New Extension after September 26th

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: New Extension after September 26th

Post by tamada » September 16, 2020, 9:00 am

Is this as a straw clutch for the Thai government to bring back the Chinese so they can restart making payments on their condominiums, or is talk of eligibility and in-country conversion a straw clutch for broke foreigners already "stranded" in Thailand?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 16, 2020, 9:03 am

tamada wrote:
September 16, 2020, 9:00 am
Is this as a straw clutch for the Thai government to bring back the Chinese so they can restart making payments on their condominiums, or is talk of eligibility and in-country conversion a straw clutch for broke foreigners already "stranded" in Thailand?
I guess we'll find out when they give a list of eligible countries.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2020, 9:21 am

With the limited information so far, it may fit the bill for some working outside Thailand but domiciled here or the snowbirds with more than one domicile.

Is it a flexible multi-entry or is this 90-day some sort of minimum AND maximum per stay? If it qualifies for a re-entry permit, then one can maybe come and go. However, if the 14-day quarantine also applies to BOTH subsequent 90-day re-entries OR all interim re-entries, then it's not so flexible and very expensive.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 16, 2020, 9:30 am

Considering they strictly want long stay visitors, and I may be wrong, but the way it is worded there would be no re-entry permit needed because they don't want you to leave the country. Stay for 90 days, then can extend it for two more 90-day periods. I would assume if you left after the initial 90 days, you have to start all over again. That's just the way I understand it.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 16, 2020, 10:56 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 16, 2020, 9:30 am
Considering they strictly want long stay visitors, and I may be wrong, but the way it is worded there would be no re-entry permit needed because they don't want you to leave the country. Stay for 90 days, then can extend it for two more 90-day periods. I would assume if you left after the initial 90 days, you have to start all over again. That's just the way I understand it.
I am curious to find out what sort of Medical Insurance they might impose on this length of stay, be it just for the first 90 day period or for the longer 180 or 270 days

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
September 16, 2020, 10:56 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
September 16, 2020, 9:30 am
I am curious to find out what sort of Medical Insurance they might impose on this length of stay, be it just for the first 90 day period or for the longer 180 or 270 days

pipoz4444
They are quite clear on the Medical Insurance requirements .
It is for the duration of your stay.
So if you extend the visa you will have to extend your insurance before the the visa can be extended.
Not a difficult thing to do as you already have the policy.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 16, 2020, 12:27 pm

tamada wrote:
September 16, 2020, 9:21 am
With the limited information so far, it may fit the bill for some working outside Thailand but domiciled here or the snowbirds with more than one domicile.

Is it a flexible multi-entry or is this 90-day some sort of minimum AND maximum per stay? If it qualifies for a re-entry permit, then one can maybe come and go. However, if the 14-day quarantine also applies to BOTH subsequent 90-day re-entries OR all interim re-entries, then it's not so flexible and very expensive.
The information doesn’t seem limited AFIK it is a visa that provides a 90 day permission to stay that can be extended for 90 days twice. Giving 270 days in Thailand.

You can get a re-entry permit for any permission to stay.

Every entry to Thailand requires a 14 day quarantine.

It is clearly not a good choice for people wanting to come and go from Thailand, however that lifestyle is not a good choice for almost anyone at the moment.

The 28 day rotation in and out of Thailand is most likely dead for the next 6 months to 2~3 years
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 17, 2020, 6:47 am

Yes, it's not really viable. Those holding out for any hope of converting to it in-country better not hold their breath.

The way I see it, in lieu of the much expected (wanted) amnesty extension, Thai immigration has announced this special visa. If you want to stay here longer, go home before next weekend, get this new visa and maybe we'll see you again some time next year.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 17, 2020, 7:02 am

tamada wrote:
September 17, 2020, 6:47 am
Yes, it's not really viable. Those holding out for any hope of converting to it in-country better not hold their breath.

