Americans plead for vaccines as top US ....

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Re: Americans plead for vaccines as top US ....

Post by Armyvet » June 5, 2021, 12:13 pm

I have long since ceased to be amazed at the unfriendly comments directed at Americans and the American Gov't where no one has done more for so many. Americans, apparently unlike some you, do not expect to be abandoned just because we live in another country and neither should any citizen of another country where citizenship is maintained and esp where taxes are paid. When we have reached out to so many, even unfriendly countries why would we not expect to be taken care of by our own. I also find the term begging, as used, to be offensive. The Embassy has a duty to provide certain services, hence the title Citizen Services. If not the Embassy, who? The Thai gov't has quite openly expressed their distaste for the foreigners by their Health Minister's remarks. This week contains June 6, D Day which was the beginning of the effort to retake Europe from the Nazis while else where in the Pacific were efforts to remove the Japanese from their threat. How quickly we forget that the US paid a terrible price for much of the world to be able to speak their own language and have their own gov'ts. Yet cheap, immature American bashing sounds off at every opportunity by the so called intellectual experts.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » June 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

I have long since ceased to be amazed at the unfriendly comments directed at Americans and the American Gov't where no one has done more for so many. Americans, apparently unlike some you, do not expect to be abandoned just because we live in another country and neither should any citizen of another country where citizenship is maintained and esp where taxes are paid. When we have reached out to so many, even unfriendly countries why would we not expect to be taken care of by our own. I also find the term begging, as used, to be offensive. The Embassy has a duty to provide certain services, hence the title Citizen Services. If not the Embassy, who? The Thai gov't has quite openly expressed their distaste for the foreigners by their Health Minister's remarks. This week contains June 6, D Day which was the beginning of the effort to retake Europe from the Nazis while else where in the Pacific were efforts to remove the Japanese from their threat. How quickly we forget that the US paid a terrible price for much of the world to be able to speak their own language and have their own gov'ts. Yet cheap, immature American bashing sounds off at every opportunity by the so called intellectual experts.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 5, 2021, 12:45 pm

Armyvet wrote:
June 5, 2021, 12:20 pm
Well said. Full agreement.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 5, 2021, 3:54 pm

When our daughter was 18 and a few months, she told us she wanted to move into an apartment. We told her, fine, but don't knock on the door when the rent is due. I've taken the same approach moving to Thailand. The US Embassy has a commissary, a doctor, a lawyer, a mail room for US mail.......it'd be nice to take advantage of those bennies as a US citizen/veteran, but I recognize I don't qualify. If the embassy were to make vaccines available, I'd take advantage......but I don't feel they have any obligation to pay the rent for me.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 5, 2021, 5:05 pm

I totally agree with Parrot. I was really surprised to learn after moving here some 15 years ago that the USEMB was doing outreach visits to select locations around the country to support US personnel with passport, notary, birth/death certificates etc. I certainly didn't expect that. My wife and I moved here fully expecting to handle everything on our own which we have done. I certainly consider us lucky to have really excellent health insurance to cover our medical needs.

BTW the Joint US Military Assistance Group in Bkk does provide some limited mail service for US personnel here in Thailand. Long ago I had a mailbox there but gave it up due to the travel inconvenience involved. The JUSMAG group does provide US military ID card services for members and their family and they have a very nice snack bar open to all visitors.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2021, 5:12 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
June 5, 2021, 12:45 pm
Armyvet wrote:
June 5, 2021, 12:20 pm
Well said. Full agreement.
The Russians lost more in WWII, Way, way more.

Man up you bloody pansies!

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 5, 2021, 7:21 pm

Tamara, the resident Agony Aunt of Udonmap at her vitriolic worst. There are 3 types of people in this world, those who run towards danger to assist others in need, those who refuse to believe danger exists and those who look the other way. There is no doubt in my mind which category best describes Tamada.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » June 5, 2021, 10:58 pm

I had this conversation outside the forum with another. I really do not expect the Embassy to send Dr's to every province to inoculate Americans or require Americans to show up at BKK or Chiang Mai for shots.. I contended that there could be a system where the Embassy could support a program and that is apparently what is going to happen. The US will furnish what Thailand seemingly could not in a timely manner. We rush aid and bust balls to help other countries and illegals so why not Americans? We pay for all of it so we should see some benefits by helping our own. We have a situation where much is spent on illegals for example but lack supporting programs for aging, vets, mental problems and homeless to name a few, Why? If I wanted to forfeit my citizenship I could expect nothing but I have not and paid my dues to maintain it.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 6, 2021, 1:44 am

The US should tax its residents and citizens more if it wishes to increase support to its vets. Many other countries have higher rates of taxation than the US.

I live in New Zealand. I'd find it shocking if the New Zealand government was funding the vaccination of NZers overseas. It should help fund vaccination programmes in the developing world before doing that.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 6, 2021, 10:19 am

parrot wrote:
June 5, 2021, 3:54 pm
If the embassy were to make vaccines available ...
They are -- to practically everyone in the world but US citizens. Can't you read?

