Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Corona Virus / COVID-19 Important Information

Post by Khun Paul » April 27, 2020, 5:50 pm

Lets us be honest FLU KILLS more than this VIRUS has and we NEVER lockdown or shut Airports, restrict travel etc, yet this time we are.
Why ..It is a Coronavirus just like FLU.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 27, 2020, 6:17 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 27, 2020, 5:50 pm
Lets us be honest FLU KILLS more than this VIRUS has and we NEVER lockdown or shut Airports, restrict travel etc, yet this time we are.
Don’t spread lies.

It is far more contagious than the usual flu. There are no vaccines. There are no antivirals that have been proved to work

It kills 10 times more People

SARS is a Coronavirus 10% kill rate

MERS is a Coronavirus 40% kill rate

Some common colds are caused by a Coronavirus 0% kill rate
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on April 27, 2020, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2020, 6:20 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
If it's just the flu, and you are not alone in making that statement, you are at odds with just about every epidemiologist in the world. They have wildly different infection rates and wildly different death rates.

We have all seen many, many instances of the flu in our lives, but frankly I have seen most who have the flu never go to a hospital or a Dr. so it never gets reported. In addition, there is a vaccine for the flu, but none for COVID 19, if it was just the flu, the broad spectrum flu shot would prevent people getting COVID. As it is, flu sufferers typically pop into bed, drink lemon hot water, buy an over the counter medicine and stay in bed until better. The only ones that get reported are serious cases and even then the death rate is 1/10 of the common flu. No doubt there are mild cases of COVID that do not get reported, but I would suggest this is also the case with the flu.

however, death rates for reported cases of the flu and reported cases of COVID 19, show they are two entirely different beasts.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 27, 2020, 8:10 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
What are you trying to say:

- flu is a coronavirus - it's not, it is an influenza virus, or

- flu is flu - yes, that is correct, or

- flu kills more than Covid-19 - we don't know that yet, because it is far too early to say so

- something else?

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » April 28, 2020, 1:40 am

National alert in UK as ‘coronavirus-related condition may be emerging in children

https://www.hsj.co.uk/acute-care/exclus ... 96.article

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » April 28, 2020, 2:16 am

Zidane wrote:
April 27, 2020, 4:09 pm
Emergency Decree extended till 31st May.
Curfew stays in place.
Only limited inter provincial travel allowed.
Some more businesses will be allowed to open during the month but dependant upon virus statistics.
Don't know about the alcohol ban? Anyone got any info ?....down to my last 5 beers ;)
there's an awful lot of granny quik marts that are
still open on every back soi & out of way place.
i suspect a thai agent could procure nearly anything

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 28, 2020, 6:50 am

jackspratt wrote:
April 27, 2020, 8:10 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
What are you trying to say:

- flu is a coronavirus - it's not, it is an influenza virus, or

- flu is flu - yes, that is correct, or

- flu kills more than Covid-19 - we don't know that yet, because it is far too early to say so

- something else?
As I understand it the FLU Virus is part of the same Coronavirus family , airborne and unable to be killed. Hence the Flu season in many countries, over time its strength has diminished and many of us have had it mildly so often that we have built up immunity to its various strains. However it still kills each and every year but we do NOT close down the world to deal with it , do we ?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by vincemunday » April 28, 2020, 7:05 am

Thai government to step up production of an anti viral drug Favipiravir to counter the effects of Covid 19, the worry is the testing seems a little patchy.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... avipiravir

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 28, 2020, 7:27 am

Perhaps some good news, the Oxford University research into a vaccine takes a leap forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/worl ... xford.html
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2020, 9:11 am

"Influenza (the flu) and COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, are both infectious respiratory illnesses. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses."

"The coronavirus is from an entirely different family of viruses, so it very well could behave differently."

But as you said they both kill and we have to change our ways

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 28, 2020, 9:35 am

Khun Paul wrote:
We have seen this said by many. what do you base this on and what sources can you quote?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 28, 2020, 10:13 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2020, 6:50 am

As I understand it the FLU Virus is part of the same Coronavirus family, airborne and unable to be killed.
Then your understanding is flawed As they are not the same family and no viruses are unable to be killed

SARS, MERS, and SARS-COVID-19 are Orthocoronavirinae

Influenza is Orthomyxoviridae

As a virologist you make a reasonable refuse operative.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 28, 2020, 4:32 pm

Okay my information was wrong that I will admit, unlike many on here I see. thankyou for your information . But your comment about killing a Virus, suggest you look at what you wrote, which is exactly the same as I wrote . Touche'

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 28, 2020, 4:36 pm

To clarify having been advised
A. Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses include some cases of the common cold, while more lethal varieties can cause SARS, MERS, and COVID-19.

B Orthomyxoviridae is a family of RNA viruses. It includes seven genera: Influenzavirus A, Influenzavirus B, Influenzavirus C, Influenzavirus D, Isavirus, Thogotovirus, and Quaranjavirus. The first four genera contain viruses that cause influenza in vertebrates, including birds, humans, and other mammals.

Everyone now completely clear.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 28, 2020, 4:37 pm

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 28, 2020, 6:10 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2020, 4:32 pm
Okay my information was wrong that I will admit, unlike many on here I see. thankyou for your information . But your comment about killing a Virus, suggest you look at what you wrote, which is exactly the same as I wrote . Touche'
Nope ...... still wrong.

There is a double negative in what Woody wrote.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 28, 2020, 6:56 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2020, 4:32 pm
But your comment about killing a Virus, suggest you look at what you wrote, which is exactly the same as I wrote . Touche'
No it is not the same it is the exact opposite. Please study it.
[teaching mode]

While the use of a double negative is, in general, considered poor use of English, confusing and most often used by mistake and by people who are thought to be badly educated (I didn't see nothing, I ain't got no money) there are occasions when it is appropriate (she is not without charm, the Orange ain’t not incredibly stupid.)

You said
airborne and unable to be killed.
= the virus can not be killed.

To your phrase I added no viruses are unable to be killed = all viruses can be killed, but I deliberately used your own phrase for emphasis.

[/teaching mode]

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 28, 2020, 8:09 pm

The EU Manage to get a delivery of PPE to Italy today, but there's no difference between them and Germany, honest! I'm so glad we are out of this nonsense, talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 85601?s=20

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 28, 2020, 8:24 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 28, 2020, 8:09 pm
The EU Manage to get a delivery of PPE to Italy today, but there's no difference between them and Germany, honest! I'm so glad we are out of this nonsense, talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 85601?s=20
Agreed. Far better to announce a huge PPE purchase from Turkey before it was even bought, send a military cargo aircraft (one of three on standby) to get it and have the world's press staking out RAF Brize Norton at 3 a.m. to observe all three pallets being offloaded. Then refuse to confirm what was on the three pallets or where it went.

I voted to leave BTW.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 28, 2020, 8:28 pm

I think I'll wait for the inevitable post-mortem before I pass judgement, if it turns out that's what happened there's some questions that need answers.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”