A little ray of sunshine from Australia

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 1:12 pm

Hi Sport

My understanding is that the Australian Government still fund the ABC to the tune of some $.....Million, which is a Sh..t Load and which tells me one thing, "As an Organization/Company the ABC is not commercially viable". :drunk:

In this day and age, I would through the ABC to the wolves and tell it to find commercial sponsors and revenue or shut its doors. ](*,) :guitar:

There was a time when the ABC Documentaries were unique, needed and well presented. But those times have long gone, with the advent of the Internet and the coming of other documentary sources, such as Filmmakers, PBS Frontline, YouTube , with historical information on, Timeline, Pathe and many others. ;)

Yes it might be sad to see Landline disappear, but pay me $878 Million per Year and I will produce a Landline Programme. I will simply employ the Leyland Brothers, do a better job, for hell of a lot less.

My view is, and I am sure a lot will disagree with me, is to cut the ABC loose and if it cant stand on its two feet Financially, after all this time, let it float away and sink. :pirate: :pirate:

I would spend that $878 million each year (if that is what it is ) on something a lot more beneficial to the Australian public. I am sure their is a much more worthy cause in Australia at present. :-k :-k

People now have a lot of other source options for Documentary or Historical entertainment and Government propped up outlet like ABC and BBC are a dying breed and unnecessary in todays world, not to mention the Content is better form elsewhere. Just my 2 cents worth.

Extract: The government argues base or departmental funding is higher in 2020-21 than it was in 2013-14. The relevant budget papers do show that in 2013-14, the ABC was allocated $865 million for “general operational activities”. The most recent budget statement shows this has increased to $878 million in 2020-21.

https://theconversation.com/latest-84-m ... 02020%2D21.

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 1:22 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 7, 2021, 12:48 pm
It seems that the ABC, Australia's most trusted source of news, inflames the confirmation bias of a couple of Antipodean conservatives. :D

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/06/abc-sb ... -news.html
No Jack, nice try, to throw people into groups because of their Views or Opinions, as a slur - "a couple of Antipodean conservatives" (Sport and myself). One could argue that this is a form of R S on your part.

Whether I am an "Antipodean conservative" remains to be seen, by Others, who know me and know what I value in life. But, what I do know, is that I was born in Australia and I I grew up in Australia for over 40 years and I understand and know what those Australian values were. Can you say the same? [-X

The issue is about more wasting money on a Organization (the ABC) that is not financially viable and one that no longer provides the Content that most people wish to see. Just check the current Ratings of any ABC Programme

If you feel so strongly about the ABC's funding, then put you hand in your own pocket as donate you hard earned cash to them. Sorry, I forgot you no longer live in Australia, but seem to happy to see the Australian government waste its money from afar. \:D/

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on May 7, 2021, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 1:39 pm

I guess it gets back to philosophy and - obviously in the case of you and Sport - politics.

I am more than happy to have a government funded media outlet which is highly trusted by the population at large. As I am also still paying tax in Oz, I am also more than happy to know I am doing my bit to fund Australia's most trusted news organisation.

Plus I get the benefit of being able to read news and watch other trusted ABC productions online, and watch the footy, ad-free, on Australia+ - starting with Richmond and Geelong in a few hours.

I'm not sure what an "S R" is, so I can't argue one way or the other. However, I am pretty sure I didn't throw you anywhere.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 2:57 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 7, 2021, 1:39 pm
I guess it gets back to philosophy and - obviously in the case of you and Sport - politics.

I am more than happy to have a government funded media outlet which is highly trusted by the population at large. As I am also still paying tax in Oz, I am also more than happy to know I am doing my bit to fund Australia's most trusted news organisation.

Plus I get the benefit of being able to read news and watch other trusted ABC productions online, and watch the footy, ad-free, on Australia+ - starting with Richmond and Geelong in a few hours.

I'm not sure what an "S R" is, so I can't argue one way or the other. However, I am pretty sure I didn't throw you anywhere.
No Jack

It is not Philosophy, which I understand is "The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline or The study or creation of theories about basic things such as the nature of existence, knowledge, and thought, or about how people should live.

