A little ray of sunshine from Australia

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by pipoz4444 » March 5, 2021, 7:57 pm

For those of you that feel homesick, "Brisbane"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUrMShh-KM

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 7, 2021, 8:34 am

Great video....familiar with most places there.

Couldn't help but notice the complete disregard for the 1.5metre social distancing laws.
Signs everywhere but no one give a fug.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 7, 2021, 12:55 pm

bluejets wrote:
March 7, 2021, 8:34 am
Great video....familiar with most places there.

Couldn't help but notice the complete disregard for the 1.5metre social distancing laws.
Signs everywhere but no one give a fug.
Correct and not many masks in view either

Many years ago, in the late 80's years ago, I lived at Mount Ommaney, Brisbane and then in mid 90's down on Runaway Island on the Golf Coast, but haven't been back to Queensland for a long time, so I gather it has changed a lot.

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 9, 2021, 11:17 am

ON THIS DAY – 9th March

1787 – In Portsmouth, England, Lieutenant Ralph Clark began the first of his diaries covering the voyage of the First Fleet and the early years of British settlement.

1837 – The settlement of Melbourne was named. (Note: The "township" was surveyed and named as Melbourne on 3 March 1837.)

1857 – South Australia held its first elections, but an unusually large number of informal votes were submitted.

1870 – Granny Smith, who gave her name to the Granny Smith apple, died.

1909 – Electric trams began operation in Adelaide.

1977 – Queen Elizabeth II arrived in Brisbane.

1979 – The Arbitration Commission awarded Australian women the right to six weeks' compulsory unpaid maternity leave with the option of extending the leave to one year. The provisions, which will flow to all awards covering women in the private sector, took effect on 2 April.

1985 – The National Gallery of Australia purchased the painting L'Après-midi à Naples (An Afternoon in Naples) by Paul Cézanne for A$1 million.

1990 – Bushfires burned in the Adelaide Hills.

2000 – Colonial Stadium, Melbourne's Docklands Stadium, was officially opened, replacing Waverley Park as Victoria's second-largest stadium and headquarters of the Australian Football League.

Pictured:
Boyle Travers Finniss (18 August 1807 – 24 December 1893) the first Premier of South Australia, serving from 24 October 1856 to 20 August 1857 (IPFS) – Bottom Right
"Granny" Smith (1799–1870) (Wikimedia) – Bottom Left
Horse tram and electric tram, North Terrace, Adelaide, 1909 (SLSA) – Top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 9, 2021, 12:56 pm

I believe the photo of North Terrace was taken only 3 or 4 years ago.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 9, 2021, 8:08 pm

jackspratt wrote:I believe the photo of North Terrace was taken only 3 or 4 years ago.
And lock down stay at home day.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 9, 2021, 9:11 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 5, 2021, 7:57 pm
For those of you that feel homesick, "Brisbane"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUrMShh-KM

pipoz4444
Feeling homesick for Brisbane is like feeling homesick for an all boys Jesuit hostel for children under 11 in the '50s. Only growing up in Scunthorpe would be worse, marginally.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 10, 2021, 11:32 am

Wow was that a poor drunken attempt at having a crack at Queenslanders, that’s usually reserved for true NSW people.
Do you have some experience with the Jesuit kiddy fiddlers or what, maybe you research these things.
Or maybe it’s a throwback to your immigrant days living in La Perouse. If you know what I mean.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 10, 2021, 4:10 pm

ON THIS DAY – 10th March

1788 – French explorer Jean-Francois La Perouse was observed departing Botany Bay, never to be seen again.

1794 – The Reverend Samuel Marsden, who became known colloquially as the 'Flogging Parson', arrived in the New South Wales penal colony.

1874 – Ernest Giles was the first European to explore and later name (12 March) the Petermann Ranges.

1877 – Cloncurry was established.

1908 – Australians Douglas Mawson and Edgeworth David accompanied by Ernest Shackleton and others were the first people to scale Mount Erebus in Antarctica.

1918 – The 1918 Innisfail cyclone made landfall.

1931 – The first Apex Club was formed in Geelong, Victoria.

1946 – An Australian National Airways DC-3 aircraft crashed near Hobart, killing 25 people.

1949 – A Lockheed Model 18 Lodestar crashed near Coolangatta, Queensland, killing all 21 onboard.

1959 – The Australian population officially reached 10 million.

1965 – The first draw of the birthday lottery to determine those eligible for National Service training.

1996 – The first Australian Grand Prix to be held at the Albert Park Grand Prix circuit took place. Damon Hill, of the Williams team, wins.

