Sumo Japanese Restaurant Udon Thani - Issue 7

Discussions about the website, map, magazine and magazine articles.
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 22, 2009, 10:56 am

Turning Japanese I Really Think So

Is it the usual Thai or western feed again? How about taking a night off from the usual fare and checking out Sumo - the home of Japanese cuisine in Udon? Are you apprehensive about going Japanese? Are you thinking: "the Japanese technology is good and they put out some good cars, but the food…?" I stopped by the other day to give Sumo a try and as I pulled up to their door, I could feel this question. It was as though I was hanging on to that little ball at the bottom of the question mark. Well I must say my fears were unfounded as the dining experience was anything but a bad decision. Sometimes my appetite can be curbed by the prices. I must confess when I go to a restaurant and peruse the menu I look at the prices first and the selections second. As my ex used to say, "The birds are calling you again, cheep… cheep." Well I am happy to report that Sumo has offerings at varying price levels. So with those fears rested I carried on.

The menu offers an ample variety of popular Japanese dishes (Sushi, Yakisoba, Teriyaki, Takoyaki, grilled salmon and seafood with Japanese styled sauces). House recommendations and specials are posted on a white board weekly. Most items on the menu are pictured and you can sort it out as you go along. Some of the more expensive dishes are served as "sets" which include varieties of food with servings for more than one person. Food is served with Japanese rice (a shorter, thicker grain, sweeter than Thai rice). You can see and taste the difference.

Eating at Sumo allows the diner to inhale a mild puff of Japanese atmosphere, eliciting a pleasant change of pace. And there you are smack dab in the heart of Udon. The confines of Sumo render a quiet and clean setting with no critters lurking high or low as you dine. The tables are simply and tastefully laid with complimentary sanitary towels and a mixed-nut appetizer. Being a budget conscience diner I am most elated to report they offer a bottomless glass of green tea. While you wait to eat you can browse the restaurant's gift shop which offers souvenirs and novelties from Japan, China and Korea.

Let's face it: either you like Japanese food or you don't. I can sincerely recommend the Sumo (not because they are a sponsor folks), especially to those who dine out regularly and are looking for a new venue. Perhaps you have passed by here 100 times on the way to Centrepointe or the Complex, well it's ok folks – drop in. The menu is in English and Thai; you can find a meal to suit your budget; the service is good and the food is interesting.

innercircle
udonmap.com

Re: Sumo Japanese Restaurant Udon Thani - Issue 7

Post by innercircle » March 21, 2009, 8:52 pm

yeah went to sumo on my last trip to udon, food was very good.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » June 15, 2013, 6:30 pm

any info on this place? still around? location? etc.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Return to “Website, Map & Magazine forum”