UK in Lockdown.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

UK in Lockdown.

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 24, 2020, 4:20 am

UK coronavirus lockdown: what the latest Government advice means for you
Government has closed schools, pubs, restaurants, cafes, gyms and other businesses
By Gareth Davies, Breaking News Editor and Tony Diver 23 March 2020 • 8:53pm
Premium

The coronavirus outbreak has sent the UK into lockdown.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said you will only be able to leave your house for one of four reasons:
1. Shopping for necessities
2. Once a day for exercise
3. Medical need or providing care
4. Travelling to or from work (if you can't work from home)
All non-essential shops are closing, excluded are food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals.
Parks will stay open, but gyms including outdoor gyms, play-parks, kiosks, all places of worship except for funerals will close.
All gatherings of more than two people are going to be banned except for members of your own family. And these measures are in place for three weeks starting immediately.
Police will have power to issue on the spot fines of £30 for meeting without good reason...

saint
udonmap.com

Re: UK in Lockdown.

Post by saint » March 24, 2020, 4:59 am

Needed to be done . Its a shame Thailand has not adopted such dreconian measures .
It appears that the powers that be have allowed thousands of possibly infected citizens to all corners of the country , to ease the crisis in BKK , and in the traditional Thai way will hold the provincial governors responsible for outbreaks in their province . Pouring gasolene on a fire comes to mind .As Forrest would say " Stupid is what stupid does "
I for one are happy sacrificing two or three weeks of isolation for a few more years of living , although i now have no excuse not to fix the car , or touch up the paintwork on the house , or fix that dripping tap .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 24, 2020, 5:39 am

saint wrote:
March 24, 2020, 4:59 am
Needed to be done . Its a shame Thailand has not adopted such dreconian measures .
It appears that the powers that be have allowed thousands of possibly infected citizens to all corners of the country , to ease the crisis in BKK , and in the traditional Thai way will hold the provincial governors responsible for outbreaks in their province . Pouring gasolene on a fire comes to mind .As Forrest would say " Stupid is what stupid does "
I for one are happy sacrificing two or three weeks of isolation for a few more years of living , although i now have no excuse not to fix the car , or touch up the paintwork on the house , or fix that dripping tap .
Looks like my old Nissan NV might get some care and attention now, it’s been one of those jobs that needed doing... well you know how it goes, I’ve taken up doing a bit of gardening too, fresh chemical free veg should be a good thing. Fortunately I have a garden, I know some of you don’t, try not to get too stir crazy and stay safe. Back to the thread, it was interesting that he never actually said “lockdown”, he’s an astute man is our Boris, unfortunately the markets won’t fall for it, they know it for what it is, a name is irrelevant.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 24, 2020, 11:30 am

Interesting this once a day for exercise....
I can understand it but in the UK it has meant hundreds of people going to the parks.
This surely increases the risk of infection??
Better to go at midnight for exercise and risk being mugged....

I drove past Nong Prajak around 4.30pm and it was still open.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 24, 2020, 4:20 pm

You overestimate the Brits desire for exercise in the cold Zid. I am "stranded" in the UK and running my usual 6/10k daily. I pass no more than 10 people, keeping a distance from them. Having few designated outdoor tracks or exercise areas the like of which we have in Thailand is actually a benefit in these times.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 24, 2020, 7:38 pm

Hopefully when the rest of the world emerges from this calamity, the uncivilized untermensch of the UK will remain in lockdown and let the world prosper unrestrained.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 24, 2020, 7:51 pm

The parks, by exercise I was meaning loads of people go for a stroll and a chat not exercise as a fit chap like yourself would mean. :D
That's good you are doing 6-10km daily keeping yourself fit and strong.
Plus you have the added worry of not knowing if Leeds United will be automatically promoted or condemned to another year in the Championship ;)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 24, 2020, 10:12 pm

As a fit, strong untermensch, I never worry about LUFC..... if they dont go up, we will be able to take the moral high ground and whinge about the unter stench of corruption of the footballing authorities again.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 26, 2020, 9:57 am