Pictured:
Jean-Francois La Perouse (Wikimedia) – Top Left
Portrait of Samuel Marsden, 1764 - 1838 (Frontispiece of "Life and Work of Samuel Marsden" by John Buxton Marsden, ed. James Drummond) – Top Right
Mail coaches leaving Cloncurry, Queensland, ca. 1907 (QueenslandPictures) – Bottom

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 10, 2021, 5:18 pm

Barney wrote:
March 10, 2021, 11:32 am
Wow was that a poor drunken attempt at having a crack at Queenslanders, that’s usually reserved for true NSW people.
Do you have some experience with the Jesuit kiddy fiddlers or what, maybe you research these things.
Or maybe it’s a throwback to your immigrant days living in La Perouse. If you know what I mean.

There are some still upset that NSW was flattened by a Queensland State of Origin “B Team” and or that within their (NSW) 8.16 Million inhabitants, they do not have one Wayne Bennett.

The rumor is (my rumor) that for 2021 State of Origin, Queensland will just field the Mount Isa under 15’s Rugby League Team, coached by Shane Watson, as that should be more than enough, to deal with those Mexican's. \:D/

Mount Isa under 15's Rugby League Team.jpg

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 8:27 am

Drunk at 11:32 in the morning, I don't think so. My experience of living on the Gold Coast was fine, traveling around Queensland all good. Brisbane for a few years (I left in 2013) was interesting in so many way. Incredibly parochial. If you live in Sydney or Melbourne etc, people don't immediately bag you out because you are not from their city, nor do they feel a need to explain why their city is better yada, yada, yada.

One of the best illustrations was on the channel 9 news one night 'The National Australia Bank's computer systems crashed today making ATM's and Internet banking impossible, thousands of Queenslanders were disadvantaged'

Duh!
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 11, 2021, 11:51 am

Try living in Adelaide or Hobart or Canberra for that matter and you will know what "Parochial" is.

Queenslanders are much more laid back and less Churchi than Adelaidean's, Hamartian's and Canberran's

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 1:38 pm

Pip, spent a lot of time in all these places, worked in Canberra for more than a year, not sure any of these have as fierce parochialism as I experienced in Brisbane. Queenslanders overall are a different kettle of fish, many provincial Queenslanders don't like Brisbane people very much either. Just don't tell my boss, our office is in Indooroopilly 55

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 11, 2021, 3:16 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 11, 2021, 1:38 pm
Pip, spent a lot of time in all these places, worked in Canberra for more than a year, not sure any of these have as fierce parochialism as I experienced in Brisbane. Queenslanders overall are a different kettle of fish, many provincial Queenslanders don't like Brisbane people very much either. Just don't tell my boss, our office is in Indooroopilly 55
Our Office was in Bulimba \:D/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 3:52 pm

Barney wrote:

No idea what being an immigrant in Lapa had to do with kiddie fiddling, so no, I have no idea of what you mean. Perhaps you can explain the connection.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 11, 2021, 4:06 pm

Whistler wrote:
Barney wrote:

No idea what being an immigrant in Lapa had to do with kiddie fiddling, so no, I have no idea of what you mean. Perhaps you can explain the connection.
Your the one who bought up the remark about Jesuits and boys homes. Thought you may know something.
You lived and love your time out the south Sydney region near bare island so should look who laperous was educated by.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 4:55 pm

Barney,

I think you may have lost it. laperous? Sounds like a disease of the flesh or some guy polishing a rock.

My knowledge of kiddy fiddling came from the long running Royal Commission into child abuse where the star billing amongst a plethora of churches went to the Catholic Church, their star players amongst a galaxy of contenders were the Jesuits. Now the link between Bare Island and kiddy fiddling is way beyond my ken.

The fort was built to keep the Russians out of Botany Bay from a feared invasion in the 1880's. In my younger days it was a home for elderly Boar War veterans, dressed similarly to London's Chelsea pensioners but with a blue coat not a red one. The kindly old men were never accused of paedophilia as far as I know.

My reference to Jesuits and Brisbane came from the biography of a runaway kid who went to Brisbane.

Monday - bored out of my mind
Tuesday - Brisbane man told me the Story Bridge was better than the Sydney Harbour bridge
Wednesday - Brisbane lady told me the Brisbane river is more beautiful than Sydney Harbour
Thursday - Was told today that Brisbane people are more refined and better educated than everybody else in Australia combined
Friday - bored to death again. I am going back the Jesuit Boys home, its lesser pain in the ar$e than being in Brisbane.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 11, 2021, 5:29 pm

I thought these were pretty clever, whoever created them, but can only find them for a few Countries =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFnG2EQs_Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Cu3VGdq3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgsgSEHvaQ0

pipoz4444

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2021, 6:54 pm

^ Kinda explains why there's so much rubbish pizza and kung pao chicken all over the world.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 12, 2021, 12:38 am

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been much discussion on the Map about this bloke:

The bloke from marketing seems to struggle to deal with this kind of issue.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”