I can say for sure that I do not "Study anything or any one, nor do I spend too much time creating theories". I may occasionally slip and express a hypothetical view. ](*,) :drunk:

If however you mean, my "Philosophical belief", and in answer to your question, well yes,
1.I genuinely and passionately believe in some things, but don't well all :-k
2.I do have particularly strong views on certain subject matters, buy not many
3.I do express those beliefs and views from time to time, on this Forum, but try not to force them down the throats of Others here
4.I try not to denigrate Others as individual, who might dare to express their views on this Forum :guitar:
5.I try not to cast disparaging remarks about that someone's individual character, simply because the may hold a different religious or political persuasion, to mine, as I have seen done often on this Forum. :-k [-X
6.I believe that individuals have the right to make their own decisions in life and live life the way they want and that they do not have to conform to the political persuasion of Others, just because it may be a majority way of thinking at the time.
7.My view is that Majority thinking does not necessarily make it, Correct. One thing that I have learnt in life [-X
8.I strongly believe that All people should be held accountable for their actions
9. I believe in the "Rule of Law" even if the Law may appear to wrong. If wrong then change the Law, but either way abide by it until such time. When in Thailand obey that Law, or leave.
10.I do admit that I occasionally slip up and so I am prepare to apologize when I do. :wave:

These may not all be considered as "Philosophical beliefs" and no they are not the 10 Commandments, but are something to think about.

Oh and yes, I am sitting here drinking a bottle of Boschendal Shiraz 2015. Absolutely great \:D/ \:D/

With regards to your suggestion of "Politics", I can also assure you that my comments on the ABC Q + A have no Political overtones, as I neither support Far Left or Far Right, if that is what you are inferring. In fact I would describe myself as Apoliticism. Sorry Jack but you got tis one wrong. \:D/ \:D/

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on May 7, 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 3:01 pm

Nice straw man, pippo. 👍

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 3:03 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 7, 2021, 3:01 pm
Nice straw man, pippo. 👍
Cheers \:D/

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 7, 2021, 3:15 pm

Hi Sport,
I concur with your views of the extreme political direction that the ABC has taken over the years. Their sphere of influence has wained in regional centres with the advances made in commercial televion stations being available to the regional areas.
A really good non political ABC tv show ‘Backroads’ hosted by Heather Ewert is a delightful look at rural and regional life around our great country. Heather is the spouse of Barry Cassidy the former host of insiders. To Barry Cassidy’s credit, he always included a well articulated conservative columnist to provide balance to this political show.
The former host of Q & A, Tony Jones was being paid $800,000 per annum prior to departure to act as the conductor of the contrived snowflake attack on any guest who had an alternative view of carefully selected panel. Jones’s incidious determination to mock and ridicule an opinion that did not suit the panel says more about him than the invited guest.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2021, 3:37 pm

Good, pithy and for the greater part well-reasoned debate on the perceived change in ABC's programming that despite successfully managing to avoid completely tarring the BBC with the same brush, hadn't quite managed to touch on the inalienable fact that things change faster than some older people do (or like). Increasing irrelevancy is hard to bear especially when one has paid all those taxes.

And then someone threw in the word "snowflake" and the moment was lost.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 3:55 pm

For anyone doubting the importance and influence in the bush of the ABC as the national broadcaster:
Australians say ABC saved lives during summer bushfires, royal commission told

Research shows 60% of people in affected areas relied on information from national broadcaster to stay safe
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... ssion-told

And yet (from the above article):
Last month Guardian Australia revealed the ABC has lost $783m in funding since the Coalition government came to power in 2014.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 7, 2021, 5:02 pm

ON THIS DAY –7th May

1815 – Following the completion of the first road over the Blue Mountains, Governor Macquarie named Bathurst.

1824 – The Supreme Court of Tasmania, the first of all the State Supreme Courts, was established by Letters Patent.

1908 – Australia's first coat of arms was granted Royal Assent by individual Edward VII.

1931 – Joseph Lyons formed the United Australia Party, through the amalgamation of ALP defectors, Nationalists and anti-Labor citizens' groups.

1977 – Hawthorn set two VFL records when they kicked 41 behinds and have a total of 66 scoring shots against St Kilda. These totals remain six ahead of the second-most behinds and scoring shots.

1981 – Three engineering companies made agreements for shorter working weeks with metal trade union representatives in Sydney, giving a major boost to the ongoing campaign for a 35-hour week.

Pictured:
Bathurst, by George French Angas, 1851 (NLA) – Top
Australian Prime Minister Joseph Lyons (NLA) – Bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 7, 2021, 5:47 pm

The ABC is a valuable public asset, left leaning, I think so, but a it of a balance IMHO.

Commercial TV does not produce too many decent current affair programs, 60 minutes was OK 20-30 years ago, now it is rubbish, A current affair is tabloid stuff and the amount of reality TV on the commercial channels is designed to appeal to the lowest of the low. The Weakest Link, being a prime example of absolute rubbish.

