A little ray of sunshine from Australia

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by pipoz4444 » April 11, 2021, 10:01 pm

Hi Barney

I remember 1986 well, as I was in Melbourne that year and it was a turbulent time with the BLF

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 14, 2021, 12:57 am

Partly Australian, but worth a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SFDa05v7Y

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 14, 2021, 6:52 am

pipoz4444 wrote:Hi Barney

I remember 1986 well, as I was in Melbourne that year and it was a turbulent time with the BLF

pipoz4444
During the Bob Hawks days.
They were running rampant where ever they had a footprint.
I remember them coming into our union meeting with over 500 of our members present asking for help in an amalgamation plan. They were booed off stage and told to take a long hike. Being reminded that it was their members who attacked our members through a picket line on the construction of the new Parliament House. They quickly gave up on asking our further support.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 14, 2021, 1:24 pm

ON THIS DAY – 14th April

1858 – Francis Thomas Gregory began an exploration in the Murchison-Gascoyne-Lyons region of Western Australia.

1860 – George Robertson, co-founder of Australia's largest bookseller, Angus and Robertson, was born.

1870 – Gold was discovered by shepherd Tom Saunders near the present-day town of Gulgong, sparking a major goldrush.

1879 – The first use of a parachute in Australia occured when Henri L 'Estrange's balloon ruptures above Melbourne's Agricultural Showgrounds.

1885 – Orbost, Victoria was proclaimed a town.

1999 – A massive hailstorm hit Sydney, with most of the damage being centred on the Eastern Suburbs. It was the second most costliest natural disaster in Australian history, causing $1.7 billion in insured damages.

Pictured:
George Robertson in London, 1900 (SLNSW) – Bottom
Small gold minehead without shelter and seven miners, Gulgong, 1870-1875, Top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 15, 2021, 8:07 am

ON THIS DAY – 15th April
1788 – Phillip individual exploring northwards to Manly, sights the Blue Mountains.

1823 – Allan Cunningham departed Bathurst to find an easier overland stock route to the Liverpool Plains.

1873 – Colonel Warburton set out to cross the continent from central Australia to Perth.

1903 – Electric trams began operating in Bendigo.

1944 – Fred Paterson was elected to the Parliament of Queensland, representing the seat of Bowen. He remains the only member of the Communist Party of Australia to ever be elected to an Australian Parliament.

1958 – Monash University was founded in Melbourne, Victoria.

Pictured:
Allan Cunningham (1791–1839), English botanist and explorer. (History Services Australia) – Top
Portrait of Peter Egerton Warburton 1874. (SLSA) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 15, 2021, 4:10 pm

Good to see the Aussie dollar sneak over the 24 bht mark.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 15, 2021, 4:40 pm

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 16, 2021, 6:08 am

ON THIS DAY – 16th April

1865 – Birth of General Sir Henry George Chauvel, GCMG, KCB, more usually known as Sir Harry Chauvel, a senior officer of the Australian Imperial Force who fought at Gallipoli and during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign in the Middle Eastern theatre of the First World War. He was the first Australian to attain the rank of lieutenant general and later general, and the first to lead a corps. As commander of the Desert Mounted Corps, he was responsible for one of the most decisive victories and fastest pursuits in military history.

1868 – A railway linking the Queensland town of Dalby to Ipswich was completed.

1920 – The South Australian city of Hummock's Hill was proclaimed Whyalla.

1981 – The New South Wales Government's controversial election funding Bill was introduced into Parliament, provoking strong Opposition criticism. The Bill imposed stringent declaration conditions with political donations of more than $200, requiring a statement giving the name and address of donors.

1982 – Archbishop John Grindrod was appointed as Anglican Primate of Australia, succeeding Sir Marcus Loane.

Pictured:
Lieutenant General Sir Harry Chauvel 1919 portrait by James Peter Quinn (Wiki) – Top
Distant view of Lady Galway, wife of the Governor of South Australia, attending a function at Hummock Hill, near Whyalla, South Australia; schoolchildren and adults are gathered together to listen to proceedings; purpose not known. c. 1920. (SLSA) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 16, 2021, 3:24 pm

Just watched a little Gem of an Australian movie. Based on a true story.
Good look at part of the history of how the aboriginals were treated.
If you can catch it
Called “Rabbit Proof fence”

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 17, 2021, 4:46 am

ON THIS DAY – 17th April

1790 – In order to replenish the supplies lost with the Sirius, Phillip sent the colony's only remaining ship (HMS Supply) to Batavia.

1835 – Richard Cunningham, brother to Allan Cunningham, whilst exploring with Major Mitchell, wandered off from where the party had camped in order to collect botanical specimens, becoming lost in the bush. Mitchell spent nearly a fortnight searching for him until deciding to finally continue with the expedition. After mounted police searched for Cunningham, it was discovered that Aborigines had tended to the botanist who, suffering from exposure at the time, had become delirious. Thinking he was possessed by evil spirits, the Aborigines killed him.

1840 – John Ridley, the English-born inventor and agriculturalist, arrived in South Australia.

1861 – On the Burke and Wills expedition, Charles Gray died of dysentery near Lake Massacre, South Australia, on the return journey from the Gulf of Carpentaria.

1866 – The Tariff Bill passed through the Parliament of Victoria; Australia's first protective tariffs became law the following day.

1935 – Qantas operated Australia’s first international passenger flight from Brisbane to Singapore, carrying two paying customers on a de Havilland DH86 aircraft.

1991 – The bulk carrier MV Mineral Diamond disappeared of the coast of Western Australia. The vessel is believed to have been sunk during adverse conditions caused by Cyclone Fifi.