The way I see it, in lieu of the much expected (wanted) amnesty extension, Thai immigration has announced this special visa. If you want to stay here longer, go home before next weekend, get this new visa and maybe we'll see you again some time next year.
Or go see a visa agent, and avoid the hassle and much greater expense.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 17, 2020, 7:07 am

Sorry but I cannot cut and paste from my cell phone. Has anyone seen the new tourist visa guidelines when they start opening up for regular tourists again? Thailand tourism is dead.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 17, 2020, 7:33 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 17, 2020, 7:07 am
Sorry but I cannot cut and paste from my cell phone. Has anyone seen the new tourist visa guidelines when they start opening up for regular tourists again? Thailand tourism is dead.
Up to them. I'm sure the Thai government knows what they are doing.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 17, 2020, 7:48 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 17, 2020, 7:07 am
There's a new post in the visa and immigration forum specifically about this new visa. It includes two graphics that state at least twice that some details aren't available at this time. Although it apparently has cabinet approval, it's still a work in progress.

Tourism is dead globally and this is a solution conjured up by Thai Immigration who aren't necessarily the experts on how to restore international tourism here. There's a DPM who in the past few days has suggested that what Thailand needs to do to boost domestic tourism is add a few more long weekend style public holidays in October. I think the locals that still have a job may not appreciate working less money-earning hours just so the masses can slope off to a waterfall or a beach and get mao. These new pick-up trucks loaded with family and friends need diesel (and paying for).

If Thai Immigration, TAT and the cabinet put their heads together, they can make a wooden bridge. Then the locals will have a new attraction to visit.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 17, 2020, 7:59 am

No I understand tourism is dead right now. Their future plan does not even seem feasible. I didn't read that on the website you are referencing, I just read the article earlier today. The Covid test before you leave and provide to the embassy or consulate is going to make it almost impossible to do. And the Covid insurance ain't cheap.

And you are correct, domestic travel holidays does not bring new money into Thailand, so I don't even know how they can think that helps. All it does it takes money away from one place and take it to another place.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 17, 2020, 8:14 am

Has anyone heard of what the future may hold on applying for a 90-day or one year non-immigrant O Visa or OA Visa?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 17, 2020, 8:59 am

^ The future probably more of the present, ie requirements broadly unchanged from what's currently needed to qualify + PCR test + fit-to-fly cert + SQ/ASQ on arrival.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 17, 2020, 9:05 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 17, 2020, 7:59 am
... I didn't read that on the website you are referencing...
I didn't reference another website. I referenced a specific thread related to this new tourist visa that @jackspratt started in the visa and immigration sub forum on UM.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52157&p=591418#p591418

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 17, 2020, 9:15 am

Another impediment to the success of the new STV was revealed after the Tourism Authority of Thailand deputy governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool said that the tourists would have to travel on chartered flights from overseas directly to their destinations in Thailand. The cost and infrequent nature of these flights would add a further barrier to the success of the visa.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/to ... er-flights

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 17, 2020, 9:27 am

To me it looks as if they are trying to attract the top few percent (wealth or income) as they are likely to be spending boat loads, and able to afford a 9 month stay in a country that is (as far as we can tell) one of the safest of the popular destinations.

It doesn’t look targeted at the majority of people who would like to come to visit.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 17, 2020, 1:29 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 17, 2020, 9:27 am

It doesn’t look targeted at the majority of people who would like to come to visit.
And also those who would like to visit to come. :oops:

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 2, 2020, 5:37 am

Latest on extension based on marriage ,In Udon Immigration ,went in yesterday to finally get my stamp after consideration period being over ,(went last week but they turned me away as to busy ) my due date has always been 26th August , the stamp due date in the passport now reads 26th of Sept 2021, I queeried this as was caught out once before ,were they put the wrong date in ,then three years later wanted money to change it back to the original date ,even though it was their mistake , the answer i got (and suspected ) was it was due to the visa amnesty , i pointed out that the extension was technically not a visa , i know people who have done an extension based on marriage over the past few months and this has not been the case , so the time span for this occurrence can only possibly be over the last couple of months ,

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”