A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » May 31, 2022, 8:13 pm

The kiwi troll at it again. What’s with the personal derogatory comments about someone who has no right of reply.
The prosecution rests.

The Udon kids did a great job in capturing the colors of australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 1, 2022, 2:11 am

Her shape would be a good lesson for the kids as the Thais are fattening up too. She isn't a lost cause. If she's smart she could get herself into better shape. I'd guess she's even thinking about it after being on the catwalk in those clothes.

Many men hold women accountable for their weight. That's a persistent theme in the manosphere. They hold us accountable for things too.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2022, 12:27 pm

Barney wrote:
May 31, 2022, 8:13 pm
The kiwi troll at it again. What’s with the personal derogatory comments about someone who has no right of reply.
The prosecution rests.

The Udon kids did a great job in capturing the colors of australia.

Steady on there. It's not all Ayers Rock and bulldust is it?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 1, 2022, 6:38 pm

tamada wrote:
May 31, 2022, 9:14 am
The late Lester Piggott won his first horse race at only 12 years old. Unfortunately, despite a long and illustrious racing career, he never ran in the Melbourne Cup. They don't make 'em like they used to, eh?
The horses were faster than Lester, I doubt if he could have stayed the 3200 metres.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 2, 2022, 1:50 pm

GT93 wrote:
May 31, 2022, 5:22 pm
It looks like Ms Feeney is going to too many work dinners. Designing clothes for someone her shape must be a big challenge. The photos on the catwalk aren't flattering.
Why not post a picture of yourself to show what you class as flattering, you can hide your face if you are shy.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 2, 2022, 8:01 pm

Oh, is he one ours? Pass him back...got any more?

Robert Hughes: Australian actor and sex offender to be deported to UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61669953
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 3, 2022, 11:52 am

Earnest wrote:
June 2, 2022, 8:01 pm
Oh, is he one ours? Pass him back...got any more?

Robert Hughes: Australian actor and sex offender to be deported to UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61669953
Could swap him with Jake the Peg... diddle liddle liddle eg
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 7, 2022, 5:14 pm

Well I didn’t know that about 1494

ON THIS DAY – 7th June

1494 – The Treaty of Tordesillas was signed, dividing the world outside of Europe in an exclusive duopoly between the Spanish Empire and the Portuguese Empire. In 1943 Pope Alexander VI was called upon to arbitrate in a dispute between Spain and Portugal as to "whose Territory was whose", his solution was to draw a line of demarcation through the then known world, allocating the western hemisphere to the Spaniards and the east to the Portuguese. The north-south line was finally agreed upon and established at the Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494 which was set at 370 leagues west of Cape Verde Islands. In principle the treaty followed the papal line issued in 1493, however it shifted the demarcation line west giving Portugal a claim to Brazil. This was shifted slightly again with the Saragossa Line in 1529. With the fall of Malacca to the Dutch in 1641, the VOC (Dutch East India Company) took control of Portuguese possessions in Indonesia, claiming Western New Guinea and Western Australia, as New Holland. Eastern Australia remained in the Spanish half of the world until claimed by Britain. A remnant of the Treaty of Tordesillas line, moved six degrees west, today forms the border between Western Australia and the rest of the continent.

1770 – Lieutenant James Cook named Palm Island, off Australia's eastern coast.

1813 – Birth date of Sir Redmond Barry, the judge who sentenced Ned Kelly.

1841 – Darlinghurst Gaol took in its first prisoners.

1942 – The Income Tax (War-time Arrangements) Act 1942 was enacted, transferring the power to levy personal income tax from the states to the federal government.

1967 – Launceston, Tasmania, recorded the highest barometric pressure on record for Australia with a reading of 1044.3 millibars or 30.84 inHg.

1998 – Susie Maroney swam from Mexico to Cuba, covering the longest distance ever swum without flippers in open sea.

Pictured:
Map showing The Treaty of Tordesillas lines – Top
Darlinghurst Gaol 1891, Henry Louis Bertrand (SLNSW) – Bottom Left
Portrait of Redmond Barry, Australian jurist (NLA) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 18, 2022, 9:30 am

The important things we used to celebrate in days long past, not an alphabet rainbow flag in site.,

Red Cross nurses marching down Liverpool Street, Hobart - 1918

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 25, 2022, 6:50 pm

ON THIS DAY – 25th June

1847 – Melbourne was proclaimed a city by letters patent of Queen Victoria.

