A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Whistler » April 12, 2022, 7:54 pm

Sport wrote:
April 7, 2022, 6:35 pm
It happens over here every 10 or 15,000 years or so when the earth throws a wobbly to get all the cogs moving in the right sequence. It may also affect the countries west of The Netherlands and Belgium.
No evidence to support that.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 25, 2022, 12:13 pm

ON THIS DAY – 25th April

1809 – First post office in Sydney established. Ex-convict Isaac Nichols was the first postmaster.

1829 – Charles Fremantle arrived in HMS Challenger off the coast of modern-day Western Australia prior to declaring the Swan River Colony for the United Kingdom.

1896 – At the 1896 election in South Australia, women exercised their right to vote for the first time, having been given limited suffrage the previous year.

1907 – Tasmania adopted the Hare-Clark single transferable vote system, and introduced postal voting.

1915 – The Gallipoli Campaign commenced, with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landing at Anzac Cove on the Gallipoli peninsula in present-day Turkey.

1918 – In the Second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux, Australian and British troops counter-attacked German forces near Amiens, France, with Clifford Sadlier later receiving the Victoria Cross for his actions.

1927 – Anzac Day was uniformly observed in all Australian states for the first time.

1975 – The Australian Embassy in South Vietnam was closed and staff evacuated prior to the Fall of Saigon.

1992 – Prime Minister Paul Keating kissed the ground at Kokoda, Papua New Guinea, declaring that it, not Gallipoli, was the birthplace of Australian nationalism.

Pictured:
Issac Nichol (Twisted History) – Bottom Left
Election Day in Adelaide, 25 April 1896 – the first Australian election and referendum in which women could cast a vote. Photographer unknown. (NMA) – Bottom Right
Men of the 11th battalion and 1st Field Company, Australian Engineers, assembled on the forecastle of HMS London at sea off Lemnos, 24 April 1915. The next morning they would leave the London to land on North Beach, Gallipoli. (AWM A02468) – Top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 29, 2022, 10:21 am

Quite a few important events on this day

ON THIS DAY – 29th April

1770 – Lieutenant James Cook landed at and named Botany Bay.

1789 – The Mutiny on the Bounty occurs; Captain William Bligh and 18 others were cast adrift.

1789 – Australia's first bushranger, John 'Black' Caesar, was tried for theft, leading him to make escape plans.

1930 – Telephone connection Britain-Australia goes into service.

1941 – A 7.2-magnitude earthquake, the strongest recorded in Australia, hit near the station of Meeberrie in the Murchison district of Western Australia.

1952 – The ANZUS Treaty between Australia, New Zealand and the United States came into force.

1965 – Menzies announced the government's decision to send a combat force to Vietnam following a request from Saigon for more military aid.

1967 – A majority in the New England region of New South Wales voted against the creation of a new state in the referendum.

1981 – A fire at the Pacific Nursing Home in Sylvania, a suburb of Sydney, killed 16 people.

1988 – QSTV (now Seven Central) started broadcasting to remote Eastern Australia via satellite.

1988 – As part of the Bicentenary, Queen Elizabeth II opened the National Stockman's Hall of Fame in Longreach, Queensland.

1997 – BHP announced it will end steel-making operations in Newcastle in 1999, with 2,500 job lost.

Pictured:
Fletcher Christian and the mutineers sent Lieutenant William Bligh and 18 others adrift; painted 1790 by Robert Dodd. (National Maritime Museum) – Top
A Coy arrives at Tan Son Nhut Airport, Saigon 2 June 1965 (1 RAR The First Battalion Association) – Middle
BHP Newcastle Steel Works, [c. 1915] (The University of Newcastle [Australia]) – Bottom

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 14, 2022, 12:11 pm

Comment from our Kiwi brothers - I don't think there are any sisters on here - would be welcomed. :D
Sex worker's story held until now by WA state library details life in red light districts like Roe Street

........At 31, Joan separated from her husband and moved to Perth.

