Has anybody thought this?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Has anybody thought this?

Post by Whistler » March 17, 2020, 6:07 pm

I had noticed that the epicenters of the Covid 19 hotspots are all in cooler, temperate zones. Korea, Italy, Austria, Spain, mainly Northern USA, France, Iran etc. Very much Northern hemisphere locations coming off a cold winter.

I had thoughts that SE Asian countries may have been under reporting or not testing and that may be the case, but reported outbreaks in the tropics are more modest compared to colder locations.

I went looking for information on this and found this interesting piece of research, I hope this is true, it might spare us in Thailand, especially as we are coming into the hottest part of the year.

https://gvn.org/enhanced-model-for-moni ... 19-spread/

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Has anybody thought this?

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2020, 6:15 pm

I think UM member Zidane touched on this subject somewhere in the numerous Covid related threads .

Hope it accurate info as its coming up the hottest time of year here so fingers crossed.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » March 17, 2020, 6:35 pm

When are we going to get back to valued PERSONAL posts. I for one am sick and tired of being reffered to websites that I can find myself.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 17, 2020, 6:44 pm

Well, sometimes websites are are missed.Ends up interesting
Same with Youtube. I thought I'd seen all the videos on a certain subject, and then someone sends out one not ever seen! No big deal passing it by. ...is it?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 17, 2020, 6:47 pm

joudon wrote:
March 17, 2020, 6:35 pm
When are we going to get back to valued PERSONAL posts. I for one am sick and tired of being reffered to websites that I can find myself.
Simple fix, ignore the posts

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 17, 2020, 6:59 pm

The old Udon forum Catch-22.

When I posted info about possible Covit 19 case at Nong Bua Lamphu, Doodoo and tamada bagged me out as I could not corroborate.

Now I make new post on this thread with corroborating scientific article and joudon bags me out.

Totally confused now, to reference or not to reference?

Perhaps the other three posters should look at Vince's thread, but I am loath to provide a URL for fear of......posting anything on this forum
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 8:29 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 17, 2020, 6:59 pm
The old Udon forum Catch-22.

When I posted info about possible Covit 19 case at Nong Bua Lamphu, Doodoo and tamada bagged me out as I could not corroborate.

Now I make new post on this thread with corroborating scientific article and joudon bags me out.

Totally confused now, to reference or not to reference?

Perhaps the other three posters should look at Vince's thread, but I am loath to provide a URL for fear of......posting anything on this forum
To be honest it’s better to back up your posts with links, there’s so much fake news about it helps people know the source and it’s validity. You can’t please all of the people all of the time eh!
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2020, 9:11 pm

Supermarkets worldwide are being gutted by panic buyers and other ignorant people loading up multiple trolleys.

We drove past a few very busy local markets this afternoon on our way to Ubon. We stopped at the last one to get something fresh for dinner and we didn't see any evidence of panic buying. Everything must fit in a couple of plastic bags at most that goes in the basket or hangs from the handlebars.

Why don't the western supermarkets (and the ones getting hammered in Bangkok) simply chain up the shopping carts. You can't buy any more than you can carry in your two hands.

I doubt anybody has thought of this.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 17, 2020, 9:22 pm

tamada wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:11 pm
Supermarkets worldwide are being gutted by panic buyers and other ignorant people loading up multiple trolleys.

We drove past a few very busy local markets this afternoon on our way to Ubon. We stopped at the last one to get something fresh for dinner and we didn't see any evidence of panic buying. Everything must fit in a couple of plastic bags at most that goes in the basket or hangs from the handlebars.

Why don't the western supermarkets (and the ones getting hammered in Bangkok) simply chain up the shopping carts. You can't buy any more than you can carry in your two hands.

Plastic bags have been outlawed in many western countries, over one year in Australasia. So people bring their own two wheel shopping trolleys to the supermarket, locking up trolleys will not work. Education may, however there is no cure for stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvnYIxv_364

Also no cure for off-topic posts on a thread talking about climate impact on Covis 19.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 17, 2020, 9:26 pm

two wheel shopping trolley
How does that work?
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2020, 10:07 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:22 pm
tamada wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:11 pm

Plastic bags have been outlawed in many western countries, over one year in Australasia. So people bring their own two wheel shopping trolleys to the supermarket, locking up trolleys will not work. Education may, however there is no cure for stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvnYIxv_364

Also no cure for off-topic posts on a thread talking about climate impact on Covis 19.
I spent a week in England at the start of the month and hit all the supermarkets. Everyone brings their own recyclable carrier bags these days and the stores all sell them to those that forgot to bring them.

So, back to the 2-bag cap and it doesn't matter if it was an old one or a new one. Chain up the trolleys. Sorted.

I have seen little old ladies with their 2-wheel totes. Hardly the same size as an Asda trolley though.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 17, 2020, 10:41 pm

Giggle wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:26 pm
two wheel shopping trolley
How does that work?
Here you go giggly one.
bdb1e7e5-255f-476e-8937-a8733f1284ee_1.85040760c385d03f451ec35bc65afa26.jpeg.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2020, 11:15 pm

Back on topic.

That's a very interesting article and the author's have done a solid job of stressing that since this novel coronavirus is less than 3 months old and only flagged as pandemic ~10 days ago, there's a whole lot of hypotheticals in their reasoning. The huge difference in population densities between northern and southern hemispheres won't make it easy to make correlations as the seasons change either.

AFAIK, currently there's no opinion on how climate impacts Covid-19's virulence and the WHO and others are keeping their own counsel on this. Lending false hope could be a huge deal breaker for them and any governments that prematurely subscribe to this.

I note that the locations of the most virulent and serious outbreaks broadly collocates where rhubarb seasonally grows. Did anyone seen any rhubarb at the farm outlets this year? I wasn't here January and February when it's usually available.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2020, 1:29 am

Our daughter and I have talked about this a lot......I'm guessing more data has been collected on this virus than any previous. How does climate, diet, age, weather, health, and government intervention affect the spread? Scientists may not have all the answers yet, but it'd seem they'll learn more than from any other previous pandemic.

Also on the subject of 'has anybody thought of this?'.......Assuming the work-at-home edict continues for many people, how will that affect future work habits? Home schooling or schooling on line. Home deliveries (Amazon is hiring another 100,000 workers). Will people adopt other cultures ways of greeting instead of handshakes and hugs? Will it be the end of movie theaters?
Interesting times

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 18, 2020, 7:18 am

parrot wrote:
March 18, 2020, 1:29 am
Assuming the work-at-home edict continues for many people, how will that affect future work habits?
You might find this from the Harvard Business School relevant and interesting: How the Coronavirus Is Already Rewriting the Future of Business.

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/how-the-coro ... f-business

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 18, 2020, 8:23 am

Sorry whistler but the capital of the Philipines is in lock down this is as hot country as Thailand

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2020, 8:59 am

Thanks, Paul, for the link

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 18, 2020, 9:23 am

noosard wrote:
March 18, 2020, 8:23 am
Sorry whistler but the capital of the Philipines is in lock down this is as hot country as Thailand
Maybe so, but only 187 cases in the whole country, definitely not a major hotspot

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2020, 9:31 am

Whistler wrote:
March 18, 2020, 9:23 am
noosard wrote:
March 18, 2020, 8:23 am
Maybe so, but only 187 cases in the whole country, definitely not a major hotspot
I wonder if there's a quarelsome faction of foreigners in the Philippines who think Duterte's government is lying and doing a poor job?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 18, 2020, 9:41 am

How many people have been tested???
Anywhere

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”