A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » May 22, 2021, 8:08 pm

ON THIS DAY –22nd May

1840 – New South Wales ceased to be a convict colony as the Order-in-Council ending transportation of convicts was issued.

1851 – The official announcement was made of the discovery of gold in New South Wales, Australia.

1856 – First Parliament of New South Wales opened by the governor, Sir William Denison.

1901 – The foundation stone for St John's Cathedral, Brisbane was laid by The Duke of Cornwall and York (later George V). The church celebrated 100 years of construction in 2006 and is the only gothic-style stone building under construction anywhere in the world.

1942 – American soldier Eddie Leonski was arrested and charged for the "Brownout Murders" of three women.

Pictured:
Chain Gang Convicts Going to Work near Sidney (sic) N.S.Wales (Britiwiki) – Top Right
Photograph of William Denison, taken in 1863 (NLA) - Left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 23, 2021, 7:38 am

ON THIS DAY –23rd May

1837 – Streets and squares in Adelaide, capital of South Australia, were first named.

1889 – Louisa Lawson founded the Dawn Club, which became the hub of the women's suffrage movement in Sydney.

1892 – Frederick Deeming hanged at Melbourne Gaol having been unsuccessfully defended by the lawyer Alfred Deakin. Deeming was accused of committing a series of crimes on three continents – theft, perjury, fraud, bigamy and murder; he used at least 20 aliases.

1912 – Walter Burley Griffin's design for Canberra was selected as the winner.

1960 – A Tsunami caused by an earthquake in Chile hits Australia causing damage along parts of the New South Wales coast with impacts felt as far north as Cairns and as far south as Hobart.

Pictured:
View of proposed site of Adelaide 1837 (SLSA) - Top
Louisa Lawson (Wiki) – Bottom Right
19th-century illustration comparing Deeming and 'Jack the Viper' of Whitechapel (SLV) – Bottom Left

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 24, 2021, 7:23 am

Well it appears the trend continues and people have spoken again and rejected the Labor party green leaning policy and gone for what people want, that being jobs and security. Nationals have retained the Upper Hunter seat in NSW. Labor are now down with the minority groups.
One ABC commentator even said labor lost the election. You can’t lose something you never had.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 24, 2021, 3:24 pm

Barney wrote:
May 24, 2021, 7:23 am
Well it appears the trend continues and people have spoken again and rejected the Labor party green leaning policy and gone for what people want, that being jobs and security. Nationals have retained the Upper Hunter seat in NSW. Labor are now down with the minority groups.
One ABC commentator even said labor lost the election. You can’t lose something you never had.

There will be a few Babies on the Forum \:D/ [-X crying over ...........

Crying Over Spilt Milks.jpg
Most sensible people these days, tend to value their jobs and be it their job security and also their personal security, over out of place, ideologies and a green thumb [-( :-k :-k in the current circumstances.

Green Thumb.jpg
pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 24, 2021, 4:10 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 24, 2021, 3:24 pm
Barney wrote:

Yes Barney, a great win over the green labor party.

Most sensible people these days, tend to value their jobs and be it their job security and also their personal security, over out of place, ideologies and a green thumb [-( :-k :-k in the current circumstances
Green Thumb.jpg
pipoz4444
Crying lol, yep and asking themselves 'What went wrong'. It could be something to do with the greenies, lefties and labor. The New Englanders want job security.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 24, 2021, 4:57 pm

Sport wrote:
May 24, 2021, 4:10 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
Barney wrote:

Yes Barney, a great win over the green labor party.

Most sensible people these days, tend to value their jobs and be it their job security and also their personal security, over out of place, ideologies and a green thumb [-( :-k :-k in the current circumstances
Green Thumb.jpg
pipoz4444
Crying lol, yep and asking themselves 'What went wrong'. It could be something to do with the greenies, lefties and labor. The New Englanders want job security.
Labor has not held that seat for more than 90 years. Labor is not going to win any seats in coal producing electorates due to it's stand on fossil fuels. Not sure about the New England reference, the seat is in the Hunter region, not New England.

Progressive parties do better in urban areas, so I wouldn't put that much store into this result as an indication Nationally. The other factor is Jodi, nice enough person but not leadership material. She only got the gig when the now disgraced NSW state secretary, Kaila Murnain put Jodi up for it, Kaila hated Chris Minns who was a thorn in the side of the NSW Right. Minns or Scully will battle it out for the leaders role this week, neither man is a Wran or a Carr, so lacklustre will prevail.

There are no stars in NSW Labor, so I expect them to remain in the wilderness for a few years yet.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 24, 2021, 6:24 pm

ON THIS DAY –24th May

1805 – William Bligh was appointed the fourth Governor of New South Wales; he arrived at Port Jackson to replace individual on 6 August 1806.

1809 – Lachlan Macquarie received his commission as next governor of New South Wales, including instructions to reinstate Bligh temporarily on his arrival.

1815 – George Evans sighted Lachlan River, Australia.

1838 – David Jones opened its first store on the corner of George and Barrack Streets in Sydney.

1841 – Gas lighting used for the first time in Sydney.

