COVID-19 Vaccination – Hypothetical

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

COVID-19 Vaccination – Hypothetical

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2020, 3:51 pm

This is the link to where Thai Government is budgeting to buy the vaccine when it’s released. The limited doses most likely free/30 Baht to Thais.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/303 ... l_referral
Would you, as a Farang, pay a premium for the 2 shots, let’s say 10K Baht each? Or just wait until you can travel “comfortably” to your home country where you will most probably get it for free (Australia, as an example, has placed an order).

Or maybe you may choose not to have the vaccination at all!

Me? I would monitor the process for about 6 months from the start of inoculations just to assess the “complications” rate. I would also be closely monitoring the progress at home assuming they have acquired their vaccine from a different source. So if the i’s are dotted and tee’s crossed 20K looks like a bargain to me.
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on October 5, 2020, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: COVID-19 Vaccination – Hypothetical

Post by Khun Paul » October 5, 2020, 3:56 pm

The whole question of a vaccination is rather pointless, while countries are testing upon arrival anyone found to have the symptoms will be required to quarantine( note here there is NO SELF QUARANTINE ) whether you have a vaccination or not, so a vaccine is just the start and then the countries have to open up completely, until that is achieved, getting a vaccine is pointless

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2020, 4:02 pm

"The whole question of a vaccination is rather pointless"

So your saying that the Polio and other vaccines should NOT have been made available ASAP. What sort of comment is that?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 5, 2020, 4:25 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 5, 2020, 3:51 pm

Would you, as a Farang, pay a premium for the 2 shots, let’s say 10K Baht each? Or just wait until you can travel “comfortably” to your home country where you will most probably get it for free (Australia, as an example, has placed an order).
Why did you settle on 10k per shot, Dero?

Based on the numbers quoted in the article, it is less than TBH50/shot. While I would not be surprised if there was a premium payable by non-citizens, surely the government would be keen to have as wide a coverage as possible - thereby keeping the price reasonable for those paying.

Price vs convenience would certainly pay a large part in my decision.

ps I am still hopeful of getting to Perth in mid-December.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2020, 4:37 pm

It's hypothetical, nothing in concrete but some sites saying it could be up to 30K for Farang, who knows? Just looking for "sensible" comments as to an individuals perspective.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 5, 2020, 7:04 pm

When there was an outbreak of I believe was diphtheria the goverment gave free shots to everyone
Found out after visiting my Doc in Oz I did not need as is normal cvombined with the tetanus shot as well
But as forgetting a covid shot not so keen
Untested unknown results or effectiveness
If like the flu vaccine less than 50% efffective and need to do every year

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 5, 2020, 7:37 pm

noosard wrote:
October 5, 2020, 7:04 pm
When there was an outbreak of I believe was diphtheria the goverment gave free shots to everyone
Found out after visiting my Doc in Oz I did not need as is normal cvombined with the tetanus shot as well
That's why if the FDA approves a vaccine this year, I will not get one because the FDA is being pressured by the White House too hard to approve one. Adequate trials and testing will show any side effects and effectiveness.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 5, 2020, 8:23 pm

noosard wrote:
sure, want to flip a coin, heads I win, tails I might gunna die. Upside of heads is way better then downsides of tails.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 6, 2020, 6:52 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 5, 2020, 4:02 pm
"The whole question of a vaccination is rather pointless"

So your saying that the Polio and other vaccines should NOT have been made available ASAP. What sort of comment is that?
Try using your mental abilities rather than trying to score a point or two. ASLL vaccines are worth it, but as with the Flu jab ( another AIRBORNE VIRUS ) the vaccine is not supposed to protect you 100%, but rather makes the virus ineffective in attacking your system. People with a Flu vaccine still get the Flu but its effects not so serious.
With this Virus you may still feel unwell if you catch it and you are still able to transmit it either way . My point was that while countries check for the virus through the testing scenario, you may well be vaccinated but still show signs of it. Hence my comment UNTIL countries learn to live with it and end the automatic 14 day incarceration at high cost then a vaccine is rather pointless.

Reading is a skill try using it !

