A little ray of sunshine from Australia

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by jackspratt » October 31, 2022, 7:31 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 31, 2022, 5:47 pm
Yep Jack, I disagree. China is already bullying Australia, bans on wine, grains, coal etc. China is also trying to steal the South China sea, moving into Australia's nearby geographies etc.

They are a bully. Yes Australia MUST live with them, but not as vassals.
Australia is a long way short of becoming a vassal of the bully China.

But by allowing a further build-up of regional defence capability by the US on our soil at this time, I wonder just which state we are increasingly becoming a vassal of?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2022, 7:55 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 31, 2022, 7:26 pm
Australia's national interest is a bit wider than the unfortunate issues that those nations bordering the South China Sea are experiencing from the bully China.

And even more so than those companies trying to exploit the natural resources of that region.
So China IS a bully.

Currently Vietnam and Philippines are suckered into Xi's game of divide and conquer when it comes to regional opposition to China claiming the South China Sea. They sign individual MOU's for joint exploration and development that ultimately result in NO development and exploration as China drags their feet on participation. If China is taking advantage of some trade deficit with these neighbors, that's still bullying.

How about the Australian companies trying to exploit the natural resources of THEIR own region? Is that OK?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2022, 7:58 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 31, 2022, 7:31 pm
Whistler wrote:
October 31, 2022, 5:47 pm
Yep Jack, I disagree. China is already bullying Australia, bans on wine, grains, coal etc. China is also trying to steal the South China sea, moving into Australia's nearby geographies etc.

They are a bully. Yes Australia MUST live with them, but not as vassals.
Australia is a long way short of becoming a vassal of the bully China.

But by allowing a further build-up of regional defence capability by the US on our soil at this time, I wonder just which state we are increasingly becoming a vassal of?
The Solomon Islands?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2022, 8:04 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Australia's national interest is a bit wider than the unfortunate issues that those nations bordering the South China Sea are experiencing from the bully China.

And even more so than those companies trying to exploit the natural resources of that region.
Germany first encroachment was the Rhure Valley, the next was Austria, the next Silesia....stop the buggers early and relentlessly. China is in an expansionist mode, Tibet being the most graphic example. No more.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 31, 2022, 8:19 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 31, 2022, 8:04 pm
jackspratt wrote:

Germany first encroachment was the Rhure Valley, the next was Austria, the next Silesia....stop the buggers early and relentlessly. China is in an expansionist mode, Tibet being the most graphic example. No more.
Spare me, please Whistles.

A couple of posts ago you had Australia becoming a vassal state of China - which is not even remotely possible.

Now you want to go back 90 years in European history, and extrapolate it to what is happening in the SE Asian region. If it ever gets to the stage that B52s really need to be stationed in Oz, I'm sure there will be plenty of warning of that.

In the meantime, there are plenty of alternatives available.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 31, 2022, 8:31 pm

tamada wrote:
October 31, 2022, 7:55 pm

So China IS a bully.
I haven't suggested otherwise.
Currently Vietnam and Philippines are suckered into Xi's game of divide and conquer when it comes to regional opposition to China claiming the South China Sea. They sign individual MOU's for joint exploration and development that ultimately result in NO development and exploration as China drags their feet on participation. If China is taking advantage of some trade deficit with these neighbors, that's still bullying.
Fortunately, Australia seems to be aware of China's game, and has sufficient economic clout to push back to a certain extent.

It should also have a mature and sophisticated enough diplomatic strategy to be able to approach the problem, without exacerbating it.
How about the Australian companies trying to exploit the natural resources of THEIR own region? Is that OK?
Perhaps ask East Timor.
Last edited by jackspratt on October 31, 2022, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2022, 8:39 pm

The public has no visibility of many diplomatic negotiations, speculation on this little forum is plain silly.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 31, 2022, 10:14 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 31, 2022, 8:04 pm
jackspratt wrote:

The breaking of the terms of the Joint Declaration over Hong Kong would be a better example than the Tibetan takeover in the '50s. You could also suggest that the road and rail belt initiatives by China are examples of expansionism although China is not the only player in that game.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 1, 2022, 1:22 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 31, 2022, 8:31 pm
tamada wrote:
October 31, 2022, 7:55 pm

So China IS a bully.
I haven't suggested otherwise.
Fortunately, Australia seems to be aware of China's game, and has sufficient economic clout to push back to a certain extent.

