A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » September 4, 2022, 1:13 am

We have one national flag that’s it.
It is our national flag day.
Did you see the single not plural term.

You always bring up the fact about being an inducted aboriginal and seem to think there is something special and unique about you having mates who are aboriginal. No one cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 4, 2022, 6:18 am

Oh so sorry Barney, I was not aware that I am not allowed a view on the subject. Ta for the lecture.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ve-designs
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 4, 2022, 9:21 am

Whistler wrote:
September 3, 2022, 11:00 pm
I have not googled this but I think it was early 1950's before we adopted our flag. I think we are all Australians including my aboriginal mates. I would not have a problem if we added an Aboriginal element to the flag as they are an important part of our history.
Has been posted before when discussing which flag copied another
The kiwi flag was first followed by the Aussie flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Australia
Its original design (with a six-pointed Commonwealth Star) was chosen in 1901 from entries in a competition held following Federation, and was first flown in Melbourne on 3 September 1901, the date proclaimed in 1996 as Australian National Flag Day. A slightly different design was approved by individual Edward VII in 1903. The current seven-pointed Commonwealth Star version was introduced by a proclamation dated 8 December 1908. The dimensions were formally gazetted in 1934, and in 1954 the flag became recognised by, and legally defined in, the Flags Act 1953 as the Australian National Flag.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 4, 2022, 9:43 am

For those not aware, the middle flag is the Australian Aboriginal Flag, and the one on the right (which I had to look up) is the Torres Strait Islander Flag.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 4, 2022, 10:08 am

Hmmmm. I became an Australian citizen 24th May, 1951. Two years before the flag was officially adopted. Perhaps, I am entitled to a view.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 4, 2022, 4:05 pm

Whistler wrote:
September 4, 2022, 10:08 am
Hmmmm. I became an Australian citizen 24th May, 1951. Two years before the flag was officially adopted. Perhaps, I am entitled to a view.
Flag was not adopted
Just pollies doing pollie crap to the already decided flag of the last 50 odd years

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 4, 2022, 4:12 pm

noosard wrote:
September 4, 2022, 4:05 pm
Whistler wrote:
September 4, 2022, 10:08 am
Flag was not adopted
Just pollies doing pollie crap to the already decided flag of the last 50 odd years
So the Flag Act of 1953 did not actually happen

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 4, 2022, 4:15 pm

Like I said pollies doing pollie stuff
The current flag was and is the Australian flag since 1908

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 4, 2022, 4:35 pm

In fact no Noosard. As an example, a type of white ensign was flown by Australian ships during WW2. Once the current flag was officially adopted in 1953, it is exclusively flown on all Australian ships at the bow. I suspect there were other cases too.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 5, 2022, 6:43 am

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 5, 2022, 6:46 am

My father was in the navy during WW11 so I was told and know about some of the different flags a country flies

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2022, 7:32 am

With a few exceptions, navy penants or ensigns are not necessarily the same as their home country's national flags as flown or presented onshore. That's a trait you Bruces inherited from the Pomgolians. You can Google the tortured creation of the Union Jack or the Union Flag as they fought to differentiate between what went on ships and what got flown at home. They even had variations to indicate if the skipper was onboard or down the Dog & Duck sucking sherbets.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 5, 2022, 7:35 am

noosard wrote:
September 5, 2022, 6:46 am
My father was in the navy during WW11 so I was told and know about some of the different flags a country flies
NZ navy? Not much room for flag poles on either ship in the fleet.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 5, 2022, 11:12 am

So whistle tells what flag was flown for Australia between 1908 and 1952
I'll give you a hint the same as flown now

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 5, 2022, 2:14 pm

I've been waiting patiently for one of our ex-Navy types to come on board and confirm whether ships have "flag poles". :-k

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 5, 2022, 3:03 pm

The yardarm of a ship is the metal or wooden "arm" which crosses the mast. Ropes are strung from the outer ends of the yardarms to hold the signal flags. Signal flags, or decorative flags, are flown from the yardarms. Other flags indicating country and fleet are found at the top or the mast. For holidays and parades, signal flags can be strung from the waterline at the front of the boat over the masthead and down to the waterline at the back of the boat. When used for communication, they need to be placed in an easily visible spot, flown off the mast from the yardarms.

https://classroom.synonym.com/what-flag ... 83077.html

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 5, 2022, 11:00 pm

Correct noosard

Australian Flag first flown in 1901

https://www.pmc.gov.au/government/austr ... ional-flag

Picture of the Australian Flag over Breaker Morant's grave, taken in South Africa, February 1902.

Australian Flag over Breaker Morants Grave in South Africa, February 1902..JPG
Australian Flag 1.JPG
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 24, 2022, 4:17 pm

Price said the sporting organisation needed to “grow a spine” and stand up against the “selfish” athletes in a lengthy Facebook post.
“You make your bed, you lie in it. Unless you’ve got a cool few million in your back pocket to support your sporting code, your woke sense of self importance should be your private opinion and your private opinion only,” she wrote.
“Sporting codes, corporates and society in general need to grow a spine and stop pandering to self righteous individuals on the basis saying ‘No’ to their selfish demands just might attract accusations of racism or bigotry.
“Wake up Australia! Stop acting like brainless sheeple and get on with the job, whatever job that may be. Stop creating a rod for your backs and the backs of others especially our children. Stop empowering bullies and demonstrate what it means to be a real person. Clearly self flagellation isn’t working.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 24, 2022, 4:46 pm

It appears the ‘woke’ netballers whilst claiming the high moral ground in refusing to wear uniforms that promote Hancock Prospecting are willing to drop their knickers from the Australian Gaming Industry in an attempt to offset the loss of the $15,000.000 in sponsorship from Hancock Prospecting.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 24, 2022, 5:25 pm

trekkertony wrote:
October 24, 2022, 4:46 pm
It appears the ‘woke’ netballers whilst claiming the high moral ground in refusing to wear uniforms that promote Hancock Prospecting are willing to drop their knickers from the Australian Gaming Industry in an attempt to offset the loss of the $15,000.000 in sponsorship from Hancock Prospecting.
I 100% agree about sucking up to the gambling industry is a horrible look, but why not say it the way it is without the lame 'woke' reference?

The real issue, sporting administrators are all too often 2nd rate athletes who get into power and exercise autocratic control. They should share policy with their own elite sports people instead of playing 'Big Boss'.

The Manly NRL 'Rainbow' fiasco and this screw up could have been avoided if the administrator's were more open with their stars.

The problem IMHO is an administrators screw up. Stop forcing athletes to endorse bodies they personally disagree with, then you avoid these destructive issues

I was appreciative of the support I got from my own Managing Director some years ago when I refused to sell software to British Tobacco. Netball Australia could take a leaf out of his attitude.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”