Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by AlexO » April 19, 2021, 11:19 am

tamada wrote:
April 18, 2021, 6:36 pm
AlexO wrote:
April 18, 2021, 3:01 pm
tamada wrote:
April 18, 2021, 9:21 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:46 am
tamada wrote:
April 17, 2021, 11:15 am

PS: It looks like the 'Kent variant' is 50 times as transmissible therefore my math is totally buggered.
That is a typo. There is no way that it is that much more transmissible. We’re it accurate it would in all reporting. It was probably supposed to be + 0.5 and even at that number it is high
Take it up with the authors then. I do agree that it's probably penned by someone who conflates logarithmic with linear.

"First sequenced in September 2020, the UK variant of coronavirus emerged in southeast England, and is commonly known as B.1.1.7. It is around 50 times more transmissible than other covid variants, which means it can cause many more deaths if allowed to spread uncontrolled. ..."[/i]

https://www.newscientist.com/definition ... t-b-1-1-7/
The first variant of Covid-19 was discovered in Wuhan, China so why not (as DT used to say) the China Virus or the Wuhan virus. Maybe we are just too scared to say the truth. Again your authors say "emerged" rather than identified when you have already confirmed the Dutch found it first but did not want to call it the Cloggie or EU variant.
The scientific community are the ones linking variants to their origins. AFAIK, the Brazilian and South African strains were labeled as such once the scientists IN ENGLAND had done the full, genomic work that Brazil and South Africa didn't have the resources or expertise to do quickly, same as the Dutch. Chances are the new Indian strain was identified by the same labs in England.

Some folk are inveterate labelers, while others want see something in a name that isn't there. Call it WuFlu if it makes you feel better. In the meantime, I think I'll call it Doris as she was the least popular of my many aunties.
Can understand Brazil and South Africa not having the scientific resources, but Holland a member of the EU and all the resources available to them from 27 other nations??? Macron and Aunty Angela must be having fits that a small island is superior scientifically to their exalted dictatorship.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 19, 2021, 12:19 pm

Buri Ram village locked down after a dead hospital patient found infected with COVID-19
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/buri-ram-v ... -covid-19/

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 19, 2021, 2:36 pm

More than 100 nations, led by India and South Africa, are pushing to temporarily suspend patent rules at the World Trade Organization during this pandemic. But the move has been blocked by a small number of countries, including the UK and the US, as well as by the EU.
By helping block a patent waiver, the UK government is stifling vaccine production, which means many countries will wait years for sufficient doses. That risks letting the virus run rampant, leading to new variants and putting our own vaccination programme in jeopardy. It would be a reckless act of self-mutilation.

Seems greed is the driving force to allow the virus to continue to mutate

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 3:12 pm

noosard wrote:
April 19, 2021, 2:36 pm
More than 100 nations, led by India and South Africa, are pushing to temporarily suspend patent rules at the World Trade Organization during this pandemic. But the move has been blocked by a small number of countries, including the UK and the US, as well as by the EU.
By helping block a patent waiver, the UK government is stifling vaccine production, which means many countries will wait years for sufficient doses. That risks letting the virus run rampant, leading to new variants and putting our own vaccination programme in jeopardy. It would be a reckless act of self-mutilation.

You reckon Boris wants to rebuild the British Empire? Or Biden wants to build the American one? Or Von Der Leyen wants to build a European one? You know, he who has all the vaccines?

Aren't all these countries party to the Covax agreement where stocks of free vaccines are being laid aside specifically for the poorer nations?

https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

No too sure if I would want to be vaccinated by some cheap clone mass produced from an Indian pharma business that has inadequate quality controls. Even if it was being produced under strict quality controls, having too many production facilities or unverifiable supply lines isn't necessarily a fast track to getting everyone vaccinated. Fraud in pharmaceuticals is already a big issue and opening this 'must need' vaccine to broader production and distribution without good oversight is open for abuse. It might lead to seeing Covid vaccines popping up in Burmese, Lao and Cambodian border markets along with Marlboro's, Johnny Walker and iPhones.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » April 19, 2021, 6:16 pm

tamada wrote:
April 19, 2021, 3:12 pm
noosard wrote:

You reckon Boris wants to rebuild the British Empire? Or Biden wants to build the American one? Or Von Der Leyen wants to build a European one? You know, he who has all the vaccines?

