What are Essential Businesses

Charlieb
udonmap.com

What are Essential Businesses

Post by Charlieb » April 2, 2020, 1:24 pm

I am a bit confused by the Thai government's stay-at-home policy. I know they talk about what stores or businesses can remain open but what about things like construction, etc. Are these deemed essential businesses?

Today, in my housing development, I saw a truck unload 5 or 6 young workers at a house near me. I saw building materials so I assume they are adding an extension.

It bothers me that these people are coming from god knows where and to whom they have been exposed. Especially being very young which means they could be asymptomatic and still have the virus.

I notified the housing manger but would bet they do nothing. I would bet if one household gets the virus in my housing area it will spread like wildfire.

I contracted last month to have my house repainted and was due to start last week. I called and cancelled until after the lock-down.

Am I making something out of nothing here?

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Re: What are Essential Businesses

Post by Declan MacPherson » April 2, 2020, 1:39 pm

Anyone who has spent their time here making friends with locals and being friendly enough when doing business in the area will have enough contacts to get whatever they need. That will be true whether it is shopping or needing work done around the house. These special measures for the virus have not hampered needs at our house at all. Just another great day in Thailand. =D>

I wish all the very best.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 2, 2020, 2:08 pm

Charlieb wrote:
April 2, 2020, 1:24 pm
I am a bit confused by the Thai government's stay-at-home policy. I know they talk about what stores or businesses can remain open but what about things like construction, etc. Are these deemed essential businesses?

Today, in my housing development, I saw a truck unload 5 or 6 young workers at a house near me. I saw building materials so I assume they are adding an extension.

It bothers me that these people are coming from god knows where and to whom they have been exposed. Especially being very young which means they could be asymptomatic and still have the virus.

I notified the housing manger but would bet they do nothing. I would bet if one household gets the virus in my housing area it will spread like wildfire.

I contracted last month to have my house repainted and was due to start last week. I called and cancelled until after the lock-down.

Am I making something out of nothing here?
No i dont think you are Charlie .. i have commented a few times on what seems to be the fact many still dont seem to be embracing the governments requests for ..essential travel only , stay at home and /or social distancing .. these all seem for the most part to be being ignored and this terrible situation not taken seriously.

You make a good point .. construction sites are still working no shut down ESSENTIAL ?? .. i see the pick ups full of workers in the mornings at Tams favourite intersection ...then theres all the hole in the wall shop house Noodle restaurants and khao jandeow places packed with dine in patrons and no one bats an eyelid ..

IMO its very much business as usual and it shouldnt be.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 2, 2020, 2:19 pm

Couldn't agree more, not enough people are taking this seriously enough including farang, think of it this way Charlie, the house painting can still be done in a couple of months time when hopefully this has blown over, if you catch the virus will you be fit enough to fight it? Stay safe.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 2, 2020, 10:39 pm

This morning i looked out for which DIY/Home improvement warehouses were open, while doing our shop's supply run. Global house seemed to have some limited opening, maybe trade only. Between BigC and Makro there are 2 medium sized warehouses, both were open ......

Otherwise about 50% of smaller shops are still working.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 8, 2020, 5:22 pm

Global etc all closed now, I bet Lazada is killing it
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 8, 2020, 5:28 pm

UK has been on "lockdown" or 2 weeks but many construction sites are still operating there

after checking with UK govt Mike ashley was shocked to learn that the sale of Golf Clubs and footie shirts were NOT deemed essential

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 8, 2020, 5:56 pm

As per the topic header ..who the fook knows ???? what is essential to one person is totally irrelevant to another.. saw a fella having new alloy wheels put on his truck as i passed to go 7 ?? , dine in noddle shops ?? Oscars Soapy ??.. construction sites ?? .. yet hotels closed and vets no dog washing n grooming .. ting tong

IMO WAY TOO MUCH IS STILL OPEN with scant regard for social distancing etc ..

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 8, 2020, 6:06 pm

Hands up everybody who thinks the Thai bureaucracy will make a 100% well informed decision on what is an essential service. Now, hands up who thinks Thai enforcement will be 100% logical and effective.

Topic is not flogging a dead horse, there are no horses to be seen.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 8, 2020, 6:11 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 8, 2020, 6:06 pm
Hands up everybody who thinks the Thai bureaucracy will make a 100% well informed decision on what is an essential service. Now, hands up who thinks Thai enforcement will be 100% logical and effective.

