9 New Covid-19 Patients, All Returnees

Udon Map
Admin

9 New Covid-19 Patients, All Returnees

Post by Udon Map » May 27, 2020, 3:52 pm

From The Bangkok Post

Returnees.jpg
People in need because of the Covid-19 lockdown receive help from the Thai Red Cross Society at Wat Pathum Wanaram in Bangkok on Wednesday. (Photo: Somchai Poomlard)

The government on Wednesday reported nine new coronavirus disease patients, all returnees staying in state quarantine facilities.

Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Wednesday morning the new cases included six male students, aged 23-33, who returned from Saudi Arabia through the Padang Besar border checkpoint in Sadao district of Songkhla on Sunday.

The students boarded a repatriation flight operated by Malaysia and landed in Kuala Lumpur before entering the southern province on a bus, Dr Taweesilp said.

Three of them were quarantined in Songkhla and the other three in their home provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat. They tested positive for the virus on Monday. Four of them had a fever, cough and lung phlegm. The others had no symptoms.

Their return through Padang Besar would require the temporary closure of the border checkpoint for sanitisation, Dr Taweesilp said.

Two other new patients are Thai men aged 18 and 27 who returned from the United States on May 12. They were quarantined in Chon Buri province. They had no symptoms but tested positive on Tuesday.

"These two cases had been quarantined since May 12 and been asymptomatic. They were found with the infection only on their final confirmation test on the day they were to be released from state quarantine," Dr Taweesilp said.

"This prompts us to think that 14-day quarantine may not be enough for some people. However, we have not extended the quarantine period from 14 days yet."

The other new patient is a Thai masseur, 34, who returned from Qatar last Friday and was quarantined in Samut Prakan province. He had a fever and lost his sense of smell. He tested positive for the disease on Monday.

"This is another case of an infected masseur. Service providers with physical contact must be aware that they are at risk," Dr Taweesilp said.

The nine new cases raised the total to 3,054 of which 2,931, or 96%, had recovered, with two patients released over the previous 24 hours. Sixty-six patients were at hospitals. The death toll remained unchanged at 57.

There were no new local infections, Dr Taweesilp said.

Courtesy of The Bangkok Post
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -returnees

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: 9 New Covid-19 Patients, All Returnees

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 27, 2020, 3:56 pm

So the 14 day quarantine period for C19 may not be long enough .. hope this is taken on board with all these returnees arriving.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 27, 2020, 5:51 pm

and maybe they caught it on the plane , stuck in
an aluminum tube with dozens of infected people
and a recirculating AC system. despite it being

primarily a farang disease :-s and this is why symptoms didn't show until after held in quarantine. how many farangs on the plane :-k

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 28, 2020, 10:40 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 27, 2020, 5:51 pm

primarily a farang disease :-s and this is why symptoms didn't show until after held in quarantine. how many farangs on the plane :-k
Excuse me how can you honestly say it is primarily a 'farang diease ' it emanated from China, not in any country where the white skinned person is prevalent, however you must therefore be subscribing to the Man-child ( Potus ) theory, throw around enough lies and stupidity some of it will stick

However it is great to see NO NEW IN-HOUSE cases, all returnees and already in the system as it were.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 28, 2020, 11:05 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 28, 2020, 10:40 am
mech_401 wrote:
May 27, 2020, 5:51 pm

Excuse me how can you honestly say it is primarily a 'farang diease ' it emanated from China, not in any country where the white skinned person is prevalent, however you must therefore be subscribing to the Man-child ( Potus ) theory, throw around enough lies and stupidity some of it will stick

However it is great to see NO NEW IN-HOUSE cases, all returnees and already in the system as it were.
KP ,, what colour are Chinese people ?? Dao seems a beautiful shade of white to me.

Im not sure but i think the word farang used in general Thai language relates to a person that is non Thai , not specifically a certain colour though the term is broken down further as in the use of the SLANG word Kheg which is a term for Arab/Arabic ...........the term Farang always seems to be used in relation to white Europeans , Americans , Aussie , Russians etc etc purely as those nationalities make up the majority of expats residing here... but also i believe others are also termed farang include Africans , South Americans , Japanese , Korean and Chinese etc

Im not sure if Indian n Pakistani are refered to as farang here or another Slang term ???

Always been a huge debate on the term FARANG , with some arguments its derogatory and others it is not.

Back more on topic .. these people need to be brought back to their families and so long as any that have symtoms and C19 infection are quarantined and tested and controlled then thats fine .. theres bound to be a huge risk of infection on a plane

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 28, 2020, 11:40 am

I was told many years ago , the term Farang or Falang was attributed to White Westerners including those form Australia, New Zealand and the North American Continent . Therefore anyone else was called something else . Unless the definition has been changed secretly .

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 28, 2020, 11:44 am

I believe the term was originally a poor pronunciation for Frenchman, since then it has broadened to cover all Europeans
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 28, 2020, 12:09 pm

"ฝรั่ง" Farang:
non-Asian foreigner, [usually] Caucasian

" This word is believed to have originated as a transliteration of the French pronunciation of the French word "Français." The French were the first group of Westerners to be known amongst the Siamese. ฝรั่ง is now used to refer to any foreign object adopted into Thai culture.

The loanword may have migrated into Thailand and the Thai language by way of 17th century Persian and Indian trade routes—there is a similar Persian loanword which is used to refer to non-Muslims.

This colloquialism is used to refer to a Caucasian or Westerner. The formal word that Thai people use for a foreigner is คนต่างชาติ. Thai people would consider any Caucasian to be foreigners but they would by no means consider all foreigners to be Caucasians. Asians such as Chinese or Japanese—visiting and living in Thailand are technically foreigners but they would not be referred to as "ฝรั่ง."

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131256

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 28, 2020, 12:18 pm

Is there an equivalent Thai term used in reference to , ive only ever heard kheg /Arab

Indians, Pakistanis
Afro Caribbean
others ??

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 12, 2020, 4:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
May 28, 2020, 11:40 am
I was told many years ago , the term Farang or Falang was attributed to White Westerners including those form Australia, New Zealand and the North American Continent . Therefore anyone else was called something else . Unless the definition has been changed secretly .
Wife told me that Mama said Farang means pink ones
because they all look pink due to sunburn or drink too much alcohol
Blacks are Khun Dum or negros

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”