Commercial radio is just as bad when you think of the shock jocks and all of the awful things they have dished up over the years. Sports commentators switch between calling the play and promoting their TV programs, even news on 7, 9 and 10 intersperse actual news with pop culture and stories about their own TV shows. It's commercial rubbish. Then you have pay per view from outfits like Fox which is very biased, so the only left of centre viewpoint comes from the ABC and nowhere else. You kill the ABC and you kill that entire coverage of left of centre. The ABC is not Marxist or extreme, some of the stuff they push gets slammed in the mainstream media so they are kept on their toes.

As pointed out here, it is also very good at keeping the population informed. As for balance, it exposed the Labor party's stupidity in accepting Chinese donations as well as many other issues with the Greens and Labor. It was never a mouthpiece for the Progressive side of politics, nor should it be. It is however, very good at exposing political chicanery, and great we have a body that does so.

If you kill off the ABC, we will lose a balance. No commercial station will produce quality programs like 4 corners, all we will get is more tosh.

As for Tony's snowflake comments, give it up, it was tiresome ages ago and only gets more and more so.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 7:00 pm

Loving the footy on at the moment on My ABC.

Geelong sticking it up the arrogant Richmond - but a quarter to go.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 7:04 pm

The 1990's were the years, when people told their Politicians what they thought of them and how the Tax Revenue money, should be spend, D> =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7DnQjjcY

pipoz4444

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 7, 2021, 7:39 pm

Jackspratt enjoy the win, although, if the cats do not salute this year, there is misery around the corner, 16 of Geelong’s list are 30 plus in age in a game that is becoming quicker by the season

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 7:55 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:04 pm
The 1990's were the years, when people told their Politicians what they thought of them and how the Tax Revenue money, should be spend, D> =D>
Frank Costigan's Royal Commission obviously didn't agree with your rosy view of the Goanna/Squirrel. 8)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 7:59 pm

trekkertony wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:39 pm
Jackspratt enjoy the win, although, if the cats do not salute this year, there is misery around the corner, 16 of Geelong’s list are 30 plus in age in a game that is becoming quicker by the season
Agree, plenty of the season left, tt.

Hopefully both the Cats and Tigers will suffer from multiple non-serious, though long term injuries. Thereby allowing more deserving teams eg the Eagles, to sneak up and claim yet another pennant.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 7, 2021, 8:38 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:55 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:04 pm
Frank Costigan's Royal Commission obviously didn't agree with your rosy view of the Goanna/Squirrel. 8)
Costigan was a nobody and yes I consider Packer a somebody.

Costigan's Report in early 1980's was a farce. Anybody, can issue a report, making accusations, suppositions and repeating hearsay, without presenting actual evidence or proof. Where is the proof Jack, [-X [-X as I don't recall Packer every being being charged for Tax Evasion or anything.

Costigan could say whatever he wanted to, under the protection of his Report, because in doing so he wasn't subject to libel laws or being sued for damages. But he never repeated it outside of that Report, did he ??

No charges were laid against Packer after Costigan's Report and in 1987 the then Australia's Attorney-General Lionel Bowen (Deputy Prime Minister ) of the Labor Party (Jack), formally dismissed the allegations against Packer. Where is the proof Jack?? \:D/ \:D/

Malcolm Turnbull was Packers counsel, (I believe), so why not also accuse him of something. Smearing people must come easy Jack, when you have TPS.

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 7, 2021, 8:56 pm

trekkertony wrote:
May 7, 2021, 7:39 pm
Of the top average age of players by club, the spread is under 1 year!

1 St Kilda 25.4
2 Geelong Cats 25.3
3 West Coast Eagles 25.0
4 Richmond 24.8
5 Western Bulldogs 24.7
6 Melbourne 24.6
7 Hawthorn 24.6
8 GWS Giants 24.5
a huge so what. Adelaide crows and Gold Coast have the youngest average age and they are running last and equal last in the comp of 18 teams
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2021, 11:16 pm

Frank Costigan, QC - appointed as a Royal Commissioner by the Fraser conservative government, to investigate the Painters and Dockers, but ended up exposing tax evasion and organised crime, including the bottom of the harbour rorts by all those crooked and shonky Liberal spivs that you seem to approve of.

Some "nobody". :D

pipoz who?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 7, 2021, 11:45 pm

161 years ago today my 2nd gt grand aunt gave birth to her first daughter Mary Ann Frances Abigail. They left for Aus in 1865 and that part of the family have been there ever since.
Mary Ann Frances Abigail.jpg
Mary Ann Frances Abigail.jpg (2.92 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”