Aren't all these countries party to the Covax agreement where stocks of free vaccines are being laid aside specifically for the poorer nations?

https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

No too sure if I would want to be vaccinated by some cheap clone mass produced from an Indian pharma business that has inadequate quality controls. Even if it was being produced under strict quality controls, having too many production facilities or unverifiable supply lines isn't necessarily a fast track to getting everyone vaccinated. Fraud in pharmaceuticals is already a big issue and opening this 'must need' vaccine to broader production and distribution without good oversight is open for abuse. It might lead to seeing Covid vaccines popping up in Burmese, Lao and Cambodian border markets along with Marlboro's, Johnny Walker and iPhones.
They've already busted a ring selling fake vaccine, on the other hand if there was no patent on them and governments paid for the shots. Then forgeries would be pointless as they couldn't sell them .the cost of immunisations would be a lot less than the carry on we have at the moment. 25 billion to vaccinate everyone or just keep watching trillions disappear. No brainer really
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 19, 2021, 7:45 pm

noosard wrote:

India and South Africa, notably the first, abiding by Patent Rules or any other Rules for that matter, is a joke, at any time. :confused:

So some nations have finally woken up to the fact that nothing in life is free and that they may need to pay for that vaccine idea now owned by another Country. Mind you, a Country that has done the research, put in the funds and rolled out a Vaccine. =D> =D>

Now India and South Africa and others, are sniffing around the backdoor trying to find a technically legal way to steal it. I am not surprised. [-X

If they Pay they will get and get quicker. If they don't wish to Pay, then they should save up in their pippy bank, get a ticket and stand in the queue. =; [-(

And yes the COVAX Agreement will theoretically set aside and or deliver some 2 Billion doses, from Pfzier, AZ, J&J , Sanofi and maybe others, by end 2021, with arguably some 1.3 Billion doses to be allocated to these lower income Counties, which will hardly be enough to vaccinate the 3 Billion plus population of the 92 No Countries, whoa are probably looking to make their own copies on the side.

The Link below indicates the COVAX Global Supply Forecast, but it is not final yet and wont be enough for the 92.

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/file ... recast.pdf

Also keep in mind it will be WHO allocating those Doses brought to it through COVAX, to those lower income Countries, and we can all trust WHO to do this fairly and without bias, for the right reasons, can't we? :-$ :-$

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on April 19, 2021, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 8:06 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
April 19, 2021, 7:45 pm
noosard wrote:

India and South Africa and others, abiding by Patent Rules, issued by the WIPO would be a joke, at any time. :confused:

So some nations have finally woken up to the fact that nothing in life is free and that they may need to pay for that vaccine idea now owned by another Country. Mind you, a Country that has done the research, put in the funds and rolled out a Vaccine. =D> =D>

Now India and South Africa and others, are sniffing around the backdoor trying to find a technically legal way to steal it. I am not surprised. [-X

If they Pay they will get. If they don't Pay, they should save in that pippy bank, get a ticket and stand in the queue. =; [-(

And yes the COVAX Agreement will theoretically set aside and or deliver some 2 Billion doses, from Pfzier, AZ, J&J , Sanofi and maybe others, by end 2021, with arguably some 1.3 Billion doses to be allocated to these lower income Counties, which will hardly be enough to vaccinate the 3 Billion plus population of the 92 No Countries, whoa are probably looking to make their own copies on the side.

The Link below indicates the COVAX Global Supply Forecast, but it is not final yet and wont be enough for the 92.

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/file ... recast.pdf

Also keep in mind it will be WHO allocating those Doses brought it through COVAX, to those lower income Countries, and we can all trust WHO to do this fairly and without bias, for the right reasons, can't we? :-$ :-$

pipoz4444
Spot on pippoz =D> =D>
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Post by leterry60614 » April 20, 2021, 11:23 am

From Reuters News:

« U.S. State Department says COVID-19 vaccines shipped for all overseas workforce

The U.S. State Department has delivered COVID-19 vaccines to all of its eligible workforce deployed abroad as of Sunday and is expecting its entire workforce to have been fully vaccinated by mid-May, State Department officials said. »

Curious to know what vaccine it is, Moderna or Pfizer ?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 20, 2021, 7:43 pm

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... pen-may-17

Schools still on target to open May 17th (so far)

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 21, 2021, 1:23 pm

The State of Alaska is offering free Covid vaccines to anyone who visits the state. The first vaccination will be given at the airport upon arrival. The second 14 days later. The only condition is you spend 2 weeks in the state.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 21, 2021, 7:41 pm

It was inevitable, that this would happen in India, even after 14 months of Covid-19 and all the warning and forecast of a second or third Wave to come, they are simply woefully unprepared.

Depending on what Link you look at today, India had some 295,158 new cases yesterday. That's just in one day. Then watch the 7.34 min video on how they need to dispose of the Dead? I seriously doubt if India knows how many people are dying each day from Covid-19 in their country, but I will stake my last dollar on the fact that, it is a hell of a lot lot more that what they are reporting to the World. ](*,) :yikes: :fryingpan: If you are thinking of travelling to Goa for a holiday, I would wait 5 years at least. :-k :-k

Just thank your lucky stars that you are actually in Thailand, with the latest bout of Covid-19.

Some might level criticism at Thailand for their management of the Covid-19 during this most recent outbreak, but I for one would not. I would actually praise Thailand for the way it managed and continues to manage the situation, overall, certainly when compared to other Countries, that are clearly ill still prepared.