1852 – The Murrumbidgee River flooded Gundagai, NSW, killing 89. Torrential rain had been falling in the Snowy Mountains for most of the month of June 1852 but despite the rising river, many people, familiar with flooding, chose to wait out the floods in the lofts of their houses rather than evacuate. In the early hours of 25 June 1852, a torrent swept down the Murrumbidgee valley causing house to collapse and people were swept away. A punt sent out to rescue people capsized, its occupants thrown into the raging waters. Two Aborigines, Yarri and Jackey Jackey, showing great courage and heroism took their canoes out into the torrent to rescuing 49 people stranded in trees and the water.

1867 – Bushrangers the Clarke brothers were executed in Sydney. Active around the southern goldfields of Braidwood, NSW, from 1865 until their capture, Thomas and John were joined for a time by their other brother James and several associates. Responsible for a reported 71 robberies and hold-ups and the death of at least one policeman, they are also suspected of killing a squad of four policemen looking to bring them in. The Clarkes also murdered one of their own gang members and a man they wrongly assumed was a police tracker, and shot several other victims. They were captured during a shoot-out in April 1867 and hanged two months later at Darlinghurst Gaol. Their execution ended organised gang bushranging in NSW. Some modern-day writers have described the Clarkes as the most bloodthirsty bushrangers of all, and according to one journalist, "Their crimes were so shocking that they never made their way into bushranger folklore — people just wanted to forget about them."

1912 – Landscape gardener and botanist William Guilfoyle, the architect of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne, died.

1967 – The ABC participated in the historic Our World broadcast, the world's first live, international, satellite television production.

Pictured:
Elizabeth St, Melbourne, 1847 ( University of Melbourne)
Yarri Monument Plaque (Monument Australia)
The Clarke brothers (SLNSW)

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 1, 2022, 8:16 am

Victorian Independence Day
Wikipedia
On 1 July 1851, writs were issued for the election of the first Victorian Legislative Council, and the absolute independence of Victoria from New South Wales was established proclaiming a new Colony of Victoria.[28] Days later, still in 1851 gold was discovered near Ballarat, and subsequently at Bendigo. Later discoveries occurred at many sites across Victoria. This triggered one of the largest gold rushes the world has ever seen. The colony grew rapidly in both population and economic power. In 10 years, the population of Victoria increased sevenfold from 76,000 to 540,000. All sorts of gold records were produced, including the "richest shallow alluvial goldfield in the world" and the largest gold nugget. In the decade 1851–1860 Victoria produced 20 million ounces of gold, one-third of the world's output.[29]

Immigrants arrived from all over the world to search for gold, especially from Ireland and China.[30] By 1857, 26,000 Chinese miners worked in Victoria, and their legacy is particularly strong in Bendigo and its environs.

In 1854 at Ballarat, an armed rebellion against the government of Victoria was made by miners protesting against mining taxes (the "Eureka Stockade"). This was crushed by British troops, but the confrontation persuaded the colonial authorities to reform the administration of mining concessions (reducing the hated mining licence fees) and extend the electoral franchise. The following year, the Imperial Parliament granted Victoria responsible government with the passage of the Colony of Victoria Act 1855. Some of the leaders of the Eureka rebellion went on to become members of the Victorian Parliament.

In 1857, reflecting the growing presence of Irish Catholic immigrants, John O'Shanassy became the colony's second Premier with the former Young Irelander, Charles Gavan Duffy as his deputy. Melbourne's Protestant establishment was ill-prepared "to countenance so startling a novelty".[31] In 1858–59, Melbourne Punch cartoons linked Duffy and O'Shanassy to the terrors of the French Revolution.[32]

In 1862 Duffy's Land Act attempted, but failed, through a system of extended pastoral licences, to break the land-holding monopoly of the so-called "squatter" class.[33] In 1871, having led, on behalf of small farmers, opposition to Premier Sir James McCulloch's land tax, Duffy, himself, was briefly Premier.

In 1893 widespread bank failures brought to an end a sustained period of prosperity and of increasingly wild speculation in land and construction. Melbourne nonetheless retained, as the legacy of the gold rush, its status as Australia's primary financial centre and largest city.

In 1901, Victoria became a state in the Commonwealth of Australia. While Canberra was being built, Melbourne served until 1927 as country's first federal capital.[citation needed]
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 21, 2022, 5:32 pm

Good to see the Aussie dollar raise its head above the 25 bht level.
Takes away that inflation affect.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 23, 2022, 1:02 am

Barney wrote:
July 21, 2022, 5:32 pm
Good to see the Aussie dollar raise its head above the 25 bht level.
Takes away that inflation affect.