It should also have a mature and sophisticated enough diplomatic strategy to be able to approach the problem, without exacerbating it.
Perhaps ask East Timor.
"Mature and sophisticated." I worked in mainland China for over eight years. Those are a couple of mannerisms that I found distinctly lacking. Or are you talking about Australian diplomacy?

What do I need to ask East Timor about? They're doing quite well drilling for their own oil and gas at the moment.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 1, 2022, 7:59 am

tamada wrote:
November 1, 2022, 1:22 am

"Mature and sophisticated." I worked in mainland China for over eight years. Those are a couple of mannerisms that I found distinctly lacking. Or are you talking about Australian diplomacy?

What do I need to ask East Timor about? They're doing quite well drilling for their own oil and gas at the moment.
I lived and worked in China for nearly 4 years. Perhaps the place where I lived, and the sector I worked in, were more mature and sophisticated than you experienced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... ng_scandal

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 1, 2022, 9:19 am

Forget about Timor mature attitudes etc. This is 98% bluster by China

The only think that counts now is a certain dictator who rules all foreign policy in China

B52's have been refuelling in Tindal for yonks, they have always been capable of carrying nukes, a storm in an oolong teacup. I bet after a week or so it will no longer be in the news.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » November 1, 2022, 10:03 am

Besides the B52s, it would be nice to see the B-1 Lancer & B2 Spirit drop into Oz now and then, then again they probably have.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 1, 2022, 2:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:
November 1, 2022, 7:59 am
tamada wrote:
November 1, 2022, 1:22 am

I lived and worked in China for nearly 4 years. Perhaps the place where I lived, and the sector I worked in, were more mature and sophisticated than you experienced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... ng_scandal
Obviously. I was living and working amongst the real great unwashed after all. I blame it all on Bill Clinton. I mean how can you grant "most favored nation" trading status to a nation of a billion+ who crap in public and don't wipe their arses?

As I said, Timor L'Este is doing fine now.

We can agree to disagree on how to handle China. We've both been there, done that so we have more in common than most who make a noise about rapprochement or otherwise. My personal experience is of their enduring deceit and bare-faced contempt which was echoed by my New Zealand buddy who moved in government circles there.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 1, 2022, 4:12 pm

I have never lived in China but have had experience doing business with Chinese suppliers, all of it bad.

Lying scoundrels every one.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 10:36 pm

Labor easily retains government in Victoria state election. News Corp bombs out again. I hope we are seeing the beginning of the end of BS journalism and a renewed press reporting on events rather than thinking they can control events.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 10:40 pm

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/thous ... d271832e8e
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 27, 2022, 9:46 am

The election was resoundingly won by Labor yesterday, this is the coverage from the Murdoch press today. Election? Duh what election?
FB_IMG_1669517049166.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 27, 2022, 12:51 pm

Meanwhile in Bondi Beach everyone forgot their swim suits on the same day.
Attachments
Bondi.jpg

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 5, 2023, 8:12 am

The controversial Aboriginal cultural heritage laws that prompted an army of outraged farmers to rally in an outback hall last month are set to be scrapped, according to new reports.

Western Australian Premier Roger Cook and the state’s Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Tony Buti are expected to make an announcement on the divisive Aboriginal cultural heritage laws early next week, the ABC reports.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2023, 9:32 am

In another nod to logic and common sense, the Australian offshore environmental regulator finally gave the nod to the bit of Woodside's huge Scarborough gas field development that I work on. Typically, these projects need to address the migratory paths of humpback whales, turtle shagging nests and other marine fauna but this one was stymied for over a year by the Greens and other, well-funded "just stop oil" protagonists masquerading as the "culture, heritage and sea spirits" community.

Looking forward to Messrs Roger and Tony giving a continued stiff middle finger to those entities that are abusing the Aboriginal cultural heritage laws in the name of renewable energy, carbon-zero and other nebulous and unprovable 'scentific' notions.

Also looking forward to Christmas in WA.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”