1997 – The Charter of Budget Honesty Act became law, setting a framework for sound fiscal management and informing the public about public finances.

2011 – "Thor", directed by Kenneth Branagh, starring Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, premiered in Sydney, Australia

Pictured:
Richard Cunningham. Detail from a lithograph by Robert Martin & Co. (26 Long Acre, London), derived from a portrait by Daniel Macnee. Taken from an album of drawings and engravings collected by Phillip Parker individual, now held at the State Library of New South Wales (Australian National Herbarium) – Bottom Left
Charles Gray (SLV) – Bottom Right
On April 17, 1935 Qantas operated Australia’s first international passenger flight from Brisbane to Singapore, carrying two paying customers on a de Havilland DH86 aircraft (World Airline News) – Top

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 17, 2021, 9:49 am

F*** you, we’ll vote Pauline Hanson’: Workers desert Labor over party’s obsession with ‘woke ideals’
Working-class Aussies are abandoning the ALP in droves over the party’s obsession with “woke” issues like gender, race and climate change.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 17, 2021, 10:34 am

noosard wrote:
April 17, 2021, 9:49 am
F*** you, we’ll vote Pauline Hanson’: Workers desert Labor over party’s obsession with ‘woke ideals’
Working-class Aussies are abandoning the ALP in droves over the party’s obsession with “woke” issues like gender, race and climate change.
The ALP were good once, not anymore. Who would vote for this current lot of lefties in the ALP, albeit there are some standouts who are good, but only a few. I am waiting for Joel Fitzgibbon to jump to the other side along with Tanya Plebeseck.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 17, 2021, 10:42 am

noosard wrote:
Both major parties are losing a lot of members. Mostly because of abuses of position within the party. Pauline is not the answer. I would love to see some good independents get up
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 17, 2021, 10:02 pm

I saw an erstwhile liberal leader Andrew Peacock passed away. Not my brand of politics, but the guy did have some style.

As a side note, some of those who were not kind to the man insisted on calling him 'Droopy' as an abbreviation for Drew, given his surname, he was not that fond of the nic.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 17, 2021, 10:17 pm

noosard wrote:
FMD - a poll taken among a narrow band of NSW workers from a single union suddenly becomes the death knell of the ALP nationally. :D

Recent elections in Victoria, Queensland and (particularly) WA would seem to indicate something totally different. =D>

Concerning Andrew Peacock - he was a true "small l" liberal far too closely aligned with the thoughts of Menzies. He was therefore destined to die on the developing altar of the hard right represented by Howard, and the bastards who have followed him.

Joel Fitzgibbon would feel very much at home with the likes of Morrison, Dutton and the corrupt Laming - so the sooner he jumps the better.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 17, 2021, 10:29 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 17, 2021, 10:17 pm
noosard wrote:
FMD - a poll taken among a narrow band of NSW workers from a single union suddenly becomes the death knell of the ALP nationally. :D

Recent elections in Victoria, Queensland and (particularly) WA would seem to indicate something totally different. =D>

Concerning Andrew Peacock - he was a true "small l" liberal far too closely aligned with the thoughts of Menzies. He was therefore destined to die on the developing altar of the hard right represented by Howard, and the bastards who have followed him.
Pretty much with you Jack

The CFMEU is the real cancer in NSW. Idiots, thugs etc. I had one of their senior officials foaming at the mouth at me on the night of the last election blaming me for the loss of the division of Robertson as I resigned two weeks earlier to back an Independent candidate. They hold so much sway they think they own the Labor party.

Vale the NSW Right wing thugs. Vale Dastyari, Clements, Murnain and Shorten too. Hopefully they may have a stay at a free bed and breakfast OHMP

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 18, 2021, 3:47 am

Times they are a changin.
My dads first job was not long after the first photo. Work on a horse and dray in Sydney delivering ice.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 18, 2021, 6:08 am

ON THIS DAY – 18th April
1831 – Australia's oldest newspaper ‘The Sydney Morning Herald’ was first published.
1839 – Thomas Henry Kendall, publishing as Henry Kendall, was born. Kendall was an Australian author and bush poet, who was particularly known for his poems and tales set in a natural environment setting.
1876 – Catalpa rescue – A rescue team sent from New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA by John Devoy, rescued six escaped Fenian prisoners from Fremantle, Western Australia.
1889 – Jessie Street, the feminist and human-rights campaigner, was born in Chota Nagpur, India.
2008 – Painter Edgar Dell, known for his watercolours of wildflowers in Western Australia, died at the age of 106.

Pictured:
Front page of the Sydney Herald 18 April 1831 (Trove) – Top
Henry Kendall c. 1880s (Wiki) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 18, 2021, 7:13 am

Sport wrote:
noosard wrote:
The ALP were good once, not anymore. Who would vote for this current lot of lefties in the ALP, albeit there are some standouts who are good, but only a few. I am waiting for Joel Fitzgibbon to jump to the other side along with Tanya Plebeseck.
Sport would have to agree with your first sentence. Noosard not to far from the mark.

Will be interesting election as a test next month with the upper hunter valley bi election.
If the campaign can take away the smell of the member who caused this, it might be a litmus test of things to come.
Labor have thrown in a curly one, nominating coal industry a union official, I assume to trying for deflection away from their climate change green leaning policies which would impact the region.
One nation have also nominated an ex coal worker who will be pushing the positivity of coal industry and real employment issues. Nationals will need to overcome their internal issues.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 18, 2021, 11:54 am

Got to say since Whizzy quit the NSW labor party things started looking up for them
As they did get more votes last election

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”