Post Covid ecomony

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: Post Covid ecomony

Post by pipoz4444 » June 12, 2020, 1:33 pm

With Thailand's real GDP forecast to shrink to - 6.6% in December 2020, buy the IMF, I just can't believe that the Thai Baht has managed to strengthen to under 31 B to the USD, over these past two weeks. :fryingpan: :yikes:

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 12, 2020, 1:39 pm

Believe it or not ..... there are some obscure forces at work..... but don t call it currency manipulation.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 12, 2020, 1:50 pm

the-monk wrote:
June 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
Believe it or not ..... there are some obscure forces at work..... but don t call it currency manipulation.
Yes and it has me stumped :-k :-k

I was looking for to the Thai Baht being above 32 to the USD for the rest of this year, at least :cry:

pipoz4444

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 12, 2020, 7:40 pm

Then of course you will still take a risk that if you did come here on holiday a servere outbreak here or your home country could lead to a lockdown in either country. We've seen how fast borders can close , come for a two week holiday and end up stranded for 5 months . What if you came from super clean country like new Zealand and then found an outbreak here stops you returning ?
Thailand seems safe , so so why would they risk having to go back into lockdown again ? Stop people entering and local economy can continue . Or let risk takers in and close the whole economy again . Tourism is a big part of their economy , but it's still just one part
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 12, 2020, 9:46 pm

If the objective is to stop Traveler bringing the virus back into the Country, then just maybe Cambodia has some aspects of merit in their idea, but a still a lot to iron out if they want any Tourists back. This is being reported in the Khmer Times and elsewhere, and disregard the $ numbers and look at part of the Idea,

On entry into the Country travelers will
Go buy Bus to a Waiting Area US$ 5
Undergo a Swab Test for RT-PCR US$ 100
Travels to stay overnight in Hotel Room US$ 30 and can pay an extra US$ 30 for with three meals

Total US$ 135.00, plus extra for your Tourist Visa: I don't see a major issue with the above

But I do see a few problems with some of the Points below, particularly A1

A few questionable issues about it,.
Q1. The swab test takes say 4 hours or if overnight (12 hours), to give you a Negative result, then you can go. Not sure how one can eat 3 meals in 4 to 12 hours, so their should be a lot of food being sold out the back door of the kitchen?? :yikes:
Q2. That $5 Bus ride, will get infected, very quickly, after the first few trips? Hope the $5 helps pay for a thorough clean and disinfect, at least once a Day. :-$ :yikes: I would b looking to get the very very early morning flight, in the odd chance it was cleaned the night before. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Then their is this part, which is a worry,

A1. Security Deposit: All Foreigners entering Cambodia have to pay US$ 3,000 as a Security Deposit to cover the cost of further Covid-19 Testing?? which appears to apply only if you test Positive on arrival, to cover,

14 Day Quarantine Cost at Government designated facility, at $84 per day all inclusive rate = $ 1,176, if one Person on your Flight tests Positive. Call it collective punishment because of some F..Wit . You pay and loose 14 days because on one Person. =; =;

This part won't work, as you will never know if anyone on that Flight did really test Positive or whether it was a mistake in the Testing or even just a Scam to keep you in that Government Facility for 14 days and slug you $ 1,176 for ssh..t food

A2. Health Certificate: Another US$ 30 that you pay to get you Covid-19 Health Certificate, because someone else supposedly tested Positive on that Flight and now you have to be tested again after 14 Days.

A3. Cremation: US$ 1,500 for Cremation, (presumably because you got infected (maybe on that dirty Bus). I suppose this means that you don't get any of you $ 3,000 Deposit Back, but you do get a Death Certificate included for free. \:D/ [-X [-X

Think they still have a few issues to iron out, or they will never see another Tourist again [-X [-X

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 12, 2020, 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 12, 2020, 9:50 pm

The UK's April GDP was -20.4%

There, in a nutshell, is your post-covid economy.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 13, 2020, 7:05 am

tamada wrote:
June 12, 2020, 9:50 pm
The UK's April GDP was -20.4%

There, in a nutshell, is your post-covid economy.
Eh, did you expect any other kind of figure, the whole Country has been in lockdown so a 20.4% drop is surprisingly positive. Means not to much to do when the UK gets back to work. Not at all an indicator of post Covid times at all. How did Scotland's economy perform under the Great Shepherdesses leadership Tam probably the same because she just follows the 'real' leaders.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 13, 2020, 10:32 am

Dr Taweesilp said domestic airlines could sell all seats on a flight, because planes have good ventilation systems and flight-times are short, about one hour. Infection on average needed at least two hours of exposure, he said. However, airline passengers must continue to wear face masks.