True, but one wonders if it (the Baht) can claw its way back to TB 28 to the USD.

Also great to see that Thai Baht at 36.5 plus, to the USD, especially when you are paid in "de facto" USD currency \:D/ \:D/

Back to the good old days of October 2016 =D> =D>

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 23, 2022, 2:16 pm

Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price.

“Good morning Australia I’m ready to serve our nation Image🫡Image

Hope her views on the resolutions to problems with aboriginals can be heard.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 9, 2022, 8:13 am

I always thought that the 'Aussie rules' were a bit daft.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/202 ... attitudes/
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 18, 2022, 9:51 am

ON THIS DAY – 18th August

1786 – The decision was made in England to colonise New South Wales with convicts from Britain's overcrowded gaols.

1791 – Richard Bowen entered and named Jervis Bay aboard the Atlantic.

1832 – The Savings Bank of New South Wales was established.

1909 – Disastrous floods hit Victoria.

1934 – Donald Bradman (244) and Ponsford scored 451 in partnership in 316 minutes for Australia against England.

1966 – The Battle of Long Tan occurred in South Vietnam. The Battle of Long Tan was a decisive Australian victory in the Vietnam War. Amid a tropical downpour, 108 men of D Company, 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, supported by artillery and a timely resupply by the RAAF, fought off an attack by an enemy force of more than 2,000 in a rubber plantation near the abandoned village of Long Tan. The arrival of Armoured Personnel Carriers carrying reinforcements brought the action to an end. Seventeen Australians were killed, one died of wounds, and 24 were wounded. More than 245 enemy bodies were later counted, but many more had been taken away. The date is commemorated in Australia as Long Tan Day, also known as Vietnam Veterans' Remembrance Day.

1983 – A road train was deliberately driven into a motel at Ayers Rock, killing five people and injuring a further 20. The driver was subsequently convicted of murder.

1984 – The Fine Cotton scam was discovered at Eagle Farm Racecourse, Brisbane. Fine Cotton (29 November 1976 – 20 February 2009) was a brown Australian Thoroughbred gelding which was at the centre of a substitution scam (also known as a ring-in) which occurred on 18 August 1984, in the Commerce Novice (2nd division) Handicap over 1,500 metres at Eagle Farm Racecourse, Brisbane, Queensland.

Pictured:
Painting of Battle of Long Tan by Bruce Fletcher held at the Australian War Memorial – Middle
The Fine Cotton affair (Punters) – Bottom
Floods, Wilson Street, Horsham, 1909 (Victorian Places) – Top

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 20, 2022, 10:22 pm

ON THIS DAY – 20th August

1794 – A third attempt to cross the Blue Mountains was made, this time led by Henry Hacking; they returned on 27th unsuccessful.

1836 – Colonel William Light arrived in South Australia to survey a site for the first settlement.

1857 – 121 people died when the ship, the 'Dunbar', ran aground at The Gap, Sydney.

1860 – Burke and Wills expedition set off from Royal Park, Melbourne at about 4pm watched by around 15,000 spectators.

1908 – America's Great White Fleet arrived in Sydney, Australia, to be greeted with a tremendous welcome; 221 American sailors deserted to remain in Australia.

1968 – The National Gallery of Victoria was opened in Melbourne.

1985 – Hanspeter Beck of South Australia, finished a 3,875 mile, 51 day trip from Western Australia to Melbourne on a unicycle.

1992 – Strictly Ballroom, the movie, premiered.

Pictured:
Wreck of the Dunbar off Sydney Heads, 20th Sept. 1857 (SLNSW) – Top
Nicholas Chevalier, Memorandum of the Start of the Exploring Expedition, oil on canvas, 1860 (Wiki) – Middle
A 1908 Australian postcard welcoming the American 'Great White Fleet' to Australia (Wiki) – Bottom

Drank quite a few beers in the old Dunbar Hotel Paddington Sydney,
named after the wreck Dunbar.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 3, 2022, 5:25 pm

𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗨𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗬 Image
𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗨𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗙𝗟𝗔𝗚 Image

On this day – 121 years ago – the Australian National Flag was first unveiled by Prime Minister Edmund Barton and officially flown at the site of Australia’s first Parliament – the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 3, 2022, 10:38 pm

Just spotted this
Here I was thinking we only had one national flag to be proud of when each ways mob come out with this joke.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 3, 2022, 11:00 pm

I have not googled this but I think it was early 1950's before we adopted our flag. I think we are all Australians including my aboriginal mates. I would not have a problem if we added an Aboriginal element to the flag as they are an important part of our history.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”