Americans plead for vaccines as top US ....

colt1911
udonmap.com

Americans plead for vaccines as top US ....

Post by colt1911 » June 2, 2021, 8:48 pm

Americans plead for vaccines as top US diplomat visits. BKK Post

"A group of prominent US citizens in Thailand has submitted an open letter to visiting US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman asking the US government to arrange Covid-19 vaccinations for its expatriate citizens."

“The US continues to have a growing vaccine surplus, yet many Americans abroad are still without access to vaccines and their lives are at risk,“ said the letter, written by Democrats Abroad Thailand chair Paul Risley, Republicans Overseas Asia VP Tony Rodriguez, Veterans of Foreign Wars commander Carl Manchester and American Women’s Club of Thailand president Ambreen Miraly.

With a third wave of coronavirus proving by far the most potent — Thailand has logged a daily average of nearly 3,800 new cases and 34 deaths per day over the past week — concerns have risen over the kingdom’s slow and chaotic vaccine rollout. While more than half the US population has now received at least one dose of the vaccine, that was true for just 3.58% in Thailand by the end of May, according to Oxford University-affiliated ourworldindata.org.

The letter noted that during her talks with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and other senior officials, the senior diplomat is likely to discuss donating surplus coronavirus vaccines in the US to Thailand. “We urge that any agreement include enough donated vaccines to cover all American citizens residing in the Kingdom,” the letter said. “The Chinese government has agreed to a similar arrangement with Thailand for its citizens as part of its vaccine donation program.”

The letter pointed out that unlike almost all other countries, the US required its citizens to pay taxes regardless of where they live. “Overseas Americans should be afforded the same taxpayer-funded vaccines that Americans in the US are receiving now, to fulfill President Biden’s commitment that every American is eligible for a vaccination provided by the US government.”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... mat-visits

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Americans plead for vaccines as top US ....

Post by rick » June 3, 2021, 12:13 am

Most UK expats in Thailand pay UK taxes as well - at least those who came here to retire. It would be nice if the British government donated vaccines for us, but i don't expect it and I will not beg for it.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 3, 2021, 5:55 am

Wonder if they will have a US doctor/nurse in every province in Thailand to administer the vaccination.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 3, 2021, 6:29 am

rick wrote:
June 3, 2021, 12:13 am
Most UK expats in Thailand pay UK taxes as well - at least those who came here to retire. It would be nice if the British government donated vaccines for us, but i don't expect it and I will not beg for it.
Neither will I , sad that Americans seem to begging their Government , but considering the debacle in the USA ,nothing surprises me any more about them at all .

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 3, 2021, 7:28 am

The US sent in their military to give a helping hand during the Wild Boar crisis. They could easily do the same and set up a dispensary at the Bangkok Embassy and the Chiang Mai Consulate.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 3, 2021, 8:22 am

Do you really want to inconvenience some of these individuals on here and make them travel to Chiang Mai or Bangkok for a free shot? Next thing you know they'll want the United States to open up a US hospital in every foreign country where expats are, because they pay taxes. I agree with KP and Rick, because begging is not my cup of tea either.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 3, 2021, 9:32 am

The Biden Administration is tripping over itself to give free stuff away -- except not to its own citizens who have paid for that loser idiot's largesse. He's an embarrassment to Americans everywhere -- vaccinating the world, but not his own constituents. This is why I hate liberals.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » June 3, 2021, 6:15 pm

As an American I agree with Rick it would be nice if the U.S. it for it's people in any country where that country is having problems getting enough for their own people BUT I will not plead or beg for them to do it. Now if the U.S. gives Thailand or any other country that has American expats in its border Vaccines then yes a condition of that should include that all Americans in that country are given the choice of Thai Vaccines brands or the U.S. EU brands. I pretty sure all expats would agree if their country did the same.
Now I never comment on anyone in this forum, my only comments are to help if I see I have information that can help and that's not often but some people on this forum make it sound like all us Americans are begging our Government, of these three Organizations I only know of Veterans of Foreign Wars and I have never heard of the other two and are sure that many others Americans could say the same. So I don't know how many U.S. expats they represent but I'll guess less than 35 to 40% a most.
Ken, sorry to say the U.S. is not going to give Vaccines to just its expats know matter what, that would just be wrong. Your comment "make them travel to Chiang Mai or Bangkok for a free shot? Next thing you know they'll want the United States to open up a US hospital in every foreign country where expats are, because they pay taxes" is just DODO. Now sending 5 to 10 million Vaccines and telling them U'S. expats in your country are required to be offered these vaccines would be OK to me and most Thais most likely would agree I think.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 3, 2021, 6:54 pm

