A little ray of sunshine from Australia

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by pipoz4444 » April 22, 2021, 11:28 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 22, 2021, 9:08 am
Looks rather a primitive airport .... wheres the duty free lounge ???
If you want "Primative", just wait until you see the people in Hobart/Tasmania, and I think this is their female \:D/ \:D/

Tasmanian.jpg
Tasmanian.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 1134 times

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 23, 2021, 4:41 am

ON THIS DAY – 23rd April

1788 – Governor Phillip explored the area now known as Parramatta, west of Sydney, and established a settlement.

1792 – The French d'Entrecasteaux expedition, consisting of frigates Recherche and Espérance, landed at Recherche Bay, Tasmania to rewater and rest.

1838 – The arrival of the first German vinedressers in Australia. The barque Kinnear arrived at Sydney carrying six German vinedresser families who were one of the first group of foreign immigrants brought to Australia under the newly formed Bounty Scheme. They were Caspar Flick, Georg Gerhard, Johann Justus, Friedrich Seckold, Johann Stein, and Johann Wenz. They brought with them the first Riesling grape cuttings to Australia and worked in the vineyards belonging to John Macarthur's son William Macarthur at Camden Park. Major Edward Macarthur recruited these six families from the Rheingau region of Hesse in October 1837.

1873 – William Gosse departed Alice Springs on an expedition, during which he becomes the first European to sight Ayers Rock.

1874 – Alf Gibson, companion to explorer Ernest Giles, disappeared in the desert, resulting in the naming of the Gibson Desert.

Pictured:
The French frigates Recherche and Espérance sent in search of Jean François de la Pérouse, painted by François Joseph Frédéric Roux [1805-1870] (L'Empire des Mers, Martine Acerra & Jean Meyer Marines editor) – Top
William Gosse (Wiki) – Bottom Left
The Last Ever Seen of Gibson; Australia Twice Traversed, by Ernest Giles– Bottom Right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 23, 2021, 8:46 am

Cheap flights across the Tasman from $185 with Jetstar Coolangatta to Christchurch
Shoot across for skiing

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 23, 2021, 11:46 am

noosard wrote:Cheap flights across the Tasman from $185 with Jetstar Coolangatta to Christchurch
Shoot across for skiing
That’s very cheap. How much to come back?

My Son was thinking about going skiing with his mates flying out of Sydney, Qantas nearly double.
He won’t be swooshing down any slopes this year.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 23, 2021, 11:58 am

Sorry not looked Barney at prices just saw an add for jetstar

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 23, 2021, 3:16 pm

Anzac Day is here again
Lest We Forget.

Anzac Nurses.
Arrival of the first detachment of nurses on Lemnos Island, Gallipoli Campaign. 1915 Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
"The nurses were forced to treat their patients out in the open, as wounded men lay on the ground begging for water. Tents and other supplies did not arrive for three weeks."

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 24, 2021, 2:02 am

From the a Australian Embassy

[ภาษาไทยด้านล่าง] Image Hellfire Pass (Konyu cutting) and the memorial will be opened on #AnzacDay on this coming Sunday 25th April 2021, from 9.00 – 16.00 hrs as usual to enable the public to pay their respects.

Due to the COVID-19 situation, no official ceremonies or services will be conducted, unfortunately, the centre building will also remained closed. However, members of the public are most welcome to lay wreaths or flowers throughout the day, no advance booking are required. We kindly request all visitors to follow COVID-19 standard safety measures while visiting the complex.

Lest We Forget

------------------------------------

Image เส้นทางเดินเท้าและอนุสรณ์สถานช่องเขาขาดจะเปิดให้สาธารณชนเข้าเยี่ยมชมได้ในวันอนุสรณ์ทหารผ่านศึกออสเตรเลีย-นิวซีแลนด์ (วันแอนแซค) หรือตรงกับวันอาทิตย์ที่ 25 เมษายน 2564 ระหว่างเวลา 9.00-16.00 น. เพื่อให้บุคคลทั่วไปได้เข้าไปแสดงความเคารพถึงเหล่าทหารผู้วายชนม์

เนื่องจากสถานการณ์การระบาดของโรคโควิด19 ในปีนี้ศูนย์ประวัติศาสตร์ช่องเขาขาดจะไม่มีการจัดพิธีรำลึกวันแอนแซค และอาคารศูนย์ฯ จะยังคงปิดทำการ ทว่าบุคคลทั่วไปยังสามารถเดินทางมาวางพวงหรีดและดอกไม้เพื่อเป็นการรำลึกได้ตลอดทั้งวัน โดยที่ไม่ต้องลงทะเบียนจองล่วงหน้า ทางศูนย์ประวัติศาตร์ช่องเขาขาดขอความร่วมมือให้ทุกท่านปฏิบัติตัวตามมาตรการทางสาธารณสุขในขณะที่เยือนศูนย์

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 24, 2021, 7:47 am

ON THIS DAY – 24th April

1804 – St David's Park, the first cemetery in the penal colony of Van Diemen's Land, was established.