The UK is extending visas for foreign nationals unable to leave because of travel bans till 31 May and could be extended further dependant on circumstances.
No foreigners to be punished for overstay for circumstances beyond their control.
(The Independent)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 26, 2020, 12:19 pm

Zidane wrote:
March 26, 2020, 9:57 am
The UK is extending visas for foreign nationals unable to leave because of travel bans till 31 May and could be extended further dependant on circumstances.
No foreigners to be punished for overstay for circumstances beyond their control.
(The Independent)
I DOUBT If They'll Do the SAME Here Though 'Eh Andy ??

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » March 26, 2020, 2:44 pm

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » March 26, 2020, 5:38 pm

Ill 51 year old man makes plea for people to take coronavirus seriously

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 7, 2020, 7:06 pm

Well, The''Poisoned Dwarf'' has just announced another 3 weeks lock down for Scotland... Be interesting to see what will happen on Sunday if Boris lifts it in England. Doubtful but could happen.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2020, 7:30 pm

^ I saw her announcement. It will be under continuous review and they have the power to rescind laws regarding their lock down if the prevailing situation changes for the better. Sort of the same as Prayuth is doing with the Thai 30-day extension.

If Boris decides to "pull a Prayuth" and free the masses from next Monday, they can compare the results.

Listening to UK radio, although there's a public groundswell for continuing the lock down in England, there's growing evidence it may not be altruism and social responsibility that's driving it. A whole lot of furloughed workers have found sitting at home, binging on Netflix and playing Fortnite on 80% pay is the best thing since sliced bread.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 7, 2020, 9:56 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2020, 7:30 pm
^ I saw her announcement. It will be under continuous review and they have the power to rescind laws regarding their lock down if the prevailing situation changes for the better. Sort of the same as Prayuth is doing with the Thai 30-day extension.

If Boris decides to "pull a Prayuth" and free the masses from next Monday, they can compare the results.

Listening to UK radio, although there's a public groundswell for continuing the lock down in England, there's growing evidence it may not be altruism and social responsibility that's driving it. A whole lot of furloughed workers have found sitting at home, binging on Netflix and playing Fortnite on 80% pay is the best thing since sliced bread.
100% correct.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 8, 2020, 6:40 am

tamada wrote:

True or not , ive just seen on the news that some official stated its Boriss intention to lift any restrictions nationwide .
Are they not holding a Cobra meeting today . Virtually of course , because even Boris does not want to be in the same room as the ginger minger . Maybe things will be ironed out in that meeting , whatever way he decides to go .

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » May 8, 2020, 7:45 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
May 7, 2020, 9:56 pm
tamada wrote:

100% correct.
Agree The choice of running yourself into the ground on a 12hr shift pattern or lazing around at home for 80% pay was always a no brainer, hmmm didn’t see that coming.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 8:36 am

^ The 20% "loss" of earnings is more than made up for by not having to buy petrol, buy lunch, etc.. The self-driving furloughed are even getting breaks from their car insurance and other perks.

We heard a lot if noise early on about a minority that were legitimately between jobs and thus didn't qualify for Sunak's 80% goofing off allowance. Now we begin to hear about the far larger group that did and are milking it.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 8, 2020, 3:54 pm

Right wing paparatzi have made the decision for him with their banner headlines Happy Monday first steps to freedom etc

There are now hundreds and thousands on the road regardless of what BOJO says on Sunday

Govt dithering and secrecy have now led to a complete shambles with areas of UK having increases in cases and the country no where near ready to come out of lockdown (still major lack of tests and PPE available)

tam, dont people eat when they are not at work? I've always still found it necessary to eat even when i'm at home :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2020, 5:19 pm

^ You may be surprised at how many workers don't have access to the subsidized (free) works canteen. Then there's the more picky office workers that simply must have something more eclectic from the downtown bistro but are somehow getting by with a cup-a-soup and 80% of base at home.

Then there's bus, train, taxi fares saved.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”