marcsarge wrote:
June 3, 2021, 6:15 pm
As an American I agree with Rick it would be nice if the U.S. it for it's people in any country where that country is having problems getting enough for their own people BUT I will not plead or beg for them to do it. Now if the U.S. gives Thailand or any other country that has American expats in its border Vaccines then yes a condition of that should include that all Americans in that country are given the choice of Thai Vaccines brands or the U.S. EU brands. I pretty sure all expats would agree if their country did the same.
Now I never comment on anyone in this forum, my only comments are to help if I see I have information that can help and that's not often but some people on this forum make it sound like all us Americans are begging our Government, of these three Organizations I only know of Veterans of Foreign Wars and I have never heard of the other two and are sure that many others Americans could say the same. So I don't know how many U.S. expats they represent but I'll guess less than 35 to 40% a most.
Ken, sorry to say the U.S. is not going to give Vaccines to just its expats know matter what, that would just be wrong. Your comment "make them travel to Chiang Mai or Bangkok for a free shot? Next thing you know they'll want the United States to open up a US hospital in every foreign country where expats are, because they pay taxes" is just DODO. Now sending 5 to 10 million Vaccines and telling them U'S. expats in your country are required to be offered these vaccines would be OK to me and most Thais most likely would agree I think.
I agree with you sir, I was being sarcastic with those remarks.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 3, 2021, 7:03 pm

rick wrote:
You've more chance of getting poo from a rocking horse Rick.
Now if you were a Illegal immigrant in UK, The Government would be falling over themselves to give you!

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » June 3, 2021, 7:06 pm

In the United States there is a very large group on the far right that believe it is not the government's responsibility to provide health care for it's citizens. In the United States good healthcare is not a right, so what makes you think that they care about expats?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2021, 9:19 pm

choi choi wrote:
June 3, 2021, 7:03 pm
rick wrote:
Now if you were a Illegal immigrant in UK, The Government would be falling over themselves to give you!
No, no, you've got that all wrong. They get houses first and THEN they get vaccinated. Ask Alex, he knows these things.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 4, 2021, 6:40 am

tamada wrote:
June 3, 2021, 9:19 pm
choi choi wrote:
June 3, 2021, 7:03 pm
rick wrote:
No, no, you've got that all wrong. They get houses first and THEN they get vaccinated. Ask Alex, he knows these things.
Tam
Why would such a broad minded and by inference fairly intelligent chap such as yourself refer to someone who is not even involved in the discussion. Is it because you are bored in quarantine or is there some kind of sinister obsession developing.
PS
Have a good trip.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 4, 2021, 7:53 am

There's more than one way to skin a cat and marc's comments above would be one.
"Now sending 5 to 10 million Vaccines and telling them U'S. expats in your country are required to be offered these vaccines would be OK to me and most Thais most likely would agree I think."
Distributing vaccines to the public in a Cobra Gold type operation would be another.
The idea is to get as many vaccines to as many people as possible in a timely manner.
There is a lot to be gained by offering these vaccines to the world. WHO is supposedly doing this but their results so far are dismal.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 4, 2021, 12:08 pm

COVAX is the multi-partner entity doing the excess and donated vaccine distribution of which the WHO is only a part.

President Joe Biden outlined his plan on Thursday (Jun 3) for the first of 80 million coronavirus vaccine doses that the US will distribute globally, with 75 per cent of shots disbursed via the COVAX program.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... x-14942468

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 4, 2021, 12:23 pm

Given free to everybody in the world -- except Americans living abroad whose taxes helped pay for it -- and many who pay monthly health care premiums to the US government.

He' an absolute idiot. The sooner he's gone, the better.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 4, 2021, 12:40 pm

The Chulalongkorn vaccine is ready for human trials. This is a better vaccine than the Siam Bioscience product. However, Chula does not have the facilities to mass produce. The Chula version has been under development for a year. Unfortunately it has not received much support or attention.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » June 4, 2021, 3:31 pm

mak wrote:
June 4, 2021, 12:40 pm
The Chulalongkorn vaccine is ready for human trials. This is a better vaccine than the Siam Bioscience product. However, Chula does not have the facilities to mass produce. The Chula version has been under development for a year. Unfortunately it has not received much support or attention.
How is it better if it has not received much support or attention?

All I know from the news is Siam Bioscience is the viral vector based AZ vaccine that is being used by millions world wide already and Chulalongkorn is an RNA vaccine still to be tested so no proof it even works yet?

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » June 4, 2021, 3:37 pm

tamada wrote:
June 4, 2021, 12:08 pm
disbursed via the COVAX program.
I thought Thailand didn't join the COVAX program to avoid delivery and uncertainties going forward :D
So it says here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2AE0CZ

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 4, 2021, 3:53 pm

Mjkt wrote:
June 4, 2021, 3:37 pm
tamada wrote:
June 4, 2021, 12:08 pm
disbursed via the COVAX program.
I thought Thailand didn't join the COVAX program to avoid delivery and uncertainties going forward :D
So it says here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2AE0CZ
A lack of budget and a possible protectionist stance towards a locally-produced vaccine product have also been cited as reasons why this government remains lamentably slow. The only thing Covid-related that they are fast to deliver on is blaming someone else for their own sloth, indolence, inefficiency and ignorance.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”