She worked in establishments on Roe Street — then dubbed Rue de Roe, possibly because of the large number of French women working in the brothels.

By the end of World War II she was running two houses looking after 11 women, almost all of whom were from the eastern states and needed money to support themselves and their families.

Many used nom de plumes at work and Joan remembered very busy times when soldiers came into port from all over the world.

She said, however, the brothels would close when a New Zealand convoy came into Fremantle as the men "get half drunk and go crazy".......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-14/ ... /101058118
:shock:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 12:54 pm

That's shameful behaviour from the Kiwis. Dickheads.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 14, 2022, 1:25 pm

So thats why no sheep are safe when the kiwis were in town, all the brothels were closed

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 14, 2022, 9:53 pm

NZ needs a new flag. copying the aussie flag was
a weak move. maybe sheep on blue background

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 15, 2022, 2:31 am

We tried changing the flag a few years back. No luck. On the flag I'd prefer a lamb strung up in an abattoir about to have its throat slit. Tell it how it is.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 4:21 am

maybe some meth gear , superimposed on a
blue background . with sheep on other side

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 31, 2022, 12:00 am

Udon Thani fashion college designs were centre stage represented by the Australian embassy.
Good on the kids for producing something for the big stage.

ImageImage Ms Julia Feeney, Chargé d'Affaires a.i. Australian Embassy, Thailand and son Mr Cael Feeney represented Australia at the 11th Celebration of Silk: Thai Silk Road to the World 2022. They joined permanent secretaries of all of Thailand’s 10 ministries and around 100 representatives from diplomatic missions in Thailand. The event was held at the Royal Thai Navy Convention Hall on Saturday.

The outfits were designed and tailored by students and teachers from Udon Thani Vocational College to showcase Australia’s unique natural beauty through Thai Silk. They were inspired by the natural beauty of Central Australia’s red outback landscape.

This year marks the 11th anniversary of the annual event, to honour Her Majesty an individual, the Queen Mother for her lifelong contribution to the development of Thai Silk.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 3:48 am

Classy double-breasted cut. Nice.

The brown/tan is a bit overcooked IMHO. I was told only undertakers wore brown suits (after I bought a brown suit). The black shirt doesn't do anything here either.

Now over to our regular fashion pundit...
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 3:54 am

Who is our regular fashion pundit? KP?

Perhaps pepesgrill? The lady boys probably like a well dressed man.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 31, 2022, 4:03 am

gt93, please go back to your sweatshop employing unpaid, brown college interns. the very
best of nz . what an ambassador you must be :-&

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 4:26 am

Interns seem out of fashion at present as labour is in very short supply. I haven't had one for a while. I wanted to tell the last one to stop coming in because she was wasting my time. She was "working" for me about 6 hours a week. I didn't "dismiss" her because I didn't want to upset her. Fortunately Covid lockdowns gave me a reasonable excuse to cease the arrangement.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 5:50 am

I let my intern go after her humidor stopped working.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 31, 2022, 9:03 am

i watched a podcast with casey stoner recently.
what a prodigy he was ( motogp racer) and mick
doohan of previous generation. all class. and

both exceptional talents. casey just a kid when
he was racing the big bikes. truly remarkable

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 9:14 am

The late Lester Piggott won his first horse race at only 12 years old. Unfortunately, despite a long and illustrious racing career, he never ran in the Melbourne Cup. They don't make 'em like they used to, eh?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 11:23 am

Didn't he do some porridge at some stage? I doubt the Feeneys ever will.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 31, 2022, 5:14 pm

So, the completely off topic dribble infects another thread.
Even a simple post about congratulating the students of the local Udon Thani Vocational College who designed garments to be paraded on the big stage can’t be positively commented on in a praising manner of the kids.
It a shame some posts can’t be left alone by the handful who appear to have the need and inclination to post on anything at any cost. Even from abroad.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 5:22 pm

It looks like Ms Feeney is going to too many work dinners. Designing clothes for someone her shape must be a big challenge. The photos on the catwalk aren't flattering.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”