Thailand may not be a G20 Member Nation, yet amazingly India is a G20 Member, supposedly ranking at No 6, ahead of UK, France, Canada and others? It's got me stuffed how India even gets a seat at the G20 Leader's Summit in 2021 or any Economic Forum for that matter, after watching the AZ Video Link. ](*,) ](*,)

Is this a criticism of the Indian Economic Model and Government Management? YES........., you are damn right, it is.

Al JAZEERA LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JEJtPP8eBg

NEW CASE NUMBERS
https://www.google.com/search?q=india+c ... 10&dpr=1.5

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/india/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 21, 2021, 7:49 pm

As corrupt, self-serving, prejudiced and woefully segregated as India is, it serves as a large buffer (in all aspects) to the Chinese and Russian influences in south Asia and a counterbalance to the lunacy of Pakistan. It's a bit of a trade and industry powerhouse too.

They've also got the bomb.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 21, 2021, 8:23 pm

tamada wrote:
April 21, 2021, 7:49 pm
As corrupt, self-serving, prejudiced and woefully segregated as India is, it serves as a large buffer (in all aspects) to the Chinese and Russian influences in south Asia and a counterbalance to the lunacy of Pakistan. It's a bit of a trade and industry powerhouse too.

I don't see how their geographical location and trade position will assist them in stemming the tide of Covid 19 ravaging through the Country, but then again, the Bomb may, if they ever work out how to light the fuse and where to put it. :-k

pipoz4444

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 21, 2021, 8:27 pm

tamada wrote:

They certainly got a big problem with covid thats a fact looking at the crazy numbers ..

India also has stunningly beautiful women , own British Steel SCUNTHORPE and have smashing food ,currently Chicken Dopiaza and Lamb Rogun Josh are my favourites... i did once go to Goa but was immediately put off on the first outdoor sortee when a bloke dropped a steamer in the gutter right in front of me...no bum gun or tissue just dropped his dress thing n walked off , i was in shock it all happened so quick ... IMO simply not cricket old chap.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 21, 2021, 8:33 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
April 21, 2021, 8:23 pm
tamada wrote:

I don't see how their geographical location and trade position will assist them in stemming the tide of Covid 19 ravaging through the Country, but then again, the Bomb may, if they ever work out how to light the fuse and where to put it. :-k

pipoz4444
Neither do I quite frankly but I thought you were bitchin' about their G20 status.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 21, 2021, 8:41 pm

[/quote]

They certainly got a big problem with covid thats a fact looking at the crazy numbers ..

India also has stunningly beautiful women , own British Steel SCUNTHORPE and have smashing food ,currently Chicken Dopiaza and Lamb Rogun Josh are my favourites... i did once go to Goa but was immediately put off on the first outdoor sortee when a bloke dropped a steamer in the gutter right in front of me...no bum gun or tissue just dropped his dress thing n walked off , i was in shock it all happened so quick ... IMO simply not cricket old chap.

DM
[/quote]

Have witnessed the same, but in Indonesia, with the "Pink Donut" hanging over the wall edge of the flood canals, dropping a brown Mullet, with a lady 50 meters downstream, knee deep in the water, washing her clothes, and dogging the Mullet as it floated past. Just not my cup of tea. :-$

Mind you Indonesia has a similar massive problem with Covid-19 at present, which doesn't get much airplay. In some way, it is for similar reasons to that of India, but with a few other "Wobblies" thrown in to help the crisis. Again, the real numbers are not coming out of Indonesia as well.

Will dream of better things tonight, hopefully \:D/

pipoz4444

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 21, 2021, 9:13 pm

Seems rightly so or not entertainment venues are getting the blame fir the current rampant 3rd covid wave ..nothing mentioned about allowing the anual bkk exodus for SK

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -provinces

Dm

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 22, 2021, 6:32 am

No rare clots in clinical trials
These rare clots were not picked up in clinical trials because of sample size, RMIT University professor of immunology Magdalena Plebanski said.
AstraZeneca's phase three clinical trials involved 32,459 participants: roughly 20,000 of whom received the vaccine, with the remainder given a placebo.

"There will be things that get picked up when you start testing millions of people, rather than thousands," Professor Plebanski said.

The guinea pig testing

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 22, 2021, 8:28 am

^ It is what it is. Other vaccines get mostly the same beta-testing when it comes to the numbers of participants. However, no other vaccine has had the rapid roll out and implementation as the ones for C-19. Where a trend of contraindications in other vaccines may take several years to become noticeable, it's broadly the same numbers and percentages, ie. 8 or 10 years of jabbing telescoped into roughly 4 months.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 22, 2021, 8:55 am

International medical charity Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF) has urged rich countries to stop blocking a patent waiver plan that could boost the global production of coronavirus vaccines.

Members of the World Trade Organization (WTO) will meet virtually for informal talks on Thursday to discuss a proposal to waive intellectual property rights for producing COVID-19 vaccines and other coronavirus-related medical tools for the duration of the pandemic.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/2 ... d-vaccines

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”