1839 – Braidwood, New South Wales, was proclaimed a town.

1846 – Explorer Sir Thomas Mitchell, the Surveyor-General of New South Wales, named the Maranoa River, in present-day Queensland.

1871 – The Australian Natives’ Association formed. Non-partisan and non-sectarian, the ANA was established as a friendly society for Australian-born men. The Premier of Victoria, James Service said in 1887: "The Australian Natives’ Association will succeed in bringing about Federation where the politicians have failed." By 1910 it had developed into a nationwide association with real political and social influence.

1899 – The 1,280-ton barque Loch Sloy hit rocks off Kangaroo Island and sinks, killing 31 persons.

1912 – The NSW government granted 43 acres (17 ha) of land for the construction of a zoological garden, later known as Taronga Park.

1964 – Melbourne woman, Judy Hanrahan, became the first female teller appointed by the Bank of NSW since World War II.

1999 – Painter Arthur Boyd, a member of the Antipodeans artists' group, died in Melbourne, Victoria, at the age of 78.

Pictured:
St David's Cemetery by John Skinner Prout (TAHO Commons @ Flickr) – Bottom Right
James Service, Premier of Victoria, Australia, Mar 1880 - Aug 1880 Mar 1883 - Feb 1886 (Wiki) – Bottom Left
Taronga Park Zoological Gardens official opening of new zoo, 1916. (NSW State Archives & Records) – Top

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 24, 2021, 8:10 am

A patriotic Australian First World War song.

https://youtu.be/ETD_rQqDKhc

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 24, 2021, 9:54 am

All were hero’s, some just a little more than others.

https://youtu.be/BJjJeRWFHuE

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 24, 2021, 1:14 pm

Barney wrote:
April 24, 2021, 9:54 am
All were hero’s, some just a little more than others.

https://youtu.be/BJjJeRWFHuE

Unfortunately Barney, that is something that the current generation and even some older persons, choose to ignore and often look down upon.

I recently watched a documentary on the Vietnam War, which said that some who severed, may not necessary have agreed with the Politics at the time, but that they severed because they saw it as their duty for their Country and for their fellow man. Regardless of views, they served and served well.

It disgusts me when anyone slags off at any Veteran, that served, for any reason, particularly when it comes from those who didn’t serve. :-k [-(

The younger Generations and also some on this Forum, would do well to remember that they only live in a less than ideal or less than perfect world, only because of the efforts of those who have served before them and still serve today, in the armed forces. :-k

It is very easy for these "Critics" to debate a Soldiers actions, during his time serving, when they are sitting in their TV chair drinking a glass of Sparkling Wine or Rose and when they have never come close to the experience of that Soldier.

“Lest we Forget”

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 24, 2021, 1:28 pm

[/quote]

Unfortunately Barney, that is something that the current generation and even some older persons, choose to ignore and often look down upon.

I recently watched a documentary on the Vietnam War, which said that some who severed, may not necessary have agreed with the Politics at the time, but that they severed because they saw it as their duty for their Country and for their fellow man. Regardless of views, they served and served well.

It disgusts me when anyone slags off at any Veteran, that served, for any reason, particularly when it comes from those who didn’t serve. :-k [-(

The younger Generations and also some on this Forum, would do well to remember that they only live in a less than ideal or less than perfect world, only because of the efforts of those who have served before them and still serve today, in the armed forces. :-k

It is very easy for these "Critics" to debate a Soldiers actions, during his time serving, when they are sitting in their TV chair drinking a glass of Sparkling Wine or Rose and when they have never come close to the experience of that Soldier.

