of Australia. The Teal candidates all won in seats where the demographics were wealthier, educated and mature Australians. My old electorate Robertson has one of the oldest demographics in the country, it swung to Labor. There is a rump of climate change deniers that despite all the scientific evidence refused to accept the fact that it was the number one issue. That group is thankfully now irrelevant.

Labor won on a two party preferred basis, a significant improvement on 2019.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2022, 12:35 pm

OFFICIAL

Labor has secured 76 seats

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 23, 2022, 12:46 pm

A clever achievement given that they had 32% of the primary vote and the LNP had 35% of the primary vote

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 23, 2022, 1:54 pm

trekkertony wrote:
May 23, 2022, 12:46 pm
A clever achievement given that they had 32% of the primary vote and the LNP had 35% of the primary vote
TT, its a rotten system we have in Australia. Somehow someone has to come up with a better way of the present voting system. Get rid of the preference voting, if you vote for LNP or Labor, thats who you want, not someone down the ticket. Also making voting mandatory should be given the boot.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 23, 2022, 2:43 pm

If only that was to come into being Sport.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2022, 2:52 pm

Other countries have run-off elections if no one party achieves 50% of the vote, so those who voted for a minor party would have to vote again at the runoffs, same result. The recent French Presidential election is an example of how this operates.

65% of the country DID NOT VOTE for Liberals as first preference, they would have gone to run-offs if we had that system, then Labor would still have won 53% to 47%. Run-off elections are also a form of preferential elections, but is more long-winded.

Don't blame the system, Labor would have won in both cases. The advantage of the preferential system that operates in Australia, is we get the same result but with a single election.

sour grapes?

Return to “Australia”