Topic is not flogging a dead horse, there are no horses to be seen.
If there's "nothing to flog" does that mean its not essential for Horsemeat shops to stay open? what about buffalo meat shops?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 8, 2020, 7:20 pm

I know somebody with a sick buffalo, can you send money please

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 8, 2020, 7:47 pm

only after its received a CV19 test organised by the UK govt ...... phewww, the buffalos bound to have snuffed it by the time the test is available

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 8, 2020, 8:14 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 8, 2020, 7:47 pm
only after its received a CV19 test organised by the UK govt ...... phewww, the buffalos bound to have snuffed it by the time the test is available
BS, the buffalo was never sick, my SCB account is

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 8, 2020, 10:17 pm

If we forumites are collectively doing our very best to limit our exposure, what difference does it make that non-essential businesses and the locals in general appear to be flaunting these rules? Yes, it is irresponsible but if we are staying inside our houses and not having visitors, why do we need daily reminders of other people's irresponsibility? We all see it when we do our own essential runs to the ATM, &-eleven, makro, etc., but talking about it ad nauseum won't make it stop. It's getting to be more annoying than the act itself.

What's on the other side of the record?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 9, 2020, 7:07 am

tamada wrote:
April 8, 2020, 10:17 pm
If we forumites are collectively doing our very best to limit our exposure, what difference does it make that non-essential businesses and the locals in general appear to be flaunting these rules? Yes, it is irresponsible but if we are staying inside our houses and not having visitors, why do we need daily reminders of other people's irresponsibility? We all see it when we do our own essential runs to the ATM, &-eleven, makro, etc., but talking about it ad nauseum won't make it stop. It's getting to be more annoying than the act itself.

Arr Tams early morning thread whinge .. couldnt get thru the day with out it ..

Verse 1
Comparison a mere annoyance or deaths via Covid !!!
On the other side of the the CD .. maybe some facts singing out loud that this non essential travel and opening of non essential businesses and the irresponsibility it shows is in fact very dangerous and so easy to have a cluster infection via lets say a heaving dine in noodle shop in Phosri rd ... whose to say a customer from that place (which should be closed IMO) doesnt stop off at a 7 or an atm on the way home and some one who is following government regs and treating this seriously gets infected due to their blase attitude.

Verse 2
selective enforcement instead of a blanket closure of all places except the previously stated supermarkets banks pharmacies etc will prove a mistake due to so many appearing un concerned ..thats fine if it only effected them but it could so easily countless others that are are doing their bit and following government gudelines .

Again OMO .. will all have one and are free to express it .. annoying or not.

DM

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 9, 2020, 7:57 am

tamada wrote:

I care about others irresponsibility because the sooner people start taking notice of what they are being told , the sooner this nightmare will end .
Heres another thought . Is social distancing more important that wearing a mask ? Im seeing plenty of masks , but no social distancing as such .
Feel free to comment , if nothing else , it annoys Tam . :lol:

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 9, 2020, 8:04 am

Beer bars, massage parlours and all liquor sales.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 9, 2020, 8:07 am

saint wrote:
April 9, 2020, 7:57 am
tamada wrote:

I care about others irresponsibility because the sooner people start taking notice of what they are being told , the sooner this nightmare will end .
Heres another thought . Is social distancing more important that wearing a mask ? Im seeing plenty of masks , but no social distancing as such .
Feel free to comment , if nothing else , it annoys Tam . :lol:
we are on the same page .. agree totally whilst wearing a mask MAY HELP the fact there seems to be little of no social distancing is alarming.
Wearing a mask is too easy lets be honest so why not do it ..and it actually gives the impression that the wearer does care and is being responsible regardless if its giving protection to them or others .. people should nt be close enough to each other to sneeze of cough and splatter another person with mucus IF SOCIAL DISTANCING WAS TAKEN SERIOUSLY ..masks possibly give a false sense of security and thats why people dont distance themselves thinking the mask is enough when maybe it isnt.

DM

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 9, 2020, 8:13 am

jai yen yen wrote:
April 9, 2020, 8:04 am
Beer bars, massage parlours and all liquor sales.
Heres the point . One mans essential , is not the next mans .
They need to decide one way or the other which direction to take the country in this crisis !!!
All i am seeing is indecision , blaming others , delegating responsability , and general faffing about , with no clear guidance or instructions .
Yes they tweek this and change that , but im not seeing a functioning plan .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 9, 2020, 10:12 am

Gum beaters of UM unite!!!

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”