While active military, I participated in several Medical Civil Action Programs (MEDCAP) with US Army units where thousands of locals (Philippines, Mongolians, Indians, Thailand) showed-up and were treated by docs and IDMTs, independent-duty medical techs, over a few days in a central location and with a little advance notice. All at no cost to anyone (except the US taxpayer). In Mongolia, the medics pulled teeth from hundreds of ailing patients. It would take very little to organize one IDMT and a logistics/admin guy to set up a room for one day in a central hotel and administer vaccinations. One day in Isaan, one in the north, one in the south.

This would require far less effort and benefit actual Americans -- which is probably why the imbeciles in charge are opposed to it.

Nah, better to benefit complete strangers and ignore people who actually pay monthly health-care premiums for situations just like this.

Liberalism is a disease.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2021, 10:30 am

GT93 wrote:
June 6, 2021, 1:44 am
The US should tax its residents and citizens more if it wishes to increase support to its vets. Many other countries have higher rates of taxation than the US.

I live in New Zealand. I'd find it shocking if the New Zealand government was funding the vaccination of NZers overseas. It should help fund vaccination programmes in the developing world before doing that.
Can you please enlighten the viewing audience to the logic behind your statement.
Not many times I agree with Giggle but this is one of them.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 6, 2021, 11:08 am

Giggle wrote:
June 6, 2021, 10:19 am
parrot wrote:
They are -- to practically everyone in the world but US citizens. Can't you read?
fascism is a disease of the mind.
so are you saying america has provided the vaccines for thailand , but for some reason they wont give it to you personally ? i wonder if you should just pop down and put your name on the list like everyone else has done.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 6, 2021, 11:17 am

As usual, you're missing the point, simple pieman.

Getting your name on some Thai list is a long shot from being vaccinated -- as many found out this week.
Deputy Secretary of State Wendy R. Sherman visited the Kingdom of Thailand June 1-2 for strategic discussions with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai, and representatives from international organizations.

The Deputy Secretary reiterated the U.S. commitment to the people of Thailand in our fight against COVID-19, which includes $30 million in COVID-related assistance to Thailand. The two sides agreed on the importance of continuing to work together to combat COVID-19.
https://th.usembassy.gov/statement-on-t ... -thailand/

That's 30 million large to strangers in a China-cozy backwater half a world away, and zero assistance to citizens of their own country living there.

Liberalism is a disease. Trump wouldn't stand for this.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 6, 2021, 12:28 pm

strange that the united states is not taking care of their expats but taking care of everyone else . but if you can not afford daily life and to take care of your health you do not belong in a foreign country . if I wanted a vaccine I would just pay for it .
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 6, 2021, 12:32 pm

Yes, set up the logistics for approximately 9 million US expats spread out in over 160 countries, see how well that works out. I guess there's some Americans on here who believe that Thailand is the only country where US expats are, but they are just a blip compared to the number of US expats in other countries.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 6, 2021, 12:59 pm

just a blip compared to the number of US expats in other countries
Other countries are vaccinating people. Everyone. You're right Ken, not all countries are the same. Nearly all are in better shape than Paradise when it comes to vaccinations.
if I wanted a vaccine I would just pay for it .
Not here, you wouldn't.

I know of no hospitals here where I can walk up and buy a covid vaccination. That's the point here. They're not available for sale, and especially not to farang.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2021, 1:07 pm

papafarang wrote:
June 6, 2021, 11:08 am
Giggle wrote:
June 6, 2021, 10:19 am
parrot wrote:
fascism is a disease of the mind.
so are you saying america has provided the vaccines for thailand , but for some reason they wont give it to you personally ? i wonder if you should just pop down and put your name on the list like everyone else has done.
Dean, do you really believe the American vaccines will ever reach Udon before the Military hi yins, the politicians and the Hi So's plunder the supplies. Its the Chinese crap for us plebs, if ever.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 6, 2021, 4:37 pm

I think the US should focus on the well-being of residents in the US ahead of Americans abroad. Covid has obviously been awful in the US and there are still many many people there at serious risk.

Now that there isn't a f ... moron in the White House, the US government is capable of understanding the big picture. It's in the developed world's interests for Covid not to be out of control in the developing world. The fewer variants appearing the better. We don't want a repeat of 2020.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 7, 2021, 2:50 am

Giggle wrote:
June 6, 2021, 12:59 pm
just a blip compared to the number of US expats in other countries
Other countries are vaccinating people. Everyone. You're right Ken, not all countries are the same. Nearly all are in better shape than Paradise when it comes to vaccinations.
That I will agree with you. As far as populated countries go, Thailand is probably only doing better than the Philippines. But they aren't too far behind countries like Australia, Japan, South Korea, and India, which unfortunately probably isn't saying much because they don't seem to be doing very well either.

In all seriousness, and I have stated this before in another post, that I hope the United States gets any excess vaccinations they have out to the rest of the world. Unless everyone is vaccinated, like GT93 stated, variants will make it worse. But at the same time, I also believe whatever country a US expat is residing in, they need to be patient receiving their vaccination.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 7, 2021, 6:50 am

GT93 wrote:
June 6, 2021, 4:37 pm
I think the US should focus on the well-being of residents in the US ahead of Americans abroad. Covid has obviously been awful in the US and there are still many many people there at serious risk.
LOL . yes people dying in the streets ! dropping dead every where ! 98%+ recovery rate . LOL . it wiped out 0.18% of the population .

Johns Hopkins University Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
Mortality in the most affected countries

1.8% mortality .

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”