So there we go. We all suffered under the lockdown rules and restrictions but the Thai experts come up with a totally unique theory Cannot catch in 2 hours. Why were the soapies closed down, an hour at best.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 13, 2020, 12:45 pm

Re entry to Cambodia, for those who have an interest

https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... dia-visas/

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 14, 2020, 3:14 pm

Sorry to say, but,

Post Covid-19 Labor Market:

1.Very high unemployment around the World for the next 18 Months, perpetuated thereafter by a reduction in the number of available jobs in the not too distant future, as Companies move to embrace more technology in order to reduce their Employee numbers (replacing it where they can by On-line and Apps), so that they can position themselves for a future Pandemic, with much less expose to a large manual Workforce.

2.The likes of JCPenny, Aldo, Debenhem's, Monsoon Accessorize, Laura Ashley, just disappear for good (if not already gone), followed by many other retail outlet types over the next 5 years. What were once job opportunities for the young people just don't or will not exist anymore. :cry: :cry:

3.Already the Governments do not have the answers to creating enough jobs for the Young and plus 55 Years old group, so what makes one think that the Governments will have any more answers to the problem in the future, when it becomes harder with technology biting and jobs become more scarce. :-k :-k

Most Government are comprise Political animals who are not really exposed to the every day hardships of the working people, hence they make enough noise to get themselves elected and hold their positions in Government just long enough to retire or leave on a very generous wicket. People in Government positions are to a large degree, "Insulated", from the hardship of trying to find employment. Do they really try to create long term employment opportunities or protect those that we have, for those working out side of Government??, in the main I would say no, as a Government they do not. :-k :-k

4.Those of us, now in their 50’s and early 60‘s will be the last working generation to have enjoyed full time employment throughout their working lives. :-k :-k .

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 2, 2020, 11:01 am

So this appears this will be the new norm for those returning to Thailand, as a Foreigner, presumably if you are on a Working Visa or a Long Stay Visa/Extension etc. [-X

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/117069 ... paign=news

Just love this: "Brokers and Insurance companies are already working around the clock to handle existing cases, so companies like M…………….have taken on more staff to handle this anticipated rush" - They they are busy opening new personal Bank Account, buying larger Safes so they can store their new found "Cash" and hiring Accountants to keep two sets of books. \:D/ \:D/ Oh and I forgot, the rush is on to find larger Brown Paper Bags, seems to be an expected shortage of them in the future [-X =D> \:D/

Therefore, I can only assume that if you leave Thailand on a Visa run or for another reason, and hold a Long Stay O, O-A or Retirement Visa , that when you reenter Thailand at some time in the future, you too will be ask to produce your $ 100,000 Covid-19 Insurance at the Airport Immigration, as well. :-k

If this is the case, then the next Foreigner that they will need to apply the Insurance rule to , will be the 30 Day Tourist even if he only plans to stay 1, 2 or 4 week, given a Tourist has the same level of exposure to catching Covid-19 whilst they are in Thailand as any returning Foreigner. Catching Covid-19 is not time related as far as I know. :-k :-k

PS. If you were a Tourist planning to stay 30 days in Thailand and then catch Covid-19 and then need to stay in an ICU for 14 days, then it stands to reason that your medical expenses for that stay, will be the same as that of a Foreigner who returned to Thailand, then caught Covid-19, say 3 months later and also needed to spend his 14 days in ICU. So why will the Thai Government not demand the same level of Insurance for a 30 Day Tourist or Business Visa person or even people returning on a 90 days ”O” Visa, as that they demand for the Foreigner returning on his Long Stay arrangement. You can catch Covid-19 on your way through the airport, can’t you? :confused: :confused:

Sound like the way to push for any and all Foreigner coming to Thailand to have this level of Insurance cover no matter way the Visas type, starting with the Foreigner who returns and then extending it to The existing Foreigner in Thailand who leaves and returns, and then eventually dragging in the 90 Day O Visa, regular Business Visa traveler and finally the 30 day Tourist, in all likelihood with that Insurance Policy needing to be purchased through a participating Thai based Insurance Company.

https://macallanbroker.com/pdf/Brochure ... -07-01.pdf

pipoz4444

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 3, 2020, 8:15 am

Twood appear this covid issue is stirring things up in the property market .. most would assume in a negative way but maybe that isnt so.

Anyone with a property for sale depending on location may see more activity . I currently have a house n Land for sale in Buriram about 20 to 30 mins from the city Chang race track and I mobile stadium and enquiries have picked up notably from overseas especially Europe and USA with what appears to be Thai partners of expats sourcing properties for sale as they wish to return / move perminently to the relative covid safe Thailand where the pandemic has been very well handled and seen low infections etc , my estate agent commented with many potential buyers requesting viewings as soon as they can return we are hoping to get a sale sooner rather than later...and with them having families here could be the earlier group of travelers allowed in.