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 6, 2020, 8:00 am

Whistler wrote:
October 5, 2020, 8:23 pm
noosard wrote:
sure, want to flip a coin, heads I win, tails I might gunna die. Upside of heads is way better then downsides of tails.
Funny and you go on about the POTUS odds

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 6, 2020, 8:13 am

Odds 1 in 35
If deaths reported and case known are excepted as close
Which they are not WHO is saying case maybe as high as 10 times known
That changes odds to 1 in 350
That is the world odds if you contract the virus
Now here in Thailand with unadjusted figures odds start at 1 in 60 if contracted the virus
Go to the odds of contracting the virus and that is about 1 in 20000
So a hell of a coin toss

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 6, 2020, 8:25 am

And while the hopes for a Covid-19 vaccine are shared by millions, the history of successful coronavirus vaccines is not good. In fact there has never been a workable vaccine for any of the five other coronaviruses. The urgency and clear need for a vaccine for Covid-19 has forced scientists to fast-track their development and testing, and clinical trials are currently underway. But, even if they work they will only be partially successful and many people simply won’t get the vaccine, either through choice, poorly-informed fears or lack of access. So waiting for a vaccine could be a LONG wait… it simply may never happen.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/hard ... -right-now

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 6, 2020, 9:07 am

In reality like the Flu this virus will mutate over a period of time, having NEVER had a Flu jab even in the UK, my inbuilt defences must by now be pretty good. Sure I get bad coughs and sneezes , fell unwell a few times but nothing lays me low except early this year, housebound for a few days but recovered, so eventually most of us normal healthy type people will weather this virus like so many other bugs flying around .

Not saying I am immune, but never really take anything apart from Paracetamol or Tiffy here. To offset colds etc or back pain. I do have another advantage, unlike many I take NO Medication to stay alive apart from a daily dose of RUM, that also must be a plus.

Do not go running to Doctor, unless I have to absolutely go, try to self medicate and self diagnose , they may well come a time when medical intervention is required , like if I chop off my arm etc.

Many many will develop a in built resistance to this virus , now we know what could happen then we can learn to dissipate its actions . Information is the key coupled with common-sense I really do believe that.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 6, 2020, 9:42 am

Studied 3 years for a degree.
Studied 3 more for PhD.
Join lab & start working.
Spend years studying virology.
Form hypothesis, gather evidence.
Test hypothesis, form conclusions.
Report findings, clear peer review.
Findings published, reported in press.

KP on Udon Map “Bullsh!t” :roll:
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 6, 2020, 9:57 am

noosard wrote:
October 6, 2020, 8:00 am
Whistler wrote:
October 5, 2020, 8:23 pm
noosard wrote:
Funny and you go on about the POTUS odds
Fail to see the relevance. What has the betting odds for an election got to do with the efficacy and/or risks of taking a vaccine?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 6, 2020, 10:30 am

Easy to understand the relevance both gambling odds

your quote " sure, want to flip a coin, heads I win, tails I might gunna die. Upside of heads is way better then downsides of tails."

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » October 6, 2020, 12:03 pm

Niggly wrote:
October 6, 2020, 9:42 am
Studied 3 years for a degree.
Studied 3 more for PhD.
Join lab & start working.
Spend years studying virology.
Form hypothesis, gather evidence.
Test hypothesis, form conclusions.
Report findings, clear peer review.
Findings published, reported in press.

KP on Udon Map “Bullsh!t” :roll:
and still know nothing . I do not understand your post. All virus mutate . It is his body so i am sure he knows it better than anyone .People will build a resistance same as any virus.
I am the same except i never take any medicine unless absolutely necessary . I went to the doctor in uk in my forties for an injury , he asked where i had been as last record for me was when i was 10 and had stitches in my leg . I have never gone to the doctors or hospital for being sick until i came to thailand . I went not for treatment but for covid test when i was sick but was refused as they did not want any pos tests in udon . No test no covid doctors response.
Do not need years of learning to know if i am sick or not so your pos perplexing bs

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 6, 2020, 12:04 pm

noosard wrote:
October 6, 2020, 10:30 am
Easy to understand the relevance both gambling odds

your quote " sure, want to flip a coin, heads I win, tails I might gunna die. Upside of heads is way better then downsides of tails."
A bit of a lama connection 5555555555555555

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 6, 2020, 12:08 pm

That Chinese have already vaccinate a large number of their workers going overseas on OBOR projects. They report that none of those vaccinated have gotten infected with COVID. It won't be too many more weeks before the Chinese government announces they've approved one or more of their locally developed vaccines. The Thai government will swiftly approve that vaccine for use in Thailand.. I'll gladly get it, if it means vaccination certificate in hand I can depart the country and get back in without the huge restrictions currently in place. I won't speculate on the price since it isn't here yet. When the Thai government approves one of those Chinese vaccines, the floodgates will open and tens of thousands of Chinese tourists will arrive pretty quickly.
Dave

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 6, 2020, 12:29 pm

Spot on Frazee. If the Chinese vaccine is somewhat effective, it will be a game changer. Not sure I would be the first to ask for a jab, but if all looks good after 30 days I would follow your lead.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”