“Lest we Forget”

pipoz4444
[/quote]

Well said pipoz. I agree completely with your's and Barney's comment's. Those men and women should be treated with the utmost respect. And some of us who are ageing who are physically and mentally okay, should also be prepared to take up the cause if the need arises.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 24, 2021, 2:04 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
April 24, 2021, 1:14 pm

Does that include the Nashos - seems they didn't have much choice about whether or not they "severed"?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 24, 2021, 3:02 pm

The middle ages saw an individual lead his troops into battle. If that was still the case now, there would be fewer wars. Vietnam was a damned stupid war, most of us knew it at the time, certainly by the time we withdrew. My mates that served, came back damaged, a disgrace on the politicians of the day.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 24, 2021, 4:19 pm

Some will always complain about certain wars and individual incidents or actions but our ANZAC day is not one of those days.
Lest We Forget.

http://www.centaurnursesfund.org.au/the ... news-1943/

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 24, 2021, 4:23 pm

As luck (good or bad) would have it I joined the RAAF, as an apprentice, in the middle of National Service recruitment. My birth date was drawn out the hat 2 years later.
So bottom line = very happy not to become "cannon fodder" in the jungles.
Would have gone to Vietnam accept for being caught up in a political situation between France and Australia. We had bought the Mirage III c fighter aircraft but the froggies refused to let us use them in Vietnam. Some years later we bought our spares from the Israelis who had "cloned/reverse engineered" it. A pox on the French!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 24, 2021, 4:41 pm

Barney wrote:
April 24, 2021, 4:19 pm
Some will always complain about certain wars and individual incidents or actions but our ANZAC day is not one of those days.
Lest We Forget.

http://www.centaurnursesfund.org.au/the ... news-1943/

The Day started out commemorating the landing at Gallipoli, WW1 was considered the war to end all wars. It is to honour those that served now in all wars, but it is also a time for reflection for many. Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq all took their toll on our young men and women we should reflect on that, and try to avoid another such conflict.

My personal view.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 25, 2021, 5:23 am

Had our small solemn dawn service today with our little group of 30 or 40 blokes.

Few moments on who had relos or mates in different theatres of war.

https://youtu.be/bXLL42oCFPI

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 26, 2021, 9:41 am

ON THIS DAY – 26th April

1800 – William Balmain received a land grant on the east side of Cockle Bay. William Balmain (2 February 1762 17 November 1803), a Scottish-born naval surgeon and civil administrator, sailed as an assistant surgeon with the First Fleet to establish the first European settlement in Australia, and later to take up the appointment of the principal surgeon, for New South Wales. Dr. Balmain was intrically involved in a number of Sydney's early conflicts including the Irish rebellion in Castle Hill and the Rum Rebellion of which, Balmain blasted John Macarthur, the rebllion's leader, as "a base rascal and an atrocious liar and villan."

1879 – Seventy square kilometres of land in Sydney's Sutherland Shire ws proclaimed The National Park (later the Royal National Park).

1890 – Banjo Paterson's ‘The Man from Snowy River’ was published in The Bulletin, an Australian news magazine, on 26 April 1890. It was later published by Angus & Robertson in October 1895, with other poems by Paterson, in The Man from Snowy River and Other Verses.

1916 – Writer Morris West, the author of The Devil's Advocate and The Shoes of the Fisherman, was born in St Kilda, Victoria.

1924 – An explosion on the SS Singapore, berthed in Port Adelaide, South Australia, killed 13 people.

1933 – The seaplane carrier, HMAS Albatross, was paid off into reserve.

1939 – Australia's longest-serving Prime Minister, Sir Robert Gordon Menzies, became Prime Minister for the first of his terms.

1970 – Queen Elizabeth II opened the National Carillon in Canberra, a gift of the British government commemorating the establishment of the national capital.

Pictured:
William Balmain by Richard Earlom (NLA) – Top Left
Australian bush poet Banjo Paterson c. 1890 (NLA) - Bottom
Sir Robert Menzies (Wiki) – Top Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 27, 2021, 9:58 am

ON THIS DAY – 27th April

1802 – Explorer Matthew Flinders climbed Arthurs Seat, on the Mornington Peninsula in present-day Victoria.

1896 – Sir Henry Parkes, known as the "Father of Federation", died in Annandale, New South Wales, at the age of 80.

1904 – The Australian Labor Party under Prime Minister Chris Watson became the first Labor government in the world.

1965 – Police raided Melbourne's Austral Bookshop and seize copies of ‘The Trial of Lady Chatterley’, a banned book which recounted the British obscenity trial of author D. H. Lawrence.

1971 – Relics from the wreck of the Dutch East India Company ship Batavia were recovered off the coast of the Houtman Abrolhos in Western Australia.

2000 – Four elderly people, between the ages of 65 to 88, were hospitalised after catching the potentially fatal Legionnaire's disease at the new Melbourne Aquarium in what became Victoria's worst outbreak of the disease with possible exposure to up to 10,000 people.

Pictured:
Matthew Flinders: Toussaint Antoine de Chazal de Chamerel 1771-1822 (SLV) – Top Left
Australia's first Labor ministry, 1904 [unnamed] (Australian Prime Ministers) – Bottom
The Trial of Lady Chatterley Book Cover – Top Right

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”