Possibly one bright spot in what is a very bleak economic picture currently.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 3, 2020, 10:37 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 3, 2020, 8:15 am
Twood appear this covid issue is stirring things up in the property market .. most would assume in a negative way but maybe that isnt so.

Anyone with a property for sale depending on location may see more activity . I currently have a house n Land for sale in Buriram about 20 to 30 mins from the city Chang race track and I mobile stadium and enquiries have picked up notably from overseas especially Europe and USA with what appears to be Thai partners of expats sourcing properties for sale as they wish to return / move perminently to the relative covid safe Thailand where the pandemic has been very well handled and seen low infections etc , my estate agent commented with many potential buyers requesting viewings as soon as they can return we are hoping to get a sale sooner rather than later...and with them having families here could be the earlier group of travelers allowed in.

Possibly one bright spot in what is a very bleak economic picture currently.

DM
Yes, I expect that there will be a lot of people around the world looking to return to their home Countries or Base, particularly if work is getting scare where they are. Where else can they return turn to, from where they currently are working?

This will include Thai's who are working overseas at present and say "enough, I will go home its safer in Thailand than where I am".

Some will have cash from their time working/living overseas and some will also hope to pick up a good buy at a discount, in a weakening economy. I suspect their might be some in Thailand looking to go in the opposite direction as well :-k

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 6, 2020, 4:17 pm

I hate to repeat myself, but this does appear to be the new norm at least for the next few months

Extract: Foreigner Groups

Persons who hold a valid certificate of residence
Spouses, parents or child of a Thai national
Work permit holders
Students of Thai educational institutions
Persons who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand

All people in the aforementioned groups are required to have health insurance covering COVID-19, and a fit to fly certificate and undergo quarantine once they return to Thailand

Measures for Entering the Kingdom of Thailand.jpg

Measures for Entering the Kingdom of Thailand 2.jpg

It would be nice to know where to go to get that Health Insurance that covers COVID-19, specifically when you living or studying or getting treatment in Thailand

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/117144 ... paign=news

pipoz4444

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Sobering article ..here .. i know it says MAY close but just the thought of closures in any large numbers would kill Patts Phuket and most other tourist spots .. Udon should be safe :D

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1305734/n ... ermanently

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2020, 8:12 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 6, 2020, 4:17 pm
I hate to repeat myself, but this does appear to be the new norm at least for the next few months

Extract: Foreigner Groups

Persons who hold a valid certificate of residence
Spouses, parents or child of a Thai national
Work permit holders
Students of Thai educational institutions
Persons who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand

All people in the aforementioned groups are required to have health insurance covering COVID-19, and a fit to fly certificate and undergo quarantine once they return to Thailand

Measures for Entering the Kingdom of Thailand.jpg

Measures for Entering the Kingdom of Thailand 2.jpg

It would be nice to know where to go to get that Health Insurance that covers COVID-19, specifically when you living or studying or getting treatment in Thailand

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/117144 ... paign=news

pipoz4444
For those already in Thailand, at least one of the local insurance companies will accept foreigners as long as they have been in Thailand for 6 months. When they announced these special coverages last April or May, plenty complained about this 6-month qualification, maybe mostly those who were caught here while on holiday? I would think that most of the resident and semi-resident, long-stay foreigners will already qualify, especially those already here before the borders closed last March?

For those outside and wanting to return, there's at least one Pattaya-based insurance broker offering full medical insurance that includes the mandatory US$100k Covid-19 coverage and it's pretty much the same price as the same, full medical insurance was before Covid-19 was invented.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2020, 8:20 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 14, 2020, 6:52 am
Sobering article ..here .. i know it says MAY close but just the thought of closures in any large numbers would kill Patts Phuket and most other tourist spots .. Udon should be safe :D

Dm
A lot of what "Amazing Thailand" touted as their prime foreign tourist attractions were past their sell-by dates before WuFlu came along. There's only just so many floating markets, flying gibbon ziplines, jet skis, parasailing and island tours that are viable. Everyone copied everyone else and it all became less memorable.

Good opportunity right now to make real changes.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 14, 2020, 8:59 am

From what I'm hearing Koh Chang and similar are already near bust, anyone trying to sell anything near a beach is in trouble, they aren't even getting the influx of farang to buy the places without knowing what they're doing. Add to this the fact Thailand is losing popularity I'd say it's in a spot of bother.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 14, 2020, 10:43 am

i don't think this tourism sector is ever going to
be the same again . there are still hotels that have
not re-opened. but, i did see a new "cheers" bar
on end of soi sampan near 7-11 branch. thank
goodness. stressfull worrying about bars closed

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 14, 2020, 10:45 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Dm
The guy in the photo has had a hard day at the Office :-k :-k

pipoz4444

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”