1847 – German explorer Ludwig Leichhardt was awarded the Patron's Medal by the Royal Geographical Society, London in recognition of 'the increased knowledge of the great continent of Australia' gained by his Moreton Bay-Port Essington journey.

1861 – National Gallery of Victoria was founded.

1870 – Port Adelaide Football Club played their first match.

1875 – J. V. Mulligan and party came upon the Barron River in Queensland, they left Cooktown on 17 April.

1905 – Empire Day was first celebrated in Australia.

1917 – Australian boxer Les Darcy died in the United States.

1969 – Keith Payne became the last Australian soldier awarded a Victoria Cross for bravery during the Vietnam War on this date. On 24 February 1969, Keith Payne was appointed to the Australian Army Training Team in Vietnam. On 24 May 1969, he was commanding the 212th Company of the 1st Mobile Strike Force Battalion when it was attacked by a strong North Vietnamese force. His company was isolated and, surrounded on three sides, Payne's Vietnamese troops began to fall back. Payne, by now wounded in the hands and arms and under heavy fire, covered the withdrawal before organising his troops into a defensive perimeter. He then spent three hours scouring the scene of the day’s fight for isolated and wounded soldiers, all the while evading enemy troops, who kept up harassing fire. He found some 40 wounded men, brought some in himself and organised for the rescue of the others, leading the party back to base through enemy-dominated terrain. Years later, asked whether he was afraid, Payne replied, "My God yes, yes, I was.” Payne’s actions that night earned him the Victoria Cross.

1980 – Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip arrived in Australia.

1980 – The Australian Olympic Federation announced it will send an Olympic delegation to Moscow, despite objections raised by the Prime Minister. The tight 6–5 ballot, announced by Federation President, Syd Grange at Melbourne's Sheraton Hotel, ended speculation about Australia's role following America's boycott of the games. Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser was critical of the decision, expressing hope that the Australian participation would not be interpreted as an endorsement of Soviet policy.

1998 – Prime Minister John Howard opened the new Central Synagogue in Sydney to replace the former synagogue which burnt down in 1994.

Pictured:
The original David Jones building, established in 1838, on the corner of George and Barrack streets, where the present George street store now stands. (Archive News Ltd [The Daily Telegraph]) – Bottom
Les Darcy (Maitland Mercury) – Top Left
Warrant Officer Class 2 Keith Payne (AWM) – Top Right

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 25, 2021, 9:00 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
Barney wrote:

Most sensible people these days, tend to value their jobs and be it their job security and also their personal security, over out of place, ideologies and a green thumb [-( :-k :-k in the current circumstances.

Green Thumb.jpg

pipoz4444
These posts are simply taking a cheap shot at Progressives because they did not win an election that they were never going to win. No milk spilt, just amused by the uninformed views of Climate Change deniers.

My good mate Della explains with more detail.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/lab ... 57uop.html
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 26, 2021, 11:56 am

A litany of lies and falsehoods from Scotty from Marketing.

https://www.crikey.com.au/dossier-of-li ... alsehoods/

Of course, neither Scotty nor the Tousled Blond Tossser come even close the the Bloated Orange Bullshyter.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 26, 2021, 3:47 pm

ON THIS DAY –26th May

1790 – James Clow, Presbyterian minister, was born. Clow was the first white settler in the area which now consists of the outer-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.

1806 – John Ridley, English miller, inventor, landowner, investor, farming machinery manufacturer, farmer and preacher who lived in Australia between 1839 and 1853, was born. Ridley is best known for the development, manufacture and invention of "Ridley's Stripper", a machine that removed the heads of grain, with the threshing being done later by a separate machine.

1909 – The Protectionist Party and the Free Trade Party merged to form the Fusion Party, led by Alfred Deakin.

1962 – Southern Cross Television opened in Launceston, Tasmania as TNT-9

1968 – Australian's Margaret Court and Kerry Melville won the 1968 Federation Cup in women's tennis, defeating the Netherlands (3–0).

1980 – The High Court of Australia building in Canberra was opened by Queen Elizabeth II. Prince Philip was also in attendance.

Pictured:
John Ridley (SLSA) – Top
Kerry Melville Reid (Pinterest) – Bottom Right
Margaret Court (Nationaal Archief Fotocollectie Anefo) – Bottom Left

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 27, 2021, 7:31 am

I see Vic going to have their 4th lockdown

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 27, 2021, 8:44 am

noosard wrote:
May 27, 2021, 7:31 am
I see Vic going to have their 4th lockdown
It's the Indian variant.

WA has already instigated a hard border with Vic.

Aussie's f*cked (still).

Actually, their 7-day "circuit breaker" is the first time against this new superspreader so the results will be viewed with interest by Bojo and other wannabe clusterf*ckers.

I reckon once it's identified, the numbers take off around two to three weeks later. Malaysia had the added social inconvenience of Ramadan during their incubation period. I think they set a new daily record a couple of days back with 7000+ infections reported? Talking with acquaintances in KL, the broad public opinion is that numbers are being under-reported and the government's a clown circus, just like here.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 27, 2021, 9:04 am

Aussie's f*cked (still)
But at least we can see some proactive and quick reactions. The useless Czar :^o with his crony, Anutin :confused: , should take some notes.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 27, 2021, 9:24 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 27, 2021, 9:04 am
Aussie's f*cked (still)
But at least we can see some proactive and quick reactions. The useless Czar :^o with his crony, Anutin :confused: , should take some notes.
True, but it's all politicized in the end. Be it Bojo and Wanksock being spit-roasted at a committee meeting yesterday by Cummings, or Von der Leyen using vaccines for EU v UK handbagging, the Ever Trumpers in 'murica blaming the Bidenistas and BLM or Labour versus the right in the great sunburnt downunder, nobody's really pulling together. They're all just pulling.

Since there's absolutely NO credible opposition in this blighted realm, they can get away with murder.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 27, 2021, 10:01 am

The Aussies are doing a good job
Hit hard, fix, allow people to live their lives in a week or so

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 27, 2021, 11:08 am

:wave: :wave:

Can you picture what it will be \:D/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXqPNlng6uI

JM.jpg
pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 27, 2021, 6:14 pm

ON THIS DAY –27th May

1801 – The French cartographic expedition of Nicolas Baudin sighted Cape Leeuwin.

1815 – Australian politician and the 'Father of Federation', Sir Henry Parkes, was born.

1897 – In 1896 the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia was asked to organise an expedition, financed by Calvert, (later known as the Calvert Scientific Exploring Expedition). The expedition's leader was surveyor Lawrence Wells, and accompanying him was surveyor Charles Wells, his cousin, an Adelaide mineralogist by the name of George Jones, a cook and a camel driver. In October 1896, the party camped at a small permanent waterhole south-east of Lake George, which they named Separation Well. Here, on 11 October 1896, Lawrence Wells made the fateful decision to split the party into two groups. Charles Wells and Jones set off on a bearing of 290 degrees to survey lands for 144 kilometres north-west, before turning north-north-east to rejoin the main party at Joanna Spring, located and mapped by explorer Warburton in 1873. When Lawrence Wells's party reached Joanna Spring on 29 October, there was no sign of the other party. Unable to even locate the spring, the leader made for the Fitzroy River, where he raised the alarm regarding the missing explorers via the Fitzroy Crossing Telegraph Station. On 27 May 1897, the bodies of Wells and Jones were recovered by the search party, perfectly preserved by the intense heat, just 22km from Joanna Spring. The mummified bodies were sewn in sheets and taken to Derby, where they were shipped to Adelaide and given a State funeral on 18 July 1897.

1965 – First Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, left Sydney in the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney for active duty in Vietnam.

Pictured:
Sir Henry Parkes; Courtesy: Eminent citizens [of] New South Wales, 1850-1900, published 1910 – Bottom Right
Calvert Scientific Exploring Expedition (SBS) – Top
1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, embarking on the HMAS Sydney. (Pinterest) – Bottom Left

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 29, 2021, 1:33 pm

I know it is not related to Australia, but, JFK was born on 29 May 1917.

Somethings and some people are worth remembering.

And so was Bob Hope in 1903 \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 29, 2021, 5:04 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 29, 2021, 1:33 pm
I know it is not related to Australia, but, JFK was born on 29 May 1917.

Somethings and some people are worth remembering.

And so was Bob Hope in 1903 \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
Bob Hope certainly had a connection with Australia, he came to entertain the troops. Returning South on a trip from Queensland, his sea plane (I think it was a Catalina) had engine problems so it landed on Lake Cathie at Laurenton near Pt Macquarie, on the mid NSW coast. He stayed in the town for some days until the problem was fixed and put on a show for the locals while he was there, seems he really liked this beautiful spot on the NSW coast.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 29, 2021, 7:22 pm

ON THIS DAY –29th May

1861 – George Goyder, responsible for the controversial "Goyder Line", became Surveyor-General of South Australia.

1880 – The Great Hall of Melbourne's Royal Exhibition Building was opened to the public for the first time.

1956 – Frank Beaurepaire, swimming world record holder, businessman, and former Lord Mayor of Melbourne, died aged 65.

1965 – Captain Cook Bridge, Sydney, opened.

1967 – Australian Paul McManus water-skied barefoot for 1:30:19

1967 – The new Australian 5-dollar note went into circulation.

1975 – The Family Court of Australia was established.

2003 – A hijack attempt on Qantas Flight 1737 between Melbourne and Launceston was thwarted by a flight attendant and passengers.

Pictured:
George Woodroffe Goyder in 1869 (SLSA) – Top Left
Drawing of the Royal Exhibition Building with all its annexes in 1888 (Urban Melbourne) – Bottom
Swimmer Frank Beaurepaire won medals at the 1908 London, 1920 Antwerp, and 1924 Paris Olympics. He went on to become a member of the Victorian Legislative Council and serve as Lord Mayor of Melbourne, as well as starting multi-million dollar tyre business, Beaurepaires and Olympic Tyres. (